Big red lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

Big red lollipop (edition 2010)

by Rukhsana Khan, Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

Title:Big red lollipop
Authors:Rukhsana Khan
Other authors:Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)
Info:New York, N.Y. : Viking, c2010.
Tags:easy; prek-3; diversity; siblings; maturing; fairness

Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

Big Red Lollipop is a trade book about a girl named Rubina who is invited to her first birthday party and her younger sister wants to tag along too. She has no choice, but to bring her sister along. Later on her younger sister is invited to a birthday party and the baby sister wants to go. But Rubina steps in and helps her younger sister. The illustrations in Big Red Lollipop are filled with colors and is very detailed. The illustrations are seemed to be drawn with pen and colored in. Teachers can use this book in the classroom to teach students about siblings and why it's important to let them tag along too. My interpretation of this book is that a sister is willing to make a sacrifice for her siblings. ( )
  s.vang | Nov 28, 2015 |
The bright, bold and detailed illustrations accompany this story of Rubina who is forced to take her little sister to a birthday party. When the younger sister is put in the same position, Rubina is able to put her hurt feelings aside and stand up for her sister.
  AimeeV | Nov 19, 2015 |
This was a very realistic book that I really enjoyed reading. I discussed it in my book club and everyone in it thought that it was a very cute and realistic book that they could see happening with themselves and their sister.
  ninaberger | Nov 13, 2015 |
29 months - I like to try and read Canadian authors when I can. I like the story idea and although I was the youngest of three I can still relate to the challenges of having a younger sibling tag along. I wasn't so thrilled with the writing and it's not my favorite illustration style however O has asked to read it a number of times. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Rubina, the oldest sister, was invited to her first birthday party. Her mother did not understand what a birthday party was. Begging her Ami (mom) to go, Sana, the middle sister, screams that she wants to go to the birthday party. Rubina does not want her little sister tagging along with her to her first every birthday party, but Ami insisted. The only way Rubina could so is if Sana went with her. Rubina called her friend who hesitantly said, “Okay.” At the birthday party, Rubina was the only one who had her little sister tag along. Sana had to win all the games and even during musical chairs when she fell she started crying. Each of the girls got a party favor bag, immediately Sana ate all her candy and destroyed the toys in it. Rubina saved her big red lollipop from the party so she could have it the next day, she even dreamed about it. When Rubina woke up she headed straight to the fridge to get the lollipop, only to find out Sana at all put a little piece of it. Rubina was not happy at all. She was mad at Sana for eating her lollipop and chased her around the house. Rubina doesn’t get any birthday party invitations for a long time because the girls at her school knew her little sister, Sana, would have to tag along. Sana comes home from school one day and is excited because she gets her first ever birthday party invitation. Maryam, the youngest sister, screams that she wants to go to the birthday party with Sana. Ami tells Sana that she has to take Maryam if she wants to go to the party. Sana begs and pleads to Ami to not have to take Maryam. Rubina, knowing what it feels like, tells Ami to not make Sana take Maryam. Sana gets to go to the birthday party by herself. When she gets home she knocks on Rubina’s door and she has a big green lollipop for her sister. This book shows the relationship between sisters. I remember my mom always making my sister take me everywhere she went. My sister didn’t like it and as we got older she would laugh when I had to have my little brother tag along with me. ( )
  CasieBelaire | Oct 17, 2015 |

Rukhsana Khanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Rubina has been invited to her first birthday party, and her mother, Ami, insists that she bring her little sister along. Rubina is mortified, but she can?t convince Ami that you just don?t bring your younger sister to your friend?s party. So both girls go, and not only does Sana demand to win every game, but after the party she steals Rubina?s prized party favor, a red lollipop. What?s a fed-up big sister to do?

Rukhsana Khan?s clever story and Sophie Blackall?s irresistible illustrations make for a powerful combination in this fresh and surprising picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

Having to take her younger sister along the first time she is invited to a birthday party spoils Rubina's fun, and later when that sister is asked to a party and baby sister wants to come, Rubina must decide whether to help.

21 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,956,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible