The Confession of Katherine Howard by…

The Confession of Katherine Howard (edition 2010)

by Suzannah Dunn

Rating:***
Tags:Historical fiction

The Confession of Katherine Howard by Suzannah Dunn

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
found this novel very similar to a Philippa Gregory book in the historical fiction genre. Here, the story centers on the coming of age of Katherine Howard and fellow protégés of Agnes Howard, Dowager Duchess of Norfolk. The story flips back and forth from the present day of November 2nd, 1541 and the, roughly, 5 or 6 years prior to. The roommates, specifically, Katherine and her close friend "Cat" learn about life and love under the protective and shielded care of the Duchess yet find plenty of time to be naughty with the available men on the estate.
Fun and games should have probably come to a conclusion when King Henry VIII makes Katherine his fifth wife but she feels she's earned the right to continue to have her other amusements, afterall, her new husband is huge and slobbering. Of course, Henry's been down this road before and knows there are ways to silence such a wife.
A fairly good book and I would recommend it to others if you want a quick and entertaining read. Those well versed in history may find some inconsistencies however this is fiction and liberty's may have been taken. ( )
  Carmenere | Aug 13, 2013 |
When 12 year old Katherine comes living with the Duchess of Norfolk, she meets Cat Tilney and they become friends despite having very little in common. From early on Katherine is more interested in boys and clothes tan anything else and Cat is more reserved. One of the boys living there is Francis Dereham who soon falls for Katherine but when she leaves to court, Francis is left behind with Cat and they slowly start to become more closer than before.

First of all I don’t know any other author who’s book title and synopsis is as confusing and misleading as Dunn’s. Every book I’ve read so far sounds like it’s telling the story of someone else than it really is. You could think this book is told from Katherine’s point of view but it’s told from Cat’s pov the whole time.

I think I liked this best from the books I’ve read from this author. It was rather quick read and while the little too modern writing with “could’ve”, should’ve and the like. I’m also not sure if they would have said that "What goes up must come down".

Katherine is usually described like she has no brains whatsoever so it was refreshing to read this version of her, even if she wasn’t very likeable person. It gave the feeling she was too self-centered and didn’t love anyone else besides herself.

All in all it was enjoyable and rather quick read. But you will most likely learn more about Cat Tilney than Katherine Howard. ( )
  Elysianfield | Mar 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This version of Katherine Howard’s story is told by one of her close friends, Catherine Tilney. The first person narration makes the title of the book rather misleading since that actually makes it not the confession of Katherine Howard and Henry’s fifth wife actually ends up more of a background character. The result is a somewhat chatty, middle-school narration which somehow seems a little too modern and “gossip girl-ish”. ( )
  tanzanite | Jan 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is another novel about Katherine Howard, the fifth wife of Henry VIII. I do have to say that this was not one of the best books I have read about Katherine Howard. A very young girl put into a situation at the greed of other, and way too young to be put against a king who has not problems getting what he wants at the expense of others, usually his wives losing their heads. ( )
  celticlady53 | Oct 6, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This short novel is a retelling of the story of Katherine Howard, the girl who wound up becoming King Henry VIII's fifth wife. The novel is written from the perspective of Cat Tilney, a relative who grew up in the same household as Katherine and eventually became her friend and confidant. I found this unique viewpoint to be a refreshing change from the other novels I've read about Katherine Howard, which were all narrated by Katherine herself. I also found the author's take on Katherine to be refreshing. Katherine Howard is usually painted as a naive and dull-witted young girl who foolishly lets her heart get the best of her. Suzannah Dunn's Katherine, on the other hand, is a worldly and cunning young lady who is often easily able to manipulate those around her. She is very much in control of her life.

I found the speech the characters used to be far-fetched. They often sounded more like modern-day teen girls than young ladies in the Tudor era.

I think that the title of this novel could be a bit misleading. It makes it sound like the book will be a first-hand account of Katherine's life in her own words when it is in actuality narrated by one of her companions.

Overall, I would give "The Confession of Katherine Howard" two stars. It was interesting enough to hold my attention, but I didn't find it enjoyable enough to go on my "to re-read" shelf. ( )
  Crittercrazyjen | Jul 24, 2011 |
The 2nd November was the last time when everything was alright, and the day it was All Souls, the day of the dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062011472, Paperback)

The tragic, moving, and gripping story of the ascendance and fall of Katherine Howard, fifth wife of Henry VIII, and the best friend she nearly dragged down with her

When twelve-year-old Katherine Howard comes to live in the Duchess of Norfolk’s household she could not be more different than her poor relation, Cat Tilney. Yet, of all their companions, it is Cat, watchful and ambitious, to whom the seemingly frivolous young girl confides. When Katherine is summoned to the royal court at seventeen—to become, months later, the wife of Henry VIII after he casts off his previous queen—she leaves behind an ex-lover, Francis, with whom Cat is soon passionately involved.

But a future that seems assured for the pampered new queen and her maid-in-waiting lasts a brief year and a half, only to be imperiled by improper acts and scandalous allegations of girlhood love affairs. Imprisoned in the Tower and hoping to escape a most terrible fate, a frightened, desperate Katherine relates a version of events that only Cat recognizes as a lie—as more than one life is threatened by what she alone knows to be the truth about Katherine Howard’s past.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:56 -0400)

The tragic, moving, and gripping story of the ascendance and fall of Katherine Howard, fifth wife of Henry VIII-- and the best friend she nearly dragged down with her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Confession of Katherine Howard by Suzannah Dunn was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,342,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible