Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

Big Red Lollipop

by Rukhsana Khan

Other authors: Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

Great story with another great message about living with, understanding, and loving your siblings. it's nice to see how the older sister doesn't make her younger sister take Maryam to the party. As well as, how Sana gave her older sister the big green lollipop at the end.
  Cara_M | Jun 12, 2017 |
I loved this books for many reasons. It was first written and illustrated for a child of Muslim decent but as an African American child, I still understood and connected with the book. Also, I connected with this book because it explains the irony of being the oldest sibling and having a line of siblings behind you and the book showcased that what goes around will eventually come around. ( )
  lpittman | May 4, 2017 |
Rubina is invited to a birthday party for the first time. When she shares this with her mother, or Ami, her younger sister Sana begs to go. Ami says she can only go if Rubina takes her younger sister. After much pleading, Rubina agrees and takes Sana. Sana spoiled the party and then stole Rubinas lollipop. Finally, Sana gets invited to her own birthday party and the youngest sister begs to go. Sana pleads not to take her and Rubina convinces her mom not to make her. In a story of friendship and forgiveness, Sana brings home a brand new lollipop for Rubina.
  booklist520 | Apr 24, 2017 |
I liked the book Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan for three main reasons. The first reason that I enjoyed this book was because of the underlying theme of forgiveness and sympathy. In this book, a young girl named Rubina gets a birthday invitation. However, when she tells her mom about the birthday party, she makes Rubina take her sister, Sana, along. Later in the story, Sana gets invited to a birthday party and her mom asks her to take her little sister along. However, because Rubina knows how embarrassing it was for her to take Sana along to the birthday party, she tells her mom, “don’t make Sana take Maryam to the party.” Through this, Rubina is showing sympathy for her sister Sana as well as forgiveness for embarrassing her at the birthday party. The themes of forgiveness and sympathy were woven into the plot nicely as to not be too overbearing, but still having an impact on the reader.

The second reason that I enjoyed this book is because of the plot. The plot is so simple, yet it involves a problem that many children have: sibling rivalry. I have an older sibling, so when I was reading this story I gained perspective on how my sister must have felt having to drag me along everywhere she went. However, I also related to how Sana felt. Sana didn’t want to miss out on the birthday party just because she was younger; she wanted to be included. The plot of this story reads at a good pace and is very relatable.

The third reason that I enjoyed this book is because of the illustrations. The illustrations in this book did a wonderful job of depicting the emotions of the different characters. For example, when Rubina is told to bring Sana to the birthday party, she says, “They’ll laugh at me! They’ll never invite me to another party again.” On this page, there is an illustration of Rubina with slumped shoulders and a look of despair in her eyes. Further, the illustrations include great detail. From the clothes the characters wear to the detail in the furniture pictured in the story, the illustrations made the book come to life. ( )
  koreil6 | Apr 17, 2017 |
This book was pretty funny. Most of us know how it feels to have to share everything with a sibling. Rubina not only has to take her little sister to a party, but she takes her candy too! What in the world shall she do? ( )
  jas765 | Apr 4, 2017 |

Rukhsana Khanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackall, SophieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Having a tag along younger sister isn't Rubina's ideal situation for her birthday party.

Rubina has been invited to her first birthday party, and her mother, Ami, insists that she bring her little sister along. Rubina is mortified, but she can?t convince Ami that you just don?t bring your younger sister to your friend?s party. So both girls go, and not only does Sana demand to win every game, but after the party she steals Rubina?s prized party favor, a red lollipop. What?s a fed-up big sister to do?

Rukhsana Khan?s clever story and Sophie Blackall?s irresistible illustrations make for a powerful combination in this fresh and surprising picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

Having to take her younger sister along the first time she is invited to a birthday party spoils Rubina's fun, and later when that sister is asked to a party and baby sister wants to come, Rubina must decide whether to help.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,094,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible