dismiss

Green Mars (1993)

by Kim Stanley Robinson

Series: Mars Trilogy (2)

On Mars, a war of independence is brewing in an effort to end the exploitation of the planet by Earth-based multinational corporations. In a bid to forestall the conflict, Earth sends Art Randolph to negotiate with the revolutionaries.

English (42)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (45)
Decent continuation of the story, though it bogs down a bit in the middle with quite a few repetitive chapters on ongoing domestic routines and the like.

But by the end, oh boy, does plot come roaring back with a vengeance. What an ending! What a future! ( )
  goliathonline | Jul 7, 2020 |
Green Mars is, unfortunately, a bit dated.

The science is still freaking awesome and the sheer amount of cutting edge technology, be it biology, the physical sciences, the sheer insanity of terraforming a whole planet... still blows me away. Some of my favorite parts, or, indeed, *most* of my favorite parts, are the scientific expositions, ruminations, digressions, and especially the plot developments and twists that come from the science!

Where I have a little issue is where I had a little issue in Red Mars. It's the people. I don't really mind all the drug use or sex addiction or all the little social explorations when it comes to these brothers from another mother (world), but there *is* an awful lot of seemingly pointless, (if otherwise presented in a non-SF novel, rather decent) characterization and character studies that seem to go nowhere. Too much Phyllis and Maya, to be honest.

It's not true for all of them, of course. I love Nirgal (but not Jackie), Sax, and Art. It's really a toss-up between Sax and Nirgal, though. Nadia was nice to see, however. :)

And that leads us to the main focus of the novel. At first, I thought it was going to be mostly about a pristine Mars versus a terraformed one, but it wasn't to be. It's about Mars versus Earth.

It always was going to be this. It's kinda obvious, isn't it? :) Revolution!!! No more dictating terms, unlimited immigration, police forces, policies that can't really be enforced over THIS much distance! And then, of course, there's the other big snag.

Prolonged life. Overpopulation. Near immortality aside from all the degraded mental acuity and memory loss. :) The Earth is in deep shit. And it looks at Mars as a bolt-hole.

Good drama.

Now, aside from my personal complaints about too much character-study time, I have no doubt in my mind that this trilogy is STILL one of the greatest Mars books ever written. I did knock off a star and boot it from my top 100 list of all time, however.

I just don't have that much patience for characterizations that don't directly result in a better overall story or that don't affect the outcome of the plot substantially. A little or even a middle amount of it is no problem, but when all the awesome is skewed toward the science and the action and especially to the breakout emotional scene near the end where all those people hike it across the sands of Mars? Well, that stuff is absolutely brilliant and heartwarming and beautiful and whoop-out-loud amazing!

Comparing the character stuff to that... doesn't cut it.

A lesser novel could have rested on the character stuff. This is one of the most well-thought-out and scientifically researched Mars colonization novels ever. It shouldn't have to suffer from any side weakness... even though it does.
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This is the second book in the Mars Trilogy, and retains many of the excellent qualities seen in the first book, but I feel doesn't quite reach the same heights.

There is a lot more science describing terraforming which was interesting in giving the reader an understanding of how such a thing might be done and done within someone's lifetime. Also, presented well is a plausible interplay between Mars and Earth and how the revolutionary groups on Mars could form a strong enough front to obtain independence, again a well presented vision of the complex aspects that would come into play - taking into account the constraints imposed by Mars' environment and the obvious distance and limitations placed on direct intervention by Earth.

However, while there is still a lot of character interplay, I feel the development of these characters wasn't as strong as in Red Mars and overall the storyline suffered under the author's attempt to present a plausible terraforming and political development narrative. ( )
  Daniel_M_Oz | Apr 6, 2020 |
indipendenza di marte ( )
  SamanthaRaciti | Feb 25, 2020 |
I didn't like this 2nd book in the trilogy as much as the first one ("Red Mars"). I suspect that is partly due to the fact that I read them too close together. However, my main complaint is the same one I made in my review of the previous book - Robinson gives both too much detail and too little simultaneously. We hear Maya's thoughts about things in endless detail and repetition but, just as in "Red Mars", when an important event happens (important both in the big picture and in the personal lives of the main characters) such as the killing of Margaret during the rescue of Sax, there is no follow through. I like the science part of the science fiction but the personal side of the story detracts rather than adds to the book for me.

I guess that I will continue on to the final book but not right away. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 30, 2020 |

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carella, MariaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dixon, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elson, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Lisa and Dave
The point is not to make another Earth.
"Even if you want no state, or a minimal state, then you still have to argue it point by point. Especially since most minimalists want to keep exactly the economic and police system that keeps them privileged. That's libertarians for you -- anarchists who want police protection from their slaves!"

In the
Nebula Award
winning Red Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson began his critically acclaimed epic saga of the colonization of Mars, Now the
Hugo Award
winning Green Mars continues the thrilling and timeless tale of humanity's struggle to survive at its farthest frontier.

Nearly a generation has passed since the first pioneers landed, but the transformation of Mars to an Earthlike planet has just begun The plan is opposed by those determined to preserve the planets hostile, barren beauty. Led by rebels like Peter Clayborne, these young people are the first generation of children born on Mars. They will be joined by original settlers Maya Toitovna, Simon Frasier, and Sax Russell. Against this cosmic backdrop, passions, rivalries, and friendships explode in a story as spectacular as the planet itself.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,867,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible