Wanna Get Lucky? by Deborah Coonts

Wanna Get Lucky?

by Deborah Coonts

This was an entertaining read!

The mystery was good and handled well- and I LOVED all the Vegas context, with its over-the-top personalities and locations.

I will mention that there was quite a lot of raunchy content, though Lucky herself is amazingly prim for a girl raised in a brothel.

The characters were well-drawn- the more important ones were well-rounded, and the others entertaining.

I enjoyed it, and will likely read more in the series. ( )
  cissa | Jan 30, 2017 |
DESCRIPTION, NOT REVIEW: A young woman plunges from a Las Vegas sightseeing helicopter, landing in the Pirate Lagoon in front of the Treasure Island Hotel in the middle of the 8:30 Pirate Show. Almost everyone writes her off as another Vegas victim. But, Lucky O'Toole, head of customer relations at the Babylon mega casino, smells a rat, though she's got a lot on her plate: the adult film industry's annual awards banquet, a spouse-swapping convention, sex-toy purveyors preying on the pocket-protector crowd attending ElectroniCon... Still Lucky can't resist turning over a few stones.

When a former flame is one of the snakes she uncovers, Lucky is certain the woman's death was no Sin City suicide. To top it all off, Lucky's best friend, Teddie--Las Vegas's finest female impersonator--presses to take their relationship to the next level. Leave it to Lucky to attract a man who looks better in a dress than she does.

Lucky must manage the Babylon's outrageous festivities, solve the crime, and struggle to keep her life and libido from spinning out of control. ( )
  treehousereader | Apr 24, 2016 |
Las Vegas is the star of this book, with female impersonators, adult film industry functions, and general debauchery overshadowing the mystery. A woman jumps to her death from a sightseeing helicopter... or is it murder? Lucky, who works for a casino, is on the case. ( )
1 vote ennie | Dec 4, 2013 |
4.5 stars

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Lucky O’Toole is head of Customer Relations at the Babylon; Las Vegas’ newest and largest ‘mega-casino’. Her job title may be simple but her job is far from it as she’s responsible for any problems and for making sure that all casino operations runs smoothly. When a woman falls to her death from a Babylon helicopter and it doesn’t look like a suicide, it’s Lucky’s job to get a handle on the situation so that the situation doesn’t tarnish the Babylon name.

This book sat on my shelf for a shamefully long time… I finally decided to pick it up when I was in the mood for some simple good fun. I sure got that with ‘Wanna Get Lucky?’ but I got so much more on top of that. I went into this mentally comparing it to a Janet Evanovich novel but I ended up being blown away by how much better it was and how much I enjoyed it. A fun mystery, an authentic romance, and strong likeable characters… this book had it all for me.

I love a good mystery, and this one entertaining and exciting. I loved how there were so many facets to the mystery and how each smaller story eventually tied in to the ‘bigger picture’. The end result may have been slightly inevitable but I give the author major points for still managing to make it exciting with each step of the way.

I think it’s a requirement that there be a secondary character that’s hilarious and cusses a lot. In this series, that would be her pet parrot, Newton. He wasn’t a major part of the story but the few scenes he was in were memorable enough.

The elevator deposited me in the middle of my living room.
“Where you been, bitch?”
God, I’d forgotten about the bird. My one foray into pet ownership and it had to be a belligerent macaw with a foul mouth.

Lucky was a wonderful character that I loved from the start. Charming, witty, and independent (and no that didn’t change with the introduction of a love interest!) she was my kind of girl. She was just a normal badass; she didn’t have super powers or even an awesome weapon, she managed to still be able to hold her own and take care of business. I look forward to reading more in this series… it has huge potential and I’m really excited to see where the author takes it!

Thank you to the publisher for providing me a copy of this book for review. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
Review posted here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2012/05/book-review-wanna-get-lucky-lucky.ht...

Thanks to Leyane for asking me to review this. I honestly had no idea what I was missing. This book was quite the page-turner jammed packed with the world's most amazing and borderline psychotic characters ever. Then again, can't expect anything less from Las Vegas.

From page one the book instantly puts you in the action. A girl who works for the Las Vegas hotel Treasure Island Hotel has seemingly fell out of a helicopter. But it makes no sense since she was talking about bettering her life. It is up to head of customer relations, Lucky, to dissolve the problem without much publicity. It is her job to keep things under wraps. I love how deep the mystery went with this book. What seems like a run-of-the-mill accident turns out to be much much more given that the creep of a helicopter pilot, Willie the Weasel, decides to run and hide.

There is also more concerning who the creep is working with. Since it is mentioned he isn't the brightest. They are looking for his partner as well. I also love the suspicions surrounded the new head of security, the sexy Paxton. There are plenty pieces given in this book and Coonts handled them beautifully. I was so into this story, I really didn't want it to end.

As I said, the characters are not of the usual variety and that is what makes this book even better. Lucky definitely matches to the beat of her own drum. She has her head on straight and does what she can to protect those around her even those that may or may not deserve it. But it is in the job description. I love the chemistry between her and Paxton. I liked Paxton but he was very fishy in the book. It was fun trying to figure out his secrets and he has plenty.

But most surprising of all is the romance in this book. You think Paxton is the guy. Nope, the romance actually develops between Lucky and her best friend Teddie. Teddie is a well-known cross-dressing impersonator. You read that right. I loved this because not only were they truly a match made in Las Vegas heaven, but it really changes your perspective. I love that Coonts did stray from the usual male personas we are so use to. It really put a smile on my face because Teddie is a blast.

This is high recommendation for those that love a good mystery mixed with plenty of witty dialogue and out of this world characters. I hear the books get better and better, so I am definitely going to start book 2 next. If you are a fan of the Stephanie Plum series, I think you should start this immediately. It is full of laughs and very unforgettable characters. If you want a read that is beyond entertaining, get a copy of this book right now. ( )
1 vote harleyquinn0887 | May 11, 2012 |

Is contained in

A young woman plunges from a Las Vegas sightseeing helicopter, landing in the Pirate’s lagoon in front of the Treasure Island Hotel in the middle of the 8:30 Pirate Show.  Almost everyone writes her off as another Vegas victim.

But Lucky O’Toole smells a rat.  She’s head of Customer Relations at The Babylon, the newest, most opulent mega-casino and resort on the Strip, so she’s got a lot on her plate: the Adult Film industry’s annual awards banquet, a spouse-swapping convention, sex toy purveyors preying on the pocket-protector crowd attending ElectroniCon….  Still, Lucky can’t resist turning over a few stones.

When a former flame is one of the snakes she uncovers, Lucky’s certain she’s no longer dealing with an anonymous Sin City suicide.  To top it all off, Lucky’s best friend Teddie—Las Vegas’ finest female impersonator—presses to take their relationship to the next level.  Leave it to Lucky to attract a man who looks better in a dress than she does.

Lucky must manage the Babylon’s onslaught of outrageous festivities, solve a murder, and struggle to keep her life and libido from spinning out of control… not to mention keep her balance in six inch heels.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:26 -0400)

A young woman plunges from a Las Vegas sightseeing helicopter, landing in the pirates' lagoon in front of the Treasure Island Hotel in the middle of the 8:30 p.m. pirate show. Every writes her off as another Vegas victim, except Lucky O'Toole. As head of Customer Relations at Babylon megacasino and resort, she's got a lot on her plate, but she can't resist getting involved in this one.… (more)

Deborah Coonts is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible