dismiss

Finders-Seekers by Gayle Greeno

Finders-Seekers (edition 1993)

by Gayle Greeno

Their technological resources destroyed, a colonizing expedition from Earth has been stranded on the world of Methuen for over two hundred years. Their continued survival is largely due to the organization of healers known as the Eumedicos and to the Seekers Veritas, a unique group composed of pairs of Bondmates, one human and one ghatti--a telepathic catlike being native to Methuen who bonds with a specific human for life. These Bondmates travel from town to town, settling disputes by truth-reading the minds and emotions of plaintiffs and defendants. While most people respect the Seekers, there are those who fear the ghatti powers. And now someone has begun attacking Seeker pairs. What no one knows is that this destroyer has targeted one specific pair of Bondmates as special victims--the woman Doyce and the ghatta Khar'pern. For the key to defeating this deadly foe is locked away in Doyce's mind behind barriers even her ghattas has never been able to break down.… (more)
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Finders-Seekers
Authors:Gayle Greeno
Info:New York, NY : DAW Books, c1993.
Collections:Your library, Boxed, Working on, BOMBs
Tags:__scanned, !Sale:FOAFL, Fic, SF, _BB_SF_06, _BB_SFBoxes

Finders-Seekers by Gayle Greeno

well written with a lot to like. I am struggling to connect with the main character, it feels like she has largely given up (I prefer fighting to the bitter end). For the series to work, she has to snap out of it at some point, but can I endure that long...
might return to finish the title as it is well written. ( )
  jason9292 | Aug 16, 2019 |
I'm quite happy to have started this book. Stricly speaking, it is fantasy, but it reminded me quite a bit of the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey (which are fantasy). Finders seekers is about human beings on a different planet, where there is a telepathic cat-like race, the ghatts, that bonds with certain humans. These humans become Seekers, since their relationship with the ghatts makes them suitable for a career as judge: the ghatts can tell whether people speak the truth or not. Finders Seekers follows Doyce and her ghatta Khar. Doyce has had a hard life, and it is about to become more difficult when her lover is murdered in a highly suspicious way. The seekers believe something sinister is going on, and an investigation ensues...

What I like about Finder Seekers is that not all information is disclosed to the reader all at once. Slowly, you find out more about the secrets and intricacies of the world. I rather liked this writing style, although in the middle of the book, I wouldn't have minded if the pace would have picked up a bit. The world is very nice, in particular the ghatts and their relationship with their Seekers. Because of her past, Doyce has some trouble completely opening up to her ghatta, and the more you learn of her past, the more you feel for her, and hope she will find happiness.

I'm not completely satisfied about the ending. One of the revelations was sort of obvious(Doyce's stepson Vesey being alive and responsible for all the misery), and the way some of the issues were resolved (Vesey and Evelien dying) seemed a bit too easy for me. Still, the book was quite nice, and I'm definitely interested in the sequels. Part of the story had an open ending, so I would like to know what happens next. Plus, I always like fantasy books where women and men are treated equally, which is definitely the case here. Seekers are men and women both, eumedico's (doctors) are men and women both, and nobody makes an issue about it. Very well done. ( )
  zjakkelien | Nov 27, 2013 |
It's an amusing (although hardly unique) concept and an entertaining plot line.
While I COULD put the book down, I had no problems finishing it. ( )
  dragonasbreath | Oct 31, 2011 |
This is one of those times when I look at the reviews on Amazon and have to double-check that we're talking about the same book. They were so universally positive that it almost made me want to go back and re-read the book to see if maybe I'd missed something. But it's a 500+ page book that I had to force myself to finish, so there's no way I'll be doing that.

On the world of Methuen, there's a sentient alien race called Ghatti, who look like oversized housecats. They can mind-speak among themselves, and bond and mind-speak with certain humans referred to as Seekers. A Seeker-Ghatt pair is able to discern truth, so they serve as something like circuit judges in the old west.

When a Seeker is killed and his Ghatt basically loses his mind, it's up to his friend and lover Doyce and her Ghatt Khar to solve the mystery.

There's really nothing new or exciting here. The Ghatts are just too precious, starting with the name. The concept was interesting--both the set-up with the bonded pairs and the mystery, and it did pick up once it was revealed whodunit, near the end, but it was just a chore to read.

I'm sure Finders, Seekers wouldn't have looked quite so dull if I hadn't read it right after Cursor's Fury, but it illustrates some of the comments I made--it's full of way too many characters with oddly-spelled names, and long passages of authorial intrusion--interminable descriptions of things the author wants the reader to know about the fantasy world.

Worse yet, too much of the narrative doesn't really have a point, and just bogs down the story. For example, we learn everything about Doyce's life history (in dreams, no less), and only a small portion of that has any bearing on what happens later.

This is the sort of book that made me stop reading fantasy in the first place. I just don't have the patience to sift through all the extraneous stuff to get to the story. Not my cuppa. ( )
  Darla | Nov 24, 2008 |
I do not find these 'great' but definately readable. The main charactor, I find to be self-centered to a fault and drowning in selfpity. She usually has all the answers available to her if she would just stop and think about it, but she seems to always wait until its blindingly obvious.

I'm interested in the story line. Space explorers/settlers come to colonize a planet a bunch of stuff happens and a small party leaves to find help. The rest learn to deal with things. Later on they find that there are 2 sentient races already on the planet. These books are mostly about the politics between a couple bands/nations of humans and the other 2 races. One a large breed of 'cat' seems to have created a symbiotic relationship with special humans. The other race has a tribe structure and are humanoid in apperance and generally avoid contact with others.

It's funny, I think in general the Cats are the better charactors. ( )
  readafew | Feb 20, 2007 |

Gayle Greenoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bralds, BraldtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Evryone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth"
- St, Matthew, 7:7-8
This book is dedicated to two people and one cat - to my parents, Doris L. and G. Alfred Greeno, for raising me with wit, wisdom, and a sense of wonder at the world around me, and to Tulip, for nineteen years, beloved feline, literary "mews".
The silver medallion with its eight faintly curved sides swayed from the chain around Vesey's neck, swung closer and closer to the baby's face as the boy leaned over Briony's cradle, his long, quick-bitten fingers trapping each side, halting the cradle's rocking.

Stranded on the world of Methuen for more than two hundred years, a colonizing expedition from Earth depends for their continued survival on the healing powers of the Eumedicos and the Seekers Veritas.
-----------
Their continued survival is largely due to the organization of healers known as the Eumedicaos and to the Seekers Veritas, a unique group composed of pairs of Bondmates, one human and one ghatti - a telepathic catlike being native to Methuen who bonds with a specific human for life. These Bondmates travel from town to town, settling disputes by truth-reading the minds and emotions of plaintiffs and defendants. while most people respect the seekers, there are those who fear the ghatti powers. And now someone has begun attacking Seeker pairs.

What no one knows is that this destroyer hs targeted one specific pair of Bondmates as special victims - the woman Doyce and the ghatta Kar'pern. For the key to defeating this deadly foe is locked away in Doyce's mind behind barriers even her ghatta has never been able to break down.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,926,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible