The Confession of Katherine Howard by…

The Confession of Katherine Howard (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Suzannah Dunn

1902862,147 (3.09)26
Member:AnneBrooke
Title:The Confession of Katherine Howard
Authors:Suzannah Dunn
Info:HarperPress (2010), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Historical fiction

The Confession of Katherine Howard by Suzannah Dunn (2010)

It's no Wolf Hall, but was interesting to hear a bit more about this young, flighty queen and her disastrous short marriage to Henry VIII. As others have said the modern language makes it feel inauthentic, but does also make it very readable. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Nov 16, 2016 |
I know with this being fiction there were liberties taken on what actually happened. But I found the book very well written and easy to follow. It always intrigues me what happened that long ago and how people were treated. It's amazing that she was so young when she died and also how many wives the king had. It's also interesting that if he got bored with his wife he just had her killed. This is a fast read and very descriptive so you can really visualize the characters. I really enjoyed this book. I recommend it if you want to read something about the 1500s. It actually interested me so much I read further about Katherine Howard and the other people involved. It made me a little more interested in that part of history. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book but at the same time was frustrated by the use of modern language which jarred dreadfully throughout. It's clearly incredibly well researched, the descriptive use of language was brilliant but the dialogue really let it down in my opinion.
If Suzannah Dunn had taken as much care with her character's voices as she did with all the other historical nuances then this would have been a five star book but alas it wasn't to be. And I don't mean I wanted to read them hey nonny nonning, just less modern jargon would have been enough. ( )
  Cadiva | Apr 1, 2015 |
The 2nd November was the last time when everything was alright, and the day it was All Souls, the day of the dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062011472, Paperback)

The tragic, moving, and gripping story of the ascendance and fall of Katherine Howard, fifth wife of Henry VIII, and the best friend she nearly dragged down with her

When twelve-year-old Katherine Howard comes to live in the Duchess of Norfolk’s household she could not be more different than her poor relation, Cat Tilney. Yet, of all their companions, it is Cat, watchful and ambitious, to whom the seemingly frivolous young girl confides. When Katherine is summoned to the royal court at seventeen—to become, months later, the wife of Henry VIII after he casts off his previous queen—she leaves behind an ex-lover, Francis, with whom Cat is soon passionately involved.

But a future that seems assured for the pampered new queen and her maid-in-waiting lasts a brief year and a half, only to be imperiled by improper acts and scandalous allegations of girlhood love affairs. Imprisoned in the Tower and hoping to escape a most terrible fate, a frightened, desperate Katherine relates a version of events that only Cat recognizes as a lie—as more than one life is threatened by what she alone knows to be the truth about Katherine Howard’s past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:51 -0400)

The tragic, moving, and gripping story of the ascendance and fall of Katherine Howard, fifth wife of Henry VIII-- and the best friend she nearly dragged down with her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Confession of Katherine Howard by Suzannah Dunn was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible