Counterfeit Magic by Kelley Armstrong

I enjoyed listing to this novella. It was short. It got exciting at the end. I figured Ava was up to something. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 23, 2016 |
Kind of short, I think she's publishing it herself. Liked the drawings with all of them. Will have to see what happens next. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
[b:Counterfeit Magic|7857695|Counterfeit Magic (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312215727s/7857695.jpg|10997187] takes place right before [b:Waking the Witch|6725785|Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, #11)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1265310260s/6725785.jpg|6921947] and is told from Paige Winterbourne's perspective. In this novella, Paige and company are hired to investigate a death in one of the supernatural fight clubs. I really loved this one, even though it ends a little abruptly. What really drew me in was seeing the emotional struggle Paige and Lucas were facing as he steps firmly into his role of heir to the Cortez Cabal. I would highly recommend this to fans of the series. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

This year Subterranean Press has published several novellas written by authors who’ve been on my radar but not necessarily at the top of my To Be Read stack. These little books are a perfect introduction to such writers because they’re easy to read in a few hours and I can get the “feel” or “flavor” of the authors and their worlds without spending a lot of time engaged in a longer novel, one that may not even be the end of the story.

Kelley Armstrong’s Counterfeit Magic is a perfect example. This 140ish page story takes place in Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld setting and features some of the characters from that world. Though I haven’t read anything by Armstrong before, I had no trouble jumping right in and immediately connecting with the same characters that Armstrong fans already love: Paige, Lucas, Savannah, and Adam.

The quick plot ostensibly involves a murder mystery at a supernatural fight club where Paige and Savannah infiltrate by setting up Savannah as a fighter. Those scenes were fun and the novella offers some sexy full-page black and white illustrations, some which portray Savannah in the boxing ring (see a few of them at Sub Press's website).

But the real plot goes deeper and affects the characters more personally. Some of the “bad guy’s” reasoning seemed a bit illogical, and the tension wrapped up a bit too quickly, but I didn’t really mind this in a novella. More importantly, even though these characters were new for me (and the story was short), Kelley Armstrong succeeded in making me care about their lives. I liked them from the start and am interested enough in their past and future histories to pick up a few more Women of the Otherworld novels. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I really like this story, but then I have not read a book or short story in the Women of the Otherworld series that I haven't liked (though stories with Clay are my favorite). This story really makes me want to read [b:Spell Bound|7797032|Spell Bound (Otherworld, #12)|Kelley Armstrong|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1292864599s/7797032.jpg|10767072]. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |

Witch detectives Paige Winterbourne and Savannah Levine investigate murders at a supernatural fight club in California.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,431,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible