Depths by Henning Mankell

Depths

by Henning Mankell

Recently added byyvitol, Edward_Gibbon, JMHD1975, ToneB, private library, Gerca
    One Step Behind by Henning Mankell (cometahalley)
    Cold Earth by Sarah Moss (alalba)
    alalba: Two thrillers located in icy landscapes, both very gripping!
    The Little Man from Archangel by Georges Simenon (Cecilturtle)

English (13)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (21)
I got about halfway through and it started to turn from random violence to actual murder and I didn't see it turning out any better and gave in. Even for a Nordic fiction fan like me, it was a bit too dark.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I liked this book a lot. I like most books by Mankell, this is one of his darker books.
Darker in the sense of the setting: at open sea, a (nearly) unibhabitated rocky island. And in the themes that occur: relations, the impossibility to make them work, loneliness.
I nearly read the book in one sitting, I am impressed and will remember the shivers it sent down my spine while reading for quite some time. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
One of those book I fine impossible to give a good review due to the unpleasantness of all the characters. ( )
  Steph78 | Aug 23, 2011 |
Read this for one of my book groups. I really wish I had not wasted my time or my brain power on this dark depressing tale. It's only getting 1 and 1/2 stars because some of the imagery of the sea in Winter was hauntingly beautiful. The rest? Yuck. ( )
  clamairy | Feb 14, 2011 |
I love Mankell, and enjoy his stories greatly. He is a gifted storyteller, with a dark and dangerous sensibility. Sadly, this book does not even come close to the level of many of his others. It is slow and--hard to say this--boring. ( )
  TTAISI-Editor | Dec 19, 2010 |

Mankell, Henningprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, LaurieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man sa att dårarnas skrik kunde höras över sjön när det var vindstilla.
Le traducteur est maître du récit.
Mais il cherchait secrètement quelque chose de complètement différent... Un point où la ligne de sonde cesserait d'être un instrument technique pour se transformer en outil poétique.

Internationally bestselling author Henning Mankell delivers a lyrical and evocative novel about a Swedish naval engineer during World War I and his devastating plunge into obsession.

In 1914 Lars Tobiasson-Svartman is covertly measuring the depths of Swedish coastal waters. A man of discipline and obsessed with exactitude, he is more comfortable on naval vessels than he is in his loveless marriage back in Stockholm. On one of his missions, Lars discovers a feral but beautiful woman living alone on a remote island. Passion, suspicion, and violence are awakened in him and soon he is living a double life-lying to his wife and his superiors and submerging himself in a pool of deception that has devastating consequences.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:30 -0400)

In 1914 Lars Tobiasson-Svartman is covertly measuring the depths of Swedish coastal wasters. On one of his missions, Lars discovers a feral but beautiful woman living alone on a remote island. Passion, suspicion, and violence are awakened in him and soon he is living a double life-lying to his wife and his superiors and submerging himself in a pool of deception that has shocking consequences.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,674,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible