The Castle (Penguin Modern Classics) by…

The Castle (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1926; edition 2000)

by Franz Kafka

Member:Dr.Creps
Title:The Castle (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Franz Kafka
Info:Penguin Books (2000), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:**
Tags:European Literature

The Castle by Franz Kafka (1926)

The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro (chrisharpe)
    The Beautiful Bureaucrat by Helen Phillips (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both deal with the surreality and dehumanization of bureaucracy
    The Music of Chance by Paul Auster (susanbooks)
    The Investigation by Philippe Claudel (jodocus)
    Metropole by Ferenc Karinthy (alzo)
    alzo: more kafka-esque than kafka, a man finds himself in an uknown city with an unrecognisable language, trying to find a way out of the city back home
    Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami (alzo)
    Crash Gordon and the Mysteries of Kingsburg by Derek Swannson (jasbro)
    The Tartar Steppe by Dino Buzzati (chrisharpe)

English (50)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (55)
I'm getting off the Kafka train at the next stop.

Garrison0550 | May 10, 2016 |
Good and weird. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I wanted to love this book but I didn't quite get there. Compared to The Trial this book is too circuitous and infuriating to be an enjoyable read but I'm glad to have finally read it.

The one thing that did stand out was the quality of the translation. I've read parts of the Muir's translation and their dated language had always put me off reading on, this one felt fresh though and has some humor and earthiness that the earlier one lacks.

I love almost everything by and about Kafka - but this one got to be too much by the end, important though it clearly is. ( )
1 vote MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
I listened to the audio and I found it a lot easier to understand than trying to read it. I liked K's determination which teaches never to give up which is a good lesson. K's pain and agony were almost humorous at times as I would just say to myself, "Why don't you just move on?" As I listened I could feel the frustration of K trying to reach a goal that was so unattainable and it reminded me of some of the frustrations of everyday life. It is a difficult book to understand but I think it has a very profound message that life is an endless round of disappointments that seems to have no point but that is the point. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
A confusing story of one man K on a quest for the unattainable. ( )
1 vote BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |

Pasley, MalcolmEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sötemann, GuusTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, EithneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linna (1986[0137])
It was in the evening when K. arrived.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805211063, Paperback)

They are perhaps the most famous literary instructions never followed: "Dearest Max, my last request: Everything I leave behind me ... in the way of diaries, manuscripts, letters (my own and others'), sketches, and so on, [is] to be burned unread...." Thankfully, Max Brod did not honor his friend Franz Kafka's final wishes. Instead, he did everything within his power to ensure that Kafka's work would find publication--including making some sweeping changes in the original texts. Until recently, the world has known only Brod's version of Kafka, with its altered punctuation, word order, and chapter divisions. Restoring much of what had previously been expunged, as well as the fluid, oral quality of Kafka's original German, Mark Harman's new translation of The Castle is a major literary event.

One of three unfinished novels left after Kafka's death, The Castle is in many ways the writer's most enduring and influential work. In Harman's muscular translation, Kafka's text seems more modern than ever, the words tumbling over one another, the sentences separated only by commas. Harman's version also ends the same way as Kafka's original manuscript--that is, in mid-sentence: "She held out her trembling hand to K. and had him sit down beside her, she spoke with great difficulty, it was difficult to understand her, but what she said--." For anyone used to reading Kafka in his artificially complete form, the effect is extraordinary; it is as if Kafka himself had just stepped from the room, leaving behind him a work whose resolution is the more haunting for being forever out of reach.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

A surveyor is lost in a labyrinth in this 1926 German novel, reflecting the author's concern with man's inability to assert himself in the face of bureaucracy. It is a new translation that restores the eccentricities in style of the original.

Legacy Library: Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Franz Kafka's legacy profile.

See Franz Kafka's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,314,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible