Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Shadowfever

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (5)

3.5 stars

What a ride this series was, though at times, it was slow moving and bumpy. I found the ending satisfying, though I'm not still not convinced that it's love between Mac & Barrons. One time Mac mentioned seeing lust and fury in Barrons' eyes and that sums up their relationship to me. I think my problem was that I was doing what Barrons told Fiona and Mac not to do, romanticize him. When Barrons says this to Mac near the end of the book, I realized that I needed to do the same.

“I’m not the hero, Mac. Never have been. Never will be. Let us be perfectly clear: I’m not the antihero, either, so quit waiting to discover my hidden potential. There’s nothing to redeem me.”

So while I don't think it's a love match, they are right for each other.

The twist and turns in this book astounded me; I didn't see them coming and I couldn't believe them either. The truth about the Seelie Queen and especially, V'lane, blew my mind. I wanted to kill him. I wanted Mac and Barrons to destroy him. He put her through so much hell. The kicker is that I liked him before this. I didn't want V'lane and Mac together, but I was hoping they could remain friends. Ha!

If it wasn't for my emotional investment in Mac, I probably wouldn't have continued reading this series. Many times I felt it was moving too slow, talking about unimportant details. A lot of the plot was dragged on, IMO. Sometimes I felt like I was watching Lost all over again. So while it wasn't the best series I've ever read, my feelings for the characters will stay with me.

ETA: One thing I wanted to mention and I forgot. The main thing that pissed me off about Barrons was how he didn't want to answer ANY of Mac's questions! Not one, as if she didn't have a right to know. She definitely did. A lot of the grief she suffered was due to lack of knowledge that Barrons' could have provided. Plus, he was just a jackass to her all the time. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
WOW. THIS BOOK WAS SO LONG AND SO AMAZING.

Well, it's not the longest I've read, but it seemed longer than it was (in a good way) because there was so much going on. The Duality sort of confused me. When she is in the white mansion. Your constantly wondering what and who Mac is. I think it's funny how Mac says that she's bi-polar, and while you read this book, you can see all the different attitude flips. I myself have a few friends/family how are indeed bi-polar, and you can see it. One second she is terrified, next it's EXTREME despair/agony, then it's a rage and hatred so deep she seems different, and of course she gets a kiss and is her pink bubbly self again. I think the flips in her attitude are part of what make her such an interesting character to read. I need to reread the series, to catch everything again.

Questions that DO get answered:
Who's the King?
Where's the Queen? Who is the Queen?
Who killed Alina?
What is Mac? Who is Mac?
Is her family ok?
What is Barrens after the book for?
What is Vlayne after it for?

There is just so much in this book that if you say one thing you end up spoiling so much. So let's just say that this book has everything you can imagine, and everything you want, plus way more. ( )
  RozzieReads | Jun 5, 2018 |
Shadowfever
3 Stars

Shadowfever is a huge disappointment. The world building and secondary characters are intriguing and make you want to continue, as does Phil Gigante's narration, which is completely captivating. Nevertheless, Mac's incessant drivel and the endless repetition of scene after scene from earlier installments ruin it all.

The first 1/4 of the book drags on and on with no end in sight. I found myself begging Moning to "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY" and was on the verge of calling it quits when Barrons finally put in an appearance and the plot actually began to move forward albeit slowly.

In general, the storyline is good with some compelling twists and turns. However, the slow pacing and constant diversions with Mac's never ending rumination detract from the tension and suspense, and by the time the surprising revelation finally arrives, you've lost interest and couldn't care less.

Mac seriously gets on my nerves. Her woe is me attitude and sexual attraction to every male in the series are tiresome, and I cannot, for the life of me, understand what the hell they all see in her. If she weren't the heroine, I would agree with Ryordan that she needs to be killed.

In sum, if the book focused on Barrons as the main character, the plot was tightened up and the page count reduced by 200 pages or so, then Shadowfever would rate 5 stars. However, even Mac and Barrons' silent conversations and their intense sexual chemistry cannot compensate for the inherent shortcomings of the disjointed writing and poor pacing.

I might continue with the spin-off series as Dani is an endearing character but I will probably wait for more books to be published before getting into it as Moning has a nasty reputation for cliffhangers. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I can't believe that it's finally over, after waiting every painstaking year for the next one in the series. All questions have been answered, some which have been completely unexpected and some which we kind of figured out. So many revelations, this book kept me on the edge of my seat. It starts off where Dreamfever left off, so i had to go back and read that first - I was confused after reading the first chapter of Shadowfever, it had been that long! Shadowfever took me by surprise, it was sooo good, my favourite of the series now! ( )
  yas4735 | May 1, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book, found it a lot more mellow than the rest of the series, but it tied everything up well. I read that there will be 5 more books in this series.. I will check them out for sure. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow -T.S. Eliot

I feel it deep within
It's just beneath the skin
I must confess that i feel like a monster - Skillet "Monster"
For the irrepressible M.
You wish to know me?
"You're leaving me, Rainbow Girl" - Barrons
"Some things are sacred until you act like they're not. then you lose them"
"I'm not the hero, Mac. Never have been. Never will be. Let us be perfectly clear: I'm not the antihero, either, so quit waiting to discover my hidden potential. There's nothing to redeem me."

“Evil is a completely different creature, Mac. Evil is bad that believes it’s good.”

MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina, were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever.

Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister’s murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, Mac is plunged into a secret history: an ancient conflict between humans and immortals who have lived concealed among us for thousands of years.

What follows is a shocking chain of events with devastating consequences, and now Mac struggles to cope with grief while continuing her mission to acquire and control the Sinsar Dubh—a book of dark, forbidden magic scribed by the mythical Unseelie King, containing the power to create and destroy worlds.

In an epic battle between humans and Fae, the hunter becomes the hunted when the Sinsar Dubh turns on Mac and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves. Who can she turn to? Who can she trust? Who is the woman haunting her dreams? More important, who is Mac herself and what is the destiny she glimpses in the black and crimson designs of an ancient tarot card?

From the luxury of the Lord Master’s penthouse to the sordid depths of an Unseelie nightclub, from the erotic bed of her lover to the terrifying bed of the Unseelie King, Mac’s journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and to make a choice that will either save the world . . . or destroy it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385341679, Hardcover)

A Letter from Author Karen Marie Moning

The Fever Series is all about seeing the truths beneath the illusions and figuring out how to deal with them—or die. While investigating her sister’s murder in Dublin, MacKayla Lane discovers that beneath the beautiful surfaces of nearly everyone and everything she encounters, there’s something else entirely. From the Fae with their deadly glamour, to the siren-call of the Unseelie king’s all-powerful book of dark magic, to Mac herself who starts out young, lovely and innocent only to end up—well, you’ll have to read Shadowfever to find that out—nothing is as it seems.

When I first saw the concept art for the cover of Shadowfever, I was thrilled with how well it encapsulated the entire series in a dual design. Lift the acetate cover of Shadowfever and there’s something else beneath it: a picture of a woman whose back is to the camera (for good reasons, she doesn’t even like to look in the mirror lately) staring off in the distance at something you can’t see (and probably wouldn’t want to anyway) with a tattoo on her back of black wings, like the Unseelie king. But Mac’s human. Isn’t she?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:51 -0400)

Alina is dead and her sister Mac has returned to Ireland, the country that expelled them, to hunt her sister's murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, she descends into an epic battle between humans and Fae immortals as the Sinsar Dubh turns on her, and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves. Mac's journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and make a choice that will either save the world ... or destroy it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,330,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible