Big red lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

Big red lollipop (edition 2010)

by Rukhsana Khan, Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

Member:AnnaMoody
Title:Big red lollipop
Authors:Rukhsana Khan
Other authors:Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)
Info:New York, N.Y. : Viking, c2010.
Tags:easy; prek-3; diversity; siblings; maturing; fairness

Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

I enjoyed this book because I could relate to the sibling rivalry and Rubina bringing along her sister to functions. Rubina already did not want Sana to come, and then her competitive nature and love for candy kicked in. At the end of the story Rubina gets a taste of not being invited to a party, and has a change of heart. ( )
  lindsayeubanks | May 31, 2016 |
Summary
This books is about what looks to be a little Indian girl and her family. The little girl, Rubina, gets invited to a birthday party. Rubina is so excited, but her mother, Ami, says that she has to take her little sister, Sana, with her because Sana wants to go and Ami does not think it is fair that Sana was not invited too. Sana acts like a baby at the party and eats Rubina's lollipop, which is her favorite. In the end, Rubina helps Sana when she is finally invited to a birthday party and Ami insists that she has to take Rubina.

Personal Reaction
I do not relate to this book by coming from a different culture, but some of my close friends I grew up with did. One of them was from Mexico and it was interesting seeing the differences in how his family did things, such as holiday events, and how my family did them. I learned a lot about his culture this way.

Classroom Extension
1. I could teach the class about different cultures each week and about their lifestyles and ways they celebrate the same holidays that we celebrate.
2. The students could go to the computer lab and research, as a group, other information about a specific culture assigned to them. Then, give their report to the class on what they discovered. ( )
  MeganHeinrich | Mar 16, 2016 |
this book is very unique, it's main theme is family relationships. It also brings to light cultural differences. I htink this book would be very useful in the classroom because a lot of children have siblings and can relate to the struggles that happen when the oldest sibling is forced to take her little sister to her friend's birthday party. I also think it is valuable for children to understand that not every culture celebrates birthdays. The illustrations in this book were really rich in detail and color.
  michelleripley | Mar 13, 2016 |
This book was a good example of sibling rivalry and how it can be frustrating and annoying. The book touched on the fact that positive moments or actions can follow frustrating events and remind us that there are also positive aspects of having a sibling that many times overcome the bad.
  LVeum | Feb 5, 2016 |
I love the illustrations in the book, especially the facial expressions of the characters that really convey their feelings. I like the message of forgiveness and how family is most important. I had a hard time with Sana's behavior though, and how Rubina suffered for Sana's selfishness. The story events are realistic, but I wanted the mother to side with Rubina at least once in the story.

Curricular connections: it would be a great read aloud for younger students. It would be good for a discussion of family, fairness, and cultural values. ( )
  linnea_simon | Feb 3, 2016 |

Rukhsana Khanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Having a tag along younger sister isn't Rubina's ideal situation for her birthday party.

Rubina has been invited to her first birthday party, and her mother, Ami, insists that she bring her little sister along. Rubina is mortified, but she can?t convince Ami that you just don?t bring your younger sister to your friend?s party. So both girls go, and not only does Sana demand to win every game, but after the party she steals Rubina?s prized party favor, a red lollipop. What?s a fed-up big sister to do?

Rukhsana Khan?s clever story and Sophie Blackall?s irresistible illustrations make for a powerful combination in this fresh and surprising picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

Having to take her younger sister along the first time she is invited to a birthday party spoils Rubina's fun, and later when that sister is asked to a party and baby sister wants to come, Rubina must decide whether to help.

21 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,924,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible