Big red lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

Big red lollipop (edition 2010)

by Rukhsana Khan, Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

Member:AnnaMoody
Title:Big red lollipop
Authors:Rukhsana Khan
Other authors:Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)
Info:New York, N.Y. : Viking, c2010.
Tags:easy; prek-3; diversity; siblings; maturing; fairness

Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

I enjoyed reading this story very much. One reason I like the book was because of the plot. I thought it was funny how the sister's acted because I have an older sister and we acted similar to how Rubina and Sana. For example, when Sana ate Rubina's lollipop that she was looking forward to eating it reminded me of how my sister and I acted when we were younger. Another reason I liked the book was for the illustrations. The pictures showed exactly what was happening in the story. If I were reading this story to a child they would be able to understand what was going on based on the pictures. The big message of this story I think relates to family and sharing. Family is the most important thing in the world and the fact that Sana realizes what she did she makes it up to Rubina by sharing the lollipop that she got. ( )
  rjayne2 | Sep 25, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the book “Big Red Lollipop” because it subtly portrays the values of another culture and is also very relatable, especially for girls who have sisters. We can tell that the family in the story is from a different cultural background because of the names in the story, Ami, Sana, Rubina, and Maryam, and the way that the characters dress in the illustrations. The author never has to explicitly say anything for the reader to understand that aspect of the story. The story then depicts a cultural value when Rubina’s little sister wants to come to a birthday party with her and she says, “They don’t do that here!” and then their mother responds, “Well that’s not fair. You call up your friend and ask if you can bring Sana, or else you can’t go.” I think that it is very important for children to be exposed to values other than what they may have experienced. The other reason I liked the book was because it was so relatable. I have a younger sister and the girls’ relationship in the story was just like my own. The sisters experience many conflicts throughout the story but in the end, Rubina stands up for Sana and Sana repays her and they say, “After that we’re friends.” This is relatable because most sisters fight a lot but always love other in the end. Students get much more involved in a story when they can relate to the characters. The big idea is that even though some people have different values than your own, they still may be similar to you in many other ways. ( )
  cschne11 | Sep 21, 2014 |
Rubina is invited to her very first birthday party. Because the idea of a birthday party is new to her, Rubina's mother insists that she take Sana, her younger sister, along with her. Rubina is fearful that her friends will think she is "weird", but she has no choice in the matter. Much to her dismay, Sana acts like "a little baby" at the party, but what she does afterwards is even worse. Rubina chose to save her lollipop from her party bag she was given, while Sana eats all of her candy and even breaks the trinkets that were inside. When Rubina wakes up the next morning, she finds that Sana has eaten almost all of her lollipop. Rubina's mother says she must learn to share, but Rubina doesn't want to hear it. Although she is very angry with her little sister, she later becomes Sana's advocate. When Sana is invited to a birthday party by her friends, and her mother insists she bring their youngest sister Maryam, Rubina's helps her out by convincing her mother not to force Sana to take Maryam to the party. Rubina's wanted to prevent Sana from being excluded amongst her friends. Sana recognizes her sister's kind gesture and in the end offers Rubina her lollipop she received at her friend's birthday party as a way to show her appreciation.

I think this book would be appropriate for a 1st grade class. It would teach children, especially children with siblings, the importance of sharing and compassion. ( )
  slbenne1 | Aug 28, 2014 |
A story about sibling rivalry and jealousy, this would be a perfect book for at at-home read. Parents could use it as a way to discuss the issue with their children. It could also be helpful for children to see that this is something other children feel too- and give them the language to talk about it.
  JocelynPLang | Jun 9, 2014 |
This book about sibling rivalry just happens to feature protagonists from a different culture. Presumably, the characters are Pakistani like the author, who was born in Lahore but immigrated to Canada at age three.

In the story, Rubina is invited to her first birthday party ever, and her little sister Sana pitches a fit until their mother, Ami, says Sana must go also or Rubina can’t go. Rubina takes Sana, who predictably embarrasses Rubina and eats all of the treats they received as party favors.

It takes a long time before Rubina gets any more party invitations!

Then one day, Sana comes home with her own invitation. By this time, a new little sister, Maryam, is old enough to cause the same sort of trouble with Sana that Sana once caused for Rubina.

Rubina thinks about it:

"I could just watch her have to take Maryam. I could just let her make a fool of herself at that party. I could just let her not be invited to any more parties, but something makes me tap Ami on the shoulder.”

She makes a decision, and asks Ami not to make Sana take Maryam, and in gratitude, Sana brings back her goodies from the party and gives them to Rubina.

Evaluation: This is a good story with an important lesson about the sweetness of revenge versus the greater benefits of forgiveness and charity. In addition, there is the “meta message” for people of the majority culture that just because some kids may dress different and/or have different-sounding names doesn't mean they don't have a lot in common with you.

The artwork by the award-winning Sophie Blackall, known for her Chinese ink and watercolor images, is adorable - full of whimsy, warmth, and expressiveness. ( )
  nbmars | May 24, 2014 |

Rukhsana Khanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Rubina has been invited to her first birthday party, and her mother, Ami, insists that she bring her little sister along. Rubina is mortified, but she can?t convince Ami that you just don?t bring your younger sister to your friend?s party. So both girls go, and not only does Sana demand to win every game, but after the party she steals Rubina?s prized party favor, a red lollipop. What?s a fed-up big sister to do?

Rukhsana Khan?s clever story and Sophie Blackall?s irresistible illustrations make for a powerful combination in this fresh and surprising picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:53 -0400)

Having to take her younger sister along the first time she is invited to a birthday party spoils Rubina's fun, and later when that sister is asked to a party and baby sister wants to come, Rubina must decide whether to help.

21 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,337,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible