(SHADOWFEVER)) by Moning, Karen…

(SHADOWFEVER)) by Moning, Karen Marie(Author)Hardcover{Shadowfever} on… (edition 2011)

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (5)

Member:ericon22
Title:(SHADOWFEVER)) by Moning, Karen Marie(Author)Hardcover{Shadowfever} on 18-Jan-2011
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2011), Hardcover

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Shadowfever
3 Stars

Shadowfever is a huge disappointment. The world building and secondary characters are intriguing and make you want to continue, as does Phil Gigante's narration, which is completely captivating. Nevertheless, Mac's incessant drivel and the endless repetition of scene after scene from earlier installments ruin it all.

The first 1/4 of the book drags on and on with no end in sight. I found myself begging Moning to "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY" and was on the verge of calling it quits when Barrons finally put in an appearance and the plot actually began to move forward albeit slowly.

In general, the storyline is good with some compelling twists and turns. However, the slow pacing and constant diversions with Mac's never ending rumination detract from the tension and suspense, and by the time the surprising revelation finally arrives, you've lost interest and couldn't care less.

Mac seriously gets on my nerves. Her woe is me attitude and sexual attraction to every male in the series are tiresome, and I cannot, for the life of me, understand what the hell they all see in her. If she weren't the heroine, I would agree with Ryordan that she needs to be killed.

In sum, if the book focused on Barrons as the main character, the plot was tightened up and the page count reduced by 200 pages or so, then Shadowfever would rate 5 stars. However, even Mac and Barrons' silent conversations and their intense sexual chemistry cannot compensate for the inherent shortcomings of the disjointed writing and poor pacing.

I might continue with the spin-off series as Dani is an endearing character but I will probably wait for more books to be published before getting into it as Moning has a nasty reputation for cliffhangers. ( )
1 vote Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
The Fever series followed her Highlander series. I loved the Highlander series and hope she writes more of them, This series takes place in Ireland and follows an American girl that goes to Ireland to find who killed her sister. The people that she meets are not all they seem to be and they have diffident agendas of their own. Fairies, magic, and supernatural beings co-exist with the humans. This series does absolutely need to be read in order. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Very happy with the way it ended! I'm really hoping that she decides to write more. She definitely left it, so that she can. I just love Barrons. I believe he is my new favorite male character :) ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
My 2nd time reading this book.

The first time I read this book, I thought it was the last. I can't begin to express how incredibly happy I am that there will be more. Mac finally let's Barrons see how she feels. This is epic, but she also finally confronts the evil she's been chasing. Which is just as epic. We see just how much she's grown over the course of the five books. We see how much Barrons has opened up as well. I wish we'd had a little more closure with Dani, however I've begun reading Iced now, so I'm sure I'll get that closure this time around. I love Moning's writing and can't wait for more Mac books to be written and published. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Reading this series was like reading one long book... I am glad I waited until the whole series was out before attempting it though - the endings on the first four books will give you a conniption fit! I hope we get to see more of Mac and Barrons in the next Moning series. I feel like the series ended just when they were getting to the good part! ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow -T.S. Eliot

I feel it deep within
It's just beneath the skin
I must confess that i feel like a monster - Skillet "Monster"
For the irrepressible M.
You wish to know me?
"You're leaving me, Rainbow Girl" - Barrons
"Some things are sacred until you act like they're not. then you lose them"
"I'm not the hero, Mac. Never have been. Never will be. Let us be perfectly clear: I'm not the antihero, either, so quit waiting to discover my hidden potential. There's nothing to redeem me."

“Evil is a completely different creature, Mac. Evil is bad that believes it’s good.”

MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina, were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever.

Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister’s murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, Mac is plunged into a secret history: an ancient conflict between humans and immortals who have lived concealed among us for thousands of years.

What follows is a shocking chain of events with devastating consequences, and now Mac struggles to cope with grief while continuing her mission to acquire and control the Sinsar Dubh—a book of dark, forbidden magic scribed by the mythical Unseelie King, containing the power to create and destroy worlds.

In an epic battle between humans and Fae, the hunter becomes the hunted when the Sinsar Dubh turns on Mac and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves. Who can she turn to? Who can she trust? Who is the woman haunting her dreams? More important, who is Mac herself and what is the destiny she glimpses in the black and crimson designs of an ancient tarot card?

From the luxury of the Lord Master’s penthouse to the sordid depths of an Unseelie nightclub, from the erotic bed of her lover to the terrifying bed of the Unseelie King, Mac’s journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and to make a choice that will either save the world . . . or destroy it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385341679, Hardcover)

A Letter from Author Karen Marie Moning

The Fever Series is all about seeing the truths beneath the illusions and figuring out how to deal with them—or die. While investigating her sister’s murder in Dublin, MacKayla Lane discovers that beneath the beautiful surfaces of nearly everyone and everything she encounters, there’s something else entirely. From the Fae with their deadly glamour, to the siren-call of the Unseelie king’s all-powerful book of dark magic, to Mac herself who starts out young, lovely and innocent only to end up—well, you’ll have to read Shadowfever to find that out—nothing is as it seems.

When I first saw the concept art for the cover of Shadowfever, I was thrilled with how well it encapsulated the entire series in a dual design. Lift the acetate cover of Shadowfever and there’s something else beneath it: a picture of a woman whose back is to the camera (for good reasons, she doesn’t even like to look in the mirror lately) staring off in the distance at something you can’t see (and probably wouldn’t want to anyway) with a tattoo on her back of black wings, like the Unseelie king. But Mac’s human. Isn’t she?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:51 -0400)

Alina is dead and her sister Mac has returned to Ireland, the country that expelled them, to hunt her sister's murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, she descends into an epic battle between humans and Fae immortals as the Sinsar Dubh turns on her, and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves. Mac's journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and make a choice that will either save the world ... or destroy it.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,815,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible