Rogue Wave by Maureen A. Miller

Rogue Wave

by Maureen A. Miller

Interesting story that follows a strong, beautiful Hawaii Beach Development building contractor during her confrontation with a USGS field agent (and Phd in Marine Biology) during his attempt to blame the development she promoting and guiding for causing sedimentation in the water and beach erosion. After lusting after each others extraordinary young bodies, they join forces to rout Mexican Treasure Hunters who are illegally dredging in the off shore reef trying to find a gold laden galleon that was reputed to have been lost during a storm off shore of Waikiki Beach. In the process of thwarting the evil crooks, both principals were able to come to terms with their individual psychic demons and find bliss in a romantic interlude. Resolution for all! ( )
  JosephLYoung | Apr 11, 2011 |
Maureen Miller’s Rogue Wave is a romantic suspense that takes place against the lush, exotic backdrop of the Hawaiian Islands. Ms. Miller’s style reflects that beautiful background, bringing an almost lyrical feel to the narrative, despite the harsher realities of the storyline, which includes conflict between modern beachfront developers and conservationists, along with some present-day pirating.

Ms. Miller presents her setting with a deft hand, describing scenery pithily, yet poetically: “Beyond Aloha Tower, the ocean was turning dusky rose under a violet twilight. The lights of the marketplace flickered on, and further beyond, a freighter moored at Sand Island became an illuminated hulk on the dark horizon.” With characters, she is equally clever, breathing life into not only the traditional good-looking, intelligent hero and heroine, but also the quirky side-kicks and troublesome family members.

The central conflict in Rogue Wave is a series of unexplained mini tidal waves that are threatening the coast of Hawaii. As the story unfolded, I was intrigued by the underlying mystery, and would have liked more of that. It seemed that the focus was more on the relationship between the hero and heroine and less on the bad guys’ shenanigans, which I wanted to know more about. In other words, the plot was more like that of a traditional romance than I personally would have liked, but for traditional romance fans, it would be spot-on.

From a technical standpoint, the story was well done, with no clunky transitions or shoddy plot holes, and no more than one or two typos. My one complaint was the frequency of point-of-view switches in the scenes between the hero and heroine. While I am a huge fan of multi-character POV, I prefer to spend more than a couple paragraphs at a time in any one character’s head, else I begin to suffer the onset of multiple personality disorder. That little detail aside, if you are in the market for an elegantly written romance mixed with an intriguing mystery, Maureen Miller’s Rogue Wave will not disappoint. ( )
  meromana | Oct 15, 2010 |
An excellent read. Interesting information about Hawaii, beaches and rogue waves. Intriguing mystery, adventure and romance thrown in for good measure. ( )
  BrendanCarroll | Apr 12, 2010 |
A huge fan of Ms. Miller's other works, I'm excited to say that Rogue Wave hooked me just as quickly and just as deeply.
Nick and Briana are characters that attract the reader and make you want to turn each page with drawn breath. It's thrilling, touching, romantic and everything that will make you go back and read it again.
She makes you see the scenery described and at times you will smell the water, feel the breeze.
This is another wonderful book by this author. ( )
  sierrarose | Apr 12, 2010 |

Maureen A. Miller is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,573,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible