The Telling (The Telling, #1) by Eden…

The Telling (The Telling, #1)

by Eden Winters

This was my first introduction to Eden Winters, and I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed her writing. The Telling is about a soldier that returns home suffering from PSTD and guilt, and he finds solace in another man. I thought the characters seemed really natural, and it was easy to just escape for awhile with the scenery and people. The pace was a bit slow, but overall I really enjoyed how natural everything felt and read. Looking forward to more from this author. ( )
  Peepers82 | Sep 22, 2013 |
I read this one for the Bingo challenge.

3,5 to 4 stars.

Michael, the protagonist, comes back home after 4 yours of military service, suffering from PTSD, after a tragic event. He is a great character, vulnerable without being weak, and his return to a "normal" life is very well told.

His love interest in this story is Jay, a student and roomie of Michael's sister. I didn't dig Jay so much, I don't know exactly why, but to me he remained quite shallow, a little too good to be true and not all that interesting.

Michael has to cope with his sexual orientation, his coming out and his PTSD on top. What I liked very much: that he sought help, was attending counselling sessions and worked on his issues. Also great: the secondary cast. Michael's family was really cool, his kick-ass sister, his understanding Mom and even his Grandparents were portraied very well without taking up too much space in the story.

What I didn't like so much: It was insta-love. In case of Jay even love before first sight: he fell in love with a photo of Michael years before they even met - kind of stalker-ish strange imho, might be romantic to others.

But all in all the story was well told and a good read. ( )
  Tam2603 | Apr 18, 2013 |
Michael has come home and everything in his life is different than when he left. He has so much to cope with. It is wonderful to see love come into his life and Jay is such a good and patient man. Wonderful story of love, acceptance, and recover. ( )
  KatyBethMcKee | Mar 30, 2013 |

Eden Winters is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,983,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible