(SHADOWFEVER)) by Moning, Karen…

(SHADOWFEVER)) by Moning, Karen Marie(Author)Hardcover{Shadowfever} on… (edition 2011)

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (5)

Member:ericon22
Title:(SHADOWFEVER)) by Moning, Karen Marie(Author)Hardcover{Shadowfever} on 18-Jan-2011
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2011), Hardcover

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

It was worth it. I couldn't stop reading. It was fascinating, intriguing, hot and you know, simply interesting (as in, all these pages ADD and I never got bored or skimmed). Yes, Mac could still makes me want to do criminal acts but hey, life ain't perfect. I even found myself liking her at times.
There are rumers KMM is writing a spin-off, this should be interesting. ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
There are rumers KMM is writing a spin-off, this should be interesting. ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
Ok...where do I start, other than to saw this was AWESOME!!!!

At the beginning of the book, I was a little stunned. I must say, the whole Barrons being the beast thing didn't actually surprise me, but the fact that Mac had a total meltdown over it....not what I was expecting at all! I figured she would have a good cry and want to lay down and die a little...not go all crazy chick on everything in her path! I am impressed that she did and totally love her for it. But it was still unexpected. She always finds a way to surprise me.

Dani really stepped up in this book and I loved seeing her that way. I was a little surpised that she was the one who led Alina to slaughter (even though the fact that it was all Rowena's doing didn't stun me in the least...bitch). I know Mac truly loves her, and when Barrons was speaking with her about it so calmly, telling her that she really needed to think hard about killing her...LOVED HIM THEN!! It showed a side of him that I was hoping to see but didn't really expect to.

On the topic of Barrons...jealous much?? I knew it from the beginning, but man did he ever show it! I was not expecting his son to be alive (so to speak) and can't imagine what he was going through. I still can't belive that he actually opened up to Mac so much after she discovered his son (and was almost killed in the process...sad to say, it was one of my favorite scenes though). I figured Barrons would have been pissed...his usual self. Maybe it was the fact that he saw her throat ripped out, I don't know. But he definitely put himself out there for her to see and it was great.

V'Lane being Cruce?? Actually didn't surprise me in the least. There was always something about him that just didn't click right. Although I always thought hat he and Mac would be awesome together if the while Barrons thing didn't work out...actually, that opinion still stands. I fully believe that V'Lane/Cruce DID have genuine feelings for her in some way. It may not have been the best match, you know...with the whole him trying to become the Unseelie King and all and being pretty evil...but it still would have been interesting.

DEG....totally a little selfish. I was not expecting him to be the King (but I was glad that it wasn't Mac...will get to THAT thought in a minute) and I know he kind of helped out at the end...but he still left everyone to deal on their own after he picked up his Concubine. I understand that he was happy to see her and all, but he could have helped Mac out with the Song of Unmaking at the very least. That pissed me off to be honest. The one thing that Barrons had actually asked for, she couldn't get and I'm pretty sure the King could have done something about it after all she had been through. Really....would it have been that hard?

Now Mac...Concubine? Unseelie King? Book? Fae? Holy identity crisis much? I'm happy that she found her way and has a real chance to be happy now. I think she really deserves it and worked her ass off to get there. I was thrilled that she was willing to pretty much give herself up to give Barrons the spell he wanted for his son and was overjoyed when he wouldn't let her. Guess the thought really does count when it comes to Barrons...who knew? Smart chick though....didn't see the K'Vruck thing coming. I never would have even thought of using him to kill Barrons' son. It is sad that he had to die, but happy that they found peace over it. I do have one problem though (I love how things change so much in this series) what the hell IS Mac? Thinking that about Barrons all this time, I never really thought much about her. Maybe I missed it (I DID stay up til 3am finishing this, lol) but I can't remember actually finding out what she really is? I know she has the book inside her, which makes her somehow part of the King. I know the King has been keeping an eye on her all these years (although other than the prophecy bit, I really can't put my finger on why). To be honest, I was surprised that she didn't end up being the Seelie Queen at the end. That's is what I figured would happen, although I'm glad it didn't. Would have seriously done some damage to her and Barrons' relationship I think. But seriously, what is she??? Did I miss something important?

All in all, I loved this book. I still have some unanswered questions (but that might just be me missing parts in my all-nighter reading marathon to finish) and thoughts about how things should have been...but this rollercoaster ride was great! So sad that it had to end, although I'm not sure I could have taken much more. I haven't felt so strongly reading a book in, well....ever. ( )
  beautyandtheblog | Feb 13, 2017 |
Enjoyed the ride. Easy read and fun. Wasn't crazy about the end, but overall satisfied. Enjoy. ( )
  MicheleMG | Feb 1, 2017 |
Shadowfever
3 Stars

Shadowfever is a huge disappointment. The world building and secondary characters are intriguing and make you want to continue, as does Phil Gigante's narration, which is completely captivating. Nevertheless, Mac's incessant drivel and the endless repetition of scene after scene from earlier installments ruin it all.

The first 1/4 of the book drags on and on with no end in sight. I found myself begging Moning to "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY" and was on the verge of calling it quits when Barrons finally put in an appearance and the plot actually began to move forward albeit slowly.

In general, the storyline is good with some compelling twists and turns. However, the slow pacing and constant diversions with Mac's never ending rumination detract from the tension and suspense, and by the time the surprising revelation finally arrives, you've lost interest and couldn't care less.

Mac seriously gets on my nerves. Her woe is me attitude and sexual attraction to every male in the series are tiresome, and I cannot, for the life of me, understand what the hell they all see in her. If she weren't the heroine, I would agree with Ryordan that she needs to be killed.

In sum, if the book focused on Barrons as the main character, the plot was tightened up and the page count reduced by 200 pages or so, then Shadowfever would rate 5 stars. However, even Mac and Barrons' silent conversations and their intense sexual chemistry cannot compensate for the inherent shortcomings of the disjointed writing and poor pacing.

I might continue with the spin-off series as Dani is an endearing character but I will probably wait for more books to be published before getting into it as Moning has a nasty reputation for cliffhangers. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow -T.S. Eliot

I feel it deep within
It's just beneath the skin
I must confess that i feel like a monster - Skillet "Monster"
For the irrepressible M.
You wish to know me?
"You're leaving me, Rainbow Girl" - Barrons
"Some things are sacred until you act like they're not. then you lose them"
"I'm not the hero, Mac. Never have been. Never will be. Let us be perfectly clear: I'm not the antihero, either, so quit waiting to discover my hidden potential. There's nothing to redeem me."

“Evil is a completely different creature, Mac. Evil is bad that believes it’s good.”

MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina, were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever.

Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister’s murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, Mac is plunged into a secret history: an ancient conflict between humans and immortals who have lived concealed among us for thousands of years.

What follows is a shocking chain of events with devastating consequences, and now Mac struggles to cope with grief while continuing her mission to acquire and control the Sinsar Dubh—a book of dark, forbidden magic scribed by the mythical Unseelie King, containing the power to create and destroy worlds.

In an epic battle between humans and Fae, the hunter becomes the hunted when the Sinsar Dubh turns on Mac and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves. Who can she turn to? Who can she trust? Who is the woman haunting her dreams? More important, who is Mac herself and what is the destiny she glimpses in the black and crimson designs of an ancient tarot card?

From the luxury of the Lord Master’s penthouse to the sordid depths of an Unseelie nightclub, from the erotic bed of her lover to the terrifying bed of the Unseelie King, Mac’s journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and to make a choice that will either save the world . . . or destroy it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385341679, Hardcover)

A Letter from Author Karen Marie Moning

The Fever Series is all about seeing the truths beneath the illusions and figuring out how to deal with them—or die. While investigating her sister’s murder in Dublin, MacKayla Lane discovers that beneath the beautiful surfaces of nearly everyone and everything she encounters, there’s something else entirely. From the Fae with their deadly glamour, to the siren-call of the Unseelie king’s all-powerful book of dark magic, to Mac herself who starts out young, lovely and innocent only to end up—well, you’ll have to read Shadowfever to find that out—nothing is as it seems.

When I first saw the concept art for the cover of Shadowfever, I was thrilled with how well it encapsulated the entire series in a dual design. Lift the acetate cover of Shadowfever and there’s something else beneath it: a picture of a woman whose back is to the camera (for good reasons, she doesn’t even like to look in the mirror lately) staring off in the distance at something you can’t see (and probably wouldn’t want to anyway) with a tattoo on her back of black wings, like the Unseelie king. But Mac’s human. Isn’t she?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:51 -0400)

Alina is dead and her sister Mac has returned to Ireland, the country that expelled them, to hunt her sister's murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, she descends into an epic battle between humans and Fae immortals as the Sinsar Dubh turns on her, and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves. Mac's journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and make a choice that will either save the world ... or destroy it.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,077,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible