The Digging-est Dog by Al Perkins

The Digging-est Dog (1967)

by Al Perkins, Eric Gurney (Illustrator)

This is one of my all time favorite books! This is about a dog names Duke who spent his life in a pet store and never learned how to dig like a real dog because of the hard cement floor. When Duke is finally adopted, the real dogs who are around the neighborhood don't accept him because he has never learned how to dig. Soon, Duke finds that he can dig and goes a little crazy digging up the whole town. When Duke gets in trouble and digs too deep, his friends devise a plan to help him. He then puts the town back together.

Cute book with easy context and lots of rhyming words. I would definitely read this to a K-3 audience. ( )
  RiaO | Nov 28, 2013 |
Funny story about a lonely pet store dog who finally finds a home with Sammy Brown on his families farm. Sammy names the dog Duke and they both learn Duke does not know how to dig as all dogs should know. Both are disappointed but Duke wishes to please his master and continues to practice wiggling one paw then wiggling the other finally digging. The only problem is that Duke is so excited that he can finally dig, that he digs and digs and digs to because he wants his master to be happy. However, Duke digs up gates, flower beds, hens, and pigs, and finally Highway Eighty-one until Sammy stops him.

Great illustrations bring a smile to the readers face as we see animals flying into the air as Duke digs them up. Good book to share with children about owning a pet and how animals have feelings too. ( )
  runner_roader | Apr 30, 2011 |
Depressing, from the pet store purchase to the servile behavior of the dog, to the threat by the lad to send the dog back to the pet store. ( )
  lquilter | Apr 7, 2011 |
This is a story of a dog who is purchased by a young boy from a pet store and taken to live on his family’s farm. Soon after, he and the boy learn that he does not know how to dig since he spent so long in the pet store. This dilemma which eventually resolves itself, gives rise to the opposite problem which is that he can’t stop digging and digs up the entire town. The story has elements of loyalty with the boy and the dog as well as his dog friends who eventually rescue him from drowning even though they are mad at him. At the end he rectifies all of what he did by digging back everything he dug up.
  DavidFrank | Feb 18, 2011 |
This was one of my top five favorite books as a child. I read it over and over and over for years. I always thought it was kind of sad, but I empathized with the problem of being over-zealous when trying to perform well to please the people you love. The Digging-est Dog just wanted to be loved, and I, for one, did love him. (And still do, I just got ahold of a copy for myself after all these years.)
  macsbrains | Jan 5, 2011 |

Al Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gurney, EricIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Illus. in full color. A dog who has to learn how to dig doesn't stop until he has dug up the whole town.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:38 -0400)

Scorned by his new dog friends because he never learned to dig, Duke suddenly discovers his inherent dog talent and turns the countryside into a series of ruts and holes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,497,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible