Big red lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

Big red lollipop (edition 2010)

by Rukhsana Khan, Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

303None36,855 (3.91)3
Member:AnnaMoody
Title:Big red lollipop
Authors:Rukhsana Khan
Other authors:Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)
Info:New York, N.Y. : Viking, c2010.
Tags:easy; prek-3; diversity; siblings; maturing; fairness

Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

This book is about a girl named Rubina who gets invited to a birthday party. Because her mom does not know the American customs of birthday parties, she lets Rubina's younger sister tag along. It ends up being horrible for Rubina and she does not get invited back to any other birthday parties for a while. Meanwhile, her younger sister Sana continues to torment her by eating her red lollipop from the party. Sana comes home one day with an invitation to a birthday party and the youngest sister, Maryam wants to go. Her mother, Ami, says that she must take her sisters because it's only fair and Sana throws a fit about it. While Rubina thinks it's funny at first and that Sana is getting what she deserves, she ends up telling her mother that Sana shouldn't have to take any of the sisters with her. Her mother agrees an Sana goes to the party alone. As a means of showing appreciation, Sana brings back a lollipop for Rubina from the party and now the two sisters are friends.
  kvail | Mar 15, 2014 |
I liked the multicultural aspects of this book. It definitely shows a different type of family than most westerners are used to, and other races are portrayed really well throughout the book. I also liked the theme of inclusion that it brings. There is a strong sense of the importance of family and I think that children who had siblings would be able to connect to this book on some level. Rubina is a really good big sister and I thought that the plot of the book was really sweet. ( )
  L_Cochran | Mar 15, 2014 |
Rubina gets invited to her first birthday party, but to her dismay, she is forced to take her little sister, Sana. They both get big red lollipops. Sana eats hers right away, and Rubina saves hers. When she goes to eat it, it is gone. Sana ate hers too. Their mother does nothing about it, so all Rubina can do is forget about it. One day, Sana gets an invite. Instead of watching her be miserable and having to take their youngest sister, Rubina tells her mother not to make her go. Sana thanks her by giving her a lollipop.
  sbasler | Mar 12, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading Big Red Lollipop. Three things that made me like the book so much are the character development, the integration of culture, and the point of view. The character development of Rubina is fascinating. She becomes less selfish and concerned about her own wants as the book progresses. She learns that it is important to help her sister. This happens when she convinces their mother to let Sana go to a birthday party all by herself. The integration of culture is also interesting. The reader could immediately tell that the family in the story is not from the United States. When discussing bringing her sister to a birthday party, Rubina asserts, “They don’t do that here.” They also refer to their mother as “Ami.” Lastly, I enjoyed the first person point of view. It allows the reader to connect to Rubina and her journey. The reader can sense and feel Rubina’s frustration when her sister tags along to her party. The reader can also sense the joy and content that Rubina feels after helping her sister and receiving a lollipop. The main message I took away from this book is the importance of family and helping out our siblings. We need to always love and be there for our siblings, even if they annoy us. ( )
  NikkiDahlen | Feb 22, 2014 |
I didn’t really enjoy “The Big Red Lollipop”. While I thought the book was well written telling the story through the point of view of an older sister as she struggles with having to allow her younger sister to tag along to a party she was invited to. It might be the fact that I was often in this situation as an older brother, but I’m not sure what the message of the story was. I’m assuming that the author was trying to show, through the big sister’s decision to not join her younger sister when she is invited to a party, that, as an older sibling, sometimes you have to be the bigger person. I feel as if the author may have been able to find a better situation to deliver this message. In the end I feel as if the story made it hard in anyway to emphasize with the younger sister. I thought illustrations were well drawn and did a great job of reinforcing the older sister’s emotions, like the excitement she felt heading home from school after being invited to the party illustrated through the girl feeling bigger than life being so excited. I’m not sure that the story does a good enough job of pushing the reader to feel any empathy for being a younger sister which I think could have helped it’s message. ( )
  awhite43 | Feb 17, 2014 |

Rukhsana Khanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Rubina has been invited to her first birthday party, and her mother, Ami, insists that she bring her little sister along. Rubina is mortified, but she can?t convince Ami that you just don?t bring your younger sister to your friend?s party. So both girls go, and not only does Sana demand to win every game, but after the party she steals Rubina?s prized party favor, a red lollipop. What?s a fed-up big sister to do?

Rukhsana Khan?s clever story and Sophie Blackall?s irresistible illustrations make for a powerful combination in this fresh and surprising picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:53 -0400)

Having to take her younger sister along the first time she is invited to a birthday party spoils Rubina's fun, and later when that sister is asked to a party and baby sister wants to come, Rubina must decide whether to help.

21 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible