Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

Green Mars (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Kim Stanley Robinson

Member:whiten06
Title:Green Mars
Authors:Kim Stanley Robinson
Info:Spectra (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, 1994, Hugo, Locus

Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (1993)

Recently added byantoniodga, wm3395, clarinnis, aclockworksub, private library, Thomas_Watson, Avencejo, valzi, GreyLion

English (33)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (36)
Love the terraforming and the beginnings of social changes that have resulted from this setting. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jul 3, 2016 |

If you liked 'Red Mars' a lot, and read it with sheer pleasure - then you should definitely go ahead and read 'Green Mars' and 'Blue Mars.'

If however, like me, you found 'Red Mars' to have some very interesting idea and details, and appreciated Kim Stanley Robinson's research into a broad range of fields for his epic dissertation on the possible ramifications of terraforming a planet, but ultimately found the experience of reading the novel akin to studying a somewhat-boring textbook, then you should probably skip these two sequels.

Unless, of course, like me, you have committed yourself to reading all the Hugo and Nebula award winners, in which case you will just have to go ahead and read them.

Basically, 'Blue' and 'Green Mars' are a lot more of the same, but with even more soap-opera-ish drama thrown in. The characters still exist wholly in service to the ideas/concepts of the book (and some get dropped unceremoniously by the wayside after having served their purpose, which makes the narrative structure feel a bit amorphous.)

Honestly, I found these sequels a slog. However, they did win awards, and other people obviously love them... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I have seen many say that Red Mars is the high point of the trilogy, but I don't agree. I loved Green Mars even more than Red.

In this episode we get to see the first generation born on Mars, and how that would be and is different to those who came from Earth. And as always when someone has something good, someone else will want to take it from them, so we started to see the Earth vs Mars situation.

I love the whole issue of to terraform or not to terraform that is presented here. And I love that the characters can see that while they are changing the planet, the planet is also changing them.

I'm glad many of the old characters from Red Mars are still around, it gives us a chance to really grow with them, and I find myself liking all of them more and more.

A very good read. ( )
  weesam | Jan 4, 2016 |
“Technically he weighed about forty kilos, but as he walked along it felt more like five. Very strange, even unpleasant. Like walking on buttered glass.”This is my favorite feature of hard science fiction, the little minutiae that make the imaginary scenes not merely believable but also visceral; more vivid to me than riding on a dragon’s back and such. I like Kim Stanley Robinson’s conception of a Mars in the process of terraformation where global warming is actually a good thing!

Green Mars is the second book of KSR’s famous Mars trilogy, it follows on from Red Mars 50 years later where terraforming is in full swing. Many of “The First Hundred” characters (original colonists) from Red Mars play a significant part in this second volume, even the dead ones are often mentioned. The main story arc of Green Mars concerns terraformation and the fight for independence from Earth (bound to happen). Interestingly a faction of the Mars population, many of whom were born on Mars and have never been to Earth, are against terraforming and want to preserve Mars in its natural state. This is “The Reds” faction, their objection is (I think) for aesthetic reasons and to preserve what they perceive to be the purity of the pre-colonized planet. Their opposition comes from “The Greens” who want to fully terraform Mars so people can walk freely on the surface as we do on Earth.

Aside from the epic story arc the novel is very much a character study, to the detriment of my enjoyment of the book. The central characters are quite well developed, believable and complex individuals; the problem is that what they get up to is often not very interesting at all. There is a fascinating character named Sax Russell whose personal story is very dramatic at times and he ends up much the worse for wear. However, there are many pages where he is basically pottering around, studying plants, lichens, ice etc. This kind of narrative is very dry and my mind started to wander after a few such pages. Then there is Maya Toitovna who spends a lot of the novel inside her head, being very angry, resentful and unreasonable until she eventually works out her psychological problems. There are simply too many pages focused on her angst, which becomes quite tiresome, especially as I don’t personally identify with her problems

Green Mars has several protagonists (four or five I think) and the common problem with multiple points of view in a novel is very much in place here. Some characters are more interesting than others, and even the interesting ones spend too much time ruminating on issues, personal, scientific or philosophical; dragging the narrative down in the process.

Kim Stanley Robinson is an uncommonly good prose stylist for a hard SF writer. He comes up with pithy lines such as “It was not power that corrupted people, but fools who corrupted power.”; and almost lyrical passages like “In the first hour of the day all the ice glowed in vibrant pink and rose tones, reflecting tints of the sky. As direct sunlight struck the glacier’s smashed surfaces.”. However, he seems less interested in pacing and storytelling than to explore the issues that interest him, people, power, politics etc. I think he did a better job balancing the storytelling and the serious issue in Red Mars. Green Mars starts off well, gradually grinds to a halt, occasionally livens up with danger and explosive action, only to grind to a halt again. To be honest by the end of the book I have already lost interest.

Having read two volumes of the trilogy so far and really like the first one I am ambivalent about reading the final volume [b:Blue Mars|77504|Blue Mars (Mars Trilogy, #3)|Kim Stanley Robinson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388181161s/77504.jpg|40711]. It will be a shame not to read it having come this far, but at this point I don’t really know if I have the fortitude to plow through another volume so dry the book itself needs to be tarraformed. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
This might be the first time I've given a book I actually think was better than its predecessor a worse rating. The thing is, Red Mars may have been full of engineer fanfic and embarrassing cultural essentialism (Swiss colonists--on Mars, you know--who say things like "Outsiders. Ausländer." etc.), but it also advanced this really interesting future story of scientists and governments colonizing Mars and then coming up against corporations--"metanats"--and, of course, the same governments. It is the freaky future as seen insightfully but also of course in some wise atavistically from 1990 and it is fun. This one is fun too, but also deeper--the practice and the ethics of terraforming, or "areoforming"; the intertwined physiological and cultural changes of the Martian nisei and sansei and yonsei; the sad old crazy yet still brilliant yet empty brain thoughts--these being the most affecting passages in the book--of the first generation of colonists kept alive by genetic "treatments," colonization of space from the point of view of one of Swift's struldbruggs, trying to keep memories stretching back to the twentieth century all inside at the same time like stuffing the stuffing back into an overstuffed couch. Robinson's affection for his characters is one of the main things that keeps you reading--Sax "Saxifrage" Russell, the pure scientist of logical and ordered habits whose emotional life takes wing in his second century as he sees the Martian landscape blossom; Maya Toitovna, cosmonaut and leader of the initial 100 colonists, sense of self disintegrating under so many decades of learning and experiences and men and jockeying for power and going to fucking Mars, but still becoming, still unsure if she wants to be a lover or a fighter; Nirgal, the sensitive one out of the new Martian supermen or children of (pardon the expression) Aquarius. All these are goods, nestled into a bed of geology fanfic (moholes! Pistes! Volcanoes ten miles tall!) that is much more agreeable than the gee-whiz engineering stuff of the first volume. But the thing is that the main narrative in the first volume intrigued me in a way that the world building of this one doesn't--we get a corporate-titan(ifyoullpardontheexpression)-who-thinks-different and wants to pull us all into a post-national, post-transnational, post-terrestrial future, utterly banal, although Robinson does at least make fun of him a good piece; we get a Martian revolution that is inspirational yet also still banal, oh yes, these things are compatible, of course they are, my friend, but I wanted more: UN Security Council meetings, anti-Martian fulminations by talk show hosts, the Marxism of the 22nd century--I wanted more of this central epic that Robinson implicitly promised, instead of the fascinating meandering I got, which was frustrating though good and sometimes great. ( )
4 vote MeditationesMartini | Dec 11, 2015 |

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carella, MariaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dixon, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elson, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Lisa and Dave
The point is not to make another Earth.
"Even if you want no state, or a minimal state, then you still have to argue it point by point. Especially since most minimalists want to keep exactly the economic and police system that keeps them privileged. That's libertarians for you -- anarchists who want police protection from their slaves!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553572393, Mass Market Paperback)

Kim Stanley Robinson has earned a reputation as the master of Mars fiction, writing books that are scientific, sociological and, best yet, fantastic. Green Mars continues the story of humans settling the planet in a process called "terraforming." In Red Mars, the initial work in the trilogy, the first 100 scientists chosen to explore the planet disintegrated in disagreement--in part because of pressures from forces on Earth. Some of the scientists formed a loose network underground. Green Mars, which won the 1994 Hugo Award, follows the development of the underground and the problems endemic to forming a new society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

After a generation of pioneering work on Mars, a conflict arises between those who want to reshape the planet into a lush garden and those who want to preserve its stark beauty.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible