Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life by Thich…

Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life

by Thich Nhat Hanh

I very much liked the first 25% or so of this book. After that it was repetitive and I lost interest. I skimmed through some of it and saw advice about handling specific problems with eating and moving which looked good, but my interest was in what mindful eating is and the aspects of it. I got that in the first part of the book and did not want to wade through the rehash. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |
This book has helped change my relationship to food and eating to make it even healthier than it already was. For anyone who has challenges in this area and wants an introspective and 'zen' approach, read this! ( )
  rubymadden | Mar 22, 2014 |
More weight loss stuff than I wanted, and it had a slight tone of gimmick to it. The mindfulness exercises were a good introduction to the practice for people new to it, but it was completely familiar if you have read other (better) works by Thich Nhat Hanh. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
Eat less. Move more. Be mindful. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 3, 2011 |
From my blog...

Ever pondered why one eats when stressed? Tried dieting only to fall back into the same old routine weeks or months later? If so, Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life by Thich Nhat Hanh and Dr. Lilian Cheung may be the book to read. The authors, while using an astonishing amount of documented research, point out some rather key functions of why so many fail on their diets, over-eat, or eat while stressed out. The authors suggest that rather than being obsessed with counting every calorie or trying to calculate whether or not enough calories were burned in one's last workout to allow a slice of cake, one should rather step back and take a look inward. One must consciously make oneself aware not only of how one eats and what one chooses to eat, but more importantly, one must understand one's innermost needs, desires, and actions. Savor is not only well written and well researched, the authors offer up sound advise, suggestions, substitutions, definitions, and illustrations to get their point across. Savor is a much-needed slice-of-reality book in today's society where just reading the appendices alone would benefit many readers, this one included. I cannot praise Savor enough. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Mar 26, 2010 |
If you have picked up Savor because you want more peace and happiness in everyday life, then you are in the right place.

Common sense tells us that to lose weight, we must eat less and exercise more. But somehow we get stalled. We start on a weight-loss program with good intentions but cannot stay on track. Neither the countless fad diets, nor the annual spending of $50 billion on weight loss helps us feel better or lose weight.

Too many of us are in a cycle of shame and guilt. We spend countless hours worrying about what we ate or if we exercised enough, blaming ourselves for actions that we can't undo. We are stuck in the past and unable to live in the present—that moment in which we do have the power to make changes in our lives.

With Savor, world-renowned Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh and Harvard nutritionist Dr. Lilian Cheung show us how to end our struggles with weight once and for all.

Offering practical tools, including personalized goal setting, a detailed nutrition guide, and a mindful living plan, the authors help us to uncover the roots of our habits and then guide us as we transform our actions. Savor teaches us how to easily adopt the practice of mindfulness and integrate it into eating, exercise, and all facets of our daily life, so that being conscious and present becomes a core part of our being.

It is the awareness of the present moment, the realization of why we do what we do, that enables us to stop feeling bad and start changing our behavior. Savor not only helps us achieve the healthy weight and well-being we seek, but it also brings to the surface the rich abundance of life available to us in every moment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

A Buddhist leader and a Harvard nutritionist offer cutting-edge science and deep Buddhist wisdom on the subject of eating with one's health and the welfare of the planet in mind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,460,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible