Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

Big Red Lollipop (edition 2010)

by Rukhsana Khan, Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

Member:mrsctw
Title:Big Red Lollipop
Authors:Rukhsana Khan
Other authors:Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:picture book, multiculturalism, siblings, selflessness, caring, principled, fairness, making predictions, making connections, narrative, recount, storytelling moment

Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan

summary: Rubina is invited to her first birthday party and is forced to take her little sister. Sana then gets invited to a birthday party and has to take the youngest sister and she doesn't want to at all.
reflection: Boy do I know what it's like to have a sister and have to take her places like Rubina did. My sister didn't always want to do exactly what I did though, she and I have very different personalities! This was a sweet book with a great message about how to always include everyone. I also like how her sister ate her lollipop but in the end was placed in her sister's shoes so she gave her another one in return.
  dempseydee | Oct 4, 2018 |
I liked this book because of the following reasons. The first is that it revolved around the relationship of the family siblings and the idea of sharing. This is a complex issue that the author successfully displayed. When Sana ate Rubina’s lollipop from her goody bag, Rubina was upset. However, her mom insisted that she should share her goodie bag with her sister because they were family.
Another reason I enjoyed this story was that the visuals were not only colorful but also paired very well with the text. The illustrations included vibrant colors and clear body/facial expressions. Through the way the characters were dressed, the audience could get a gist of what the culture was like. In addition, when Rubina was chasing Sana, you could see her frenzy by the way the picture tracked their chase across the house.
Third, Iiked how the author used italics and repetition. When Rubina realizes Sana ate her lollipop, the author shows how angry she is by saying, “I’m going to get you.” There is also a part of the story, where it is Sana’s turn to go to a party and in fairness, she has to take her sister to the party too. Rubina struggles internally with helping her sister. The author depicts this by repeating “I could”: “I could just watch her have to...I could just let her make a fool of herself......I could just let her not be invited …”
This leads to the big idea of maturity and forgiveness. Even though Rubina was no longer invited to further birthday parties because she would have to bring her little sister along and that was unpopular, she convinced her mom to spare Sana from this. In addition, another example of the author showing maturity is that the story is cyclical. At the party, the sisters receive goodie bags and Rubina saves her lollipop, whereas her younger sister immediately devours hers. Her sister even eats her lollipop too. Later on, Sana is older and gets invited to a party. Her mother tells her that because Rubina had to take her, Sana needs to take her younger sister too. However, Rubina wants to save her sister’s social life so she steps in. In the end, Sana gives Rubina a lollipop from her goodie bag as thanks. This shows how the siblings’ relationship has matured.
This book is a contemporary realistic fiction book because it is an imaginary story, but the plot could happen in current times. ( )
  mandyhuang | Sep 16, 2018 |
No one wants their siblings following them around. Rubina feels this way when she was invited to a party and forced to take her little sister with her. It was a horribly embarrassing experience for her. Once her sister got an invitation of her own she was going to be forced to take their younger sister with her but Rubina jumped in a told Ami to let her go by herself. This really shows an act of kindness. This goes along with the theme an act of kindness can go along way as you see her sister brought a lollipop home from Rubina for saving her from having to take her little sister. ( )
  mgcampb1 | Sep 13, 2018 |
This book is one that may be challenging for young readers to understand the deeper meaning of sister/family relationships. The young girl who goes to a birthday party and is required to bring her little sister along, is very upset that her sister is having to join her and that she eats her lollipop. When her sister has the same situation happening to her, the big sister traits in Rubiana come out and she tells her mom that its okay if her younger sister doesn't have company for her birthday party attendance. ( )
  etaborski16 | Aug 29, 2018 |
I really enjoyed the emotion in The Big Red Lollipop. The artist got the facial expressions down perfectly. The cheeks would grow consecutively more rosy as embarrassment or disappointment was near. I like this book because it is from the perspective of a different culture. In this book, the characters do not celebrate birthday's, and if they do attend a party, all siblings are to go too. Rubina has to take her sister Sana to the birthday party she was invited too, and she was really embarrassed. In the end, when Sana had a chance to go to her own birthday party, Rubina convinced her mother to let Sana go alone so she would not have to endure what she had gone through. I think this book has great roots in family traditions and interactions. ( )
  caliesunshine | Aug 11, 2018 |

Rukhsana Khanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackall, SophieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Having a tag along younger sister isn't Rubina's ideal situation for her birthday party.

Rubina has been invited to her first birthday party, and her mother, Ami, insists that she bring her little sister along. Rubina is mortified, but she can?t convince Ami that you just don?t bring your younger sister to your friend?s party. So both girls go, and not only does Sana demand to win every game, but after the party she steals Rubina?s prized party favor, a red lollipop. What?s a fed-up big sister to do?

Rukhsana Khan?s clever story and Sophie Blackall?s irresistible illustrations make for a powerful combination in this fresh and surprising picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

Having to take her younger sister along the first time she is invited to a birthday party spoils Rubina's fun, and later when that sister is asked to a party and baby sister wants to come, Rubina must decide whether to help.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,205,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible