Big red lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

Big red lollipop (edition 2010)

by Rukhsana Khan, Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

Member:AnnaMoody
Title:Big red lollipop
Authors:Rukhsana Khan
Other authors:Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)
Info:New York, N.Y. : Viking, c2010.
Tags:easy; prek-3; diversity; siblings; maturing; fairness

Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

This book was a good example of sibling rivalry and how it can be frustrating and annoying. The book touched on the fact that positive moments or actions can follow frustrating events and remind us that there are also positive aspects of having a sibling that many times overcome the bad.
  LVeum | Feb 5, 2016 |
I love the illustrations in the book, especially the facial expressions of the characters that really convey their feelings. I like the message of forgiveness and how family is most important. I had a hard time with Sana's behavior though, and how Rubina suffered for Sana's selfishness. The story events are realistic, but I wanted the mother to side with Rubina at least once in the story.

Curricular connections: it would be a great read aloud for younger students. It would be good for a discussion of family, fairness, and cultural values. ( )
  linnea_simon | Feb 3, 2016 |
Rubina is invited to her first birthday party but her mother insists that Rubina take along her younger sister Sana. Rubina is the only guest who brought her sister and worse, Sana has to win all the games and she eats up the lollipop that Rubina has carefully saved for after the party. Rubina doesn't get invited to any parties after that. When Sana is invited to a party and their mother says she should invite the baby sister, Rubina has a change of heart and advises her mother not to make Sana do that.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book was very endearing and I could relate since I'm the youngest of three girls, however, I could possibly relate even more if I was the oldest like Rubina in this story. Firstly, this book helps inform children who celebrate their birthdays that not everyone knows what a birthday party is--depending on their culture or religion (like the author of this book who is from Pakistan, a place where it is not uncommon to not celebrate birthdays in their culture). This book also has a great lesson for kids: the importance of not being spiteful or seeking revenge when the opportunity comes after someone has embarrassed you. By Rubina taking the high-road and not going to Sana's friend's bday party, she shows that she is mature and loves her sister more than the satisfaction of "getting back" at her. By Sana giving Rubina the lollipop at the end of the story, after originally stealing Rubina's lollipop at the beginning of the book, this shows that Sana has grown up a bit and is grateful to her sister for sparing her the embarrassment. The illustrations were very nice and I liked the detail in Rubina, Sana and their mom's hair and eyebrows. Rubina's culture was apparent in the illustrations as well, especially through her mom's clothes and head wrap, as well as her families pillows and area rugs displayed in their home. This is a great read for children with siblings! ( )
  knorthway | Feb 2, 2016 |
Love the Illustrations in this book, but disappointed as to content, I thought it show a cultural view and sisterly love as we see it but overall just disappointed maybe a younger child would get it and help me see another point of view - good art inspiration and understanding there are all different beliefs, and cultures people live in. ( )
  Malynda2 | Feb 2, 2016 |

Rukhsana Khanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Having a tag along younger sister isn't Rubina's ideal situation for her birthday party.

Rubina has been invited to her first birthday party, and her mother, Ami, insists that she bring her little sister along. Rubina is mortified, but she can?t convince Ami that you just don?t bring your younger sister to your friend?s party. So both girls go, and not only does Sana demand to win every game, but after the party she steals Rubina?s prized party favor, a red lollipop. What?s a fed-up big sister to do?

Rukhsana Khan?s clever story and Sophie Blackall?s irresistible illustrations make for a powerful combination in this fresh and surprising picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

Having to take her younger sister along the first time she is invited to a birthday party spoils Rubina's fun, and later when that sister is asked to a party and baby sister wants to come, Rubina must decide whether to help.

21 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,270,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible