Kitten by Mychael Black

Kitten by Mychael Black & Shayne Carmichael, February 16, 2008

I have had for about one year the intention to read this book. I think it was the first book I discover by Mychael Black and for a reason or another, never start to read it. Then some days ago I answered to a poll by Phaze and they gave an ebook free for that. So I chose Kitten.

I have always had an idea that Kitten was a iper sexy and kinky book, about a Master and his Pet relationship. Shaun is a werecat who didn't know until eighteen years old to be a shifter. In the futuristic world where he lives, weres are like pet for human: they are used for sex and play and they are not treat as human being. So when he learns the true about himself he flies away from the rehabilitation center where his parents have sold him. And he finds Ashley, a man who is contrary to the way the society treats weres and he decides to claim Shaun as his own pet to protect him.

Even if Ashley is the Master, he is not a commanding character. He craves intimacy and kindness and he is willing to give them back. He doesn't ask or pretend nothing from Shaun, but he waits for Shaun to give him all freely. Shaun is young and he know few things about sex, but a lot about what society expects him to do. And when he finds Ashley, he is deeply grateful to the fate that has led him to a so kind man. The relationship between the two is of comfort and tender love.

The story has a tinge of sadness I didn't expect. Really the few "kinky" scenes you will find are not essential to the story: I was just enough satisfy from the story as it was. Not that I'm complaining for them, but I have liked better the caring and tender part than the sexy.

elisa.rolle | Feb 25, 2010 |
I've thought about this one for a while having received and read it a couple weeks ago. In some ways I think it is a pity this story wasn't told as a science fiction story as opposed to erotica because the story by itself is captivating and imaginative. Part of the reason for my feeling is that some (most) of the erotica parts made me very squeamish, not really my cup of tea at all. I guess you can take that as a warning or an enticement based on your personal preference.

The story itself tells a tale of a world where animal shapeshifters are taken as slaves to be bartered and used in the way pets would be. Shaun had grown up with the belief that he was completely human, until his latent shapeshifting genes made themselves known when he turned 18. Shaun is sold to "The Institute" which monitors and regulates shapeshifters, by his parents and after a training period escapes. This story picks up when Shaun accidentally meets Ashley, a man whose revolutionary attitude as viewing shapeshifters as equals cost him the life of his lover many years before. Ashley takes Shaun into his care, but there is more to Shaun's past than even he is aware of and the future is never certain.

Although I have mixed feelings about the physicality between the leads I really enjoyed the book. I thought both Shaun and Ashley were entertaining characters, the members of the institute are suitably horrifying and the politics were interesting. I wouldn't suggest it to your average sci-fi aficionado due to the graphic erotica, but if you like graphic erotica with a superb storyline I suggest checking this one out.

Just wanted to add that this review is of the print book, not the ebook and it looks like they may be a bit different. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Oct 12, 2008 |

The story has a tinge of sadness I didn't expect. Really the few 'kinky' scenes you will find are not essential to the story: I was just enough satisfy from the story as it was. Not that I'm complaining for them, but I have liked better the caring and tender part than the sexy.

elisa.rolle | Oct 29, 2007 |
This novella is quite astonishing, and richly detailed for only being 42 pages. Shapeshifters have been genetically engineered and trained as pets for humans. Though sentient, they are true pets - wearing a collar and expected to sleep and eat on the floor when they aren't "pleasing" their masters. This isn't consensual BDSM--they have been bred to the leash, but did not choose it. Shuan thought he was human until he shifted before his 18th birthday. He was sold to The Institute to be trained, but escaped. Ashley is not like other masters. He wants to love and protect Shuan, but will society allow him?

The romance in the story is built slow. In fact, sex doesn't occur until nearly half-way through the novella, but the anticipation made it that much better. The two main character's are very well developed with a sufficient backstory. However, the story was disturbing and also quite sad. Though Ashley and Shuan end up together (as in all good romances) there is some torture in the story and the sad fact of a pet's existence is never far from a reader's mind. Most of humanity is portrayed quite rightly as cruel and it made some of the reading difficult. Unfortunately, treating people as less than human continues even today and "Kitten" is an unusual metaphor for such sorrow. Though the ending was happy, there is the lingering doubt that their happiness could still be ruined. (Which is no doubt where the sequels come in.) ( )
  jshillingford | Sep 10, 2007 |

Mychael Black is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible