Hello Kitty Must Die by Angela S. Choi

Hello Kitty Must Die

by Angela S. Choi

Interesting concept (Margaret Cho hangs with Quentin Tarantino), but not very well executed. Cute and amusing at times, but rushed and incomplete at others. ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 30, 2013 |
The Conversations of Fiona and her father is very funny.
11/25/2011 ( )
  wankorobo | Oct 25, 2011 |
Well, I just finished the book. It was much more interesting than I thought it would be. Actually, it was nothing like I thought it would be.

**Warning: Possible Spoilers Ahead**

It starts out about a Chinese-American woman who is having issues with her family. Mainly, she doesn't want to get married and her dad keeps setting her up with other Chinese guys. It starts off as a very feminist book. After all, she wants to take her own virginity because she doesn't want to give it up to a guy. But then her friend Sean is introduced and things start turning darker.

Lots of black humor. There were parts of it that had me laughing out loud. There were parts of it that made me wonder why I was reading this. But, at the end, the term Hello Kitty really stands for something. A female that does whatever her family says and who doesn't do anything to stand up for herself. It is interesting. I would willingly read another book by this author. ( )
  MegWesley | Aug 3, 2011 |
If you love that ubiquitous little Japanese icon of kitsch . . . this book is NOT for you. If you are a fan of Chuck Palahniuk' s work, however, this might be for you. It is sort of a Asian Girl's Guide How Not To Date. To say any more would be to give too much away except that this is not an Amy Tan novel either.

Angelina Choi takes us across may cultural taboos concerning dating and family honor and it is not too much of a stretch to say that this plot line could easily be adapted to any ethnicity, it just happens to be Chinese in this case.

Very dark, but very humorous in a twisted sort of way that fans of the surreal will enjoy. Not your typical summer reading fare, but hard to put down. Four stars for me on this as it is just short of groundbreaking! ( )
  PghDragonMan | Jun 19, 2011 |
The best serial killer story for people not interested in reading about serial killers told through the eyes of Chinese-American lawyer fighting against her cultural traditions and a family dead set on getting her married to a nice Chinese boy. The story is laugh-out-loud funny in it's description of Fiona's family and herself. ( )
  kkisser | Mar 18, 2011 |
To Mom, Dad, Meatball, & St. Jude

It all started with my missing hymen.

In this debut novel, the author "skewers the stereotypes of Asian girls as Hello Kitties ... and captures the disaffection of being young and smart in a country drowning in excess and saturated in media"--Dust jacket.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible