The Bridge: The Life and Rise of Barack…

The Bridge: The Life and Rise of Barack Obama (edition 2010)

by David Remnick

Member:auntmarge64
Title:The Bridge: The Life and Rise of Barack Obama
Authors:David Remnick
Info:Knopf (2010), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 672 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library, Reviewed, U.S. Presidents Challenge
Tags:non-fiction, biography, U.S. - Presidents, history, Barack Obama

The Bridge: The Life and Rise of Barack Obama by David Remnick

Nicely written and researched Obama biography, that gives an interesting insight into the man (even if many of the details are familiar by now).

I do think this could have been cut by 1/4 without losing much. ( )
  xander_paul | May 30, 2016 |
"Why are you reading that?" someone asked. I started because of the reviews I read but Remnick's thoughtful biography of Barack Obama soon captured my attention for the several days it took me to read it. Remnick tries to be objective and analytical, which makes for an interesting analysis of who our current President is and the people and circumstances that have shaped his character and views. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
I felt like I was on the journey of self-discovery with Obama through his early years until his presidency. Peripheral characters were also well developed as well as the story of race in America. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
If you've read Dreams From My Father, this is a fascinating look at the story behind the story. Remnick does a ton of research into Obama's contacts and claims, and also provides historical background to many of the facets of Obama's life. It covers the ground from Obama's grandparents' history to his inauguration. I found it quite an engaging read and, while it's definitely sympathetic, it's definitely a little broader a perspective than an autobiography. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
An illuminating treatment of an overexposed subject. Highlights the ruthlessness and ambition, as well as the achievement. ( )
  jontseng | Jan 5, 2011 |
The Bridge may actually be ahead of its time. The events in it are so well-known right now that its scholarship may resonate better in 20 years, after Obama's presidency has truly become history. Future generations who haven't just lived through what it documents may find this book riveting. The Bridge, in short, may be like young wine -- requiring time for its value and quality to emerge in full force. Or, it may be like Obama's Nobel Peace Prize -- a massive achievement that has been issued, perhaps, prematurely.

If the outlines of the story told in “The Bridge” are highly familiar, Mr. Remnick has filled in those broad outlines with insight and nuance.

Remnick has written a near-definitive study of Obama from 1961 to 2009. If "The Bridge" fails in any regard, it's in recycling a lot of shopworn stories -- but this, of course, can't be helped.

David Remnickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Through extensive on-the-record interviews with friends and teachers, mentors and disparagers, family members and Obama himself, David Remnick demonstrates how a rootless, unaccomplished, and confused young man created himself first as a community organizer in Chicago, then as a Harvard Law School graduate, and finally as President of the United States. "By looking at Obama's political rise through the prism of our racial history, Remnick gives us the conflicting agendas of black politicians: the dilemmas of ... heroes of the civil rights movement who are forced to reassess old loyalties and understand the priorties of a new generation of African-American leaders. The Bridge revisits the American drama of race, from slavery to civil rights, and makes clear how Obama's quest is not just his own but is emblematic of a nation where destiny is defined by individuals keen to imagine a future that is different from the reality of their current lives."--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible