The Reversal by Michael Connelly

The Reversal (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Michael Connelly

Member:cmwoods_71
Title:The Reversal
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

The Reversal by Michael Connelly (2010)

English (77)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (80)
Bosch and Haller team up in this novel about a convicted murderer who has been granted a retrial after 24 years after new evidence comes to light. Yes, Haller is the prosecutor - an interesting twist. ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 24, 2017 |
longtime defense attorney, Mickey Haller, is convinced to join the other side and serve as the prosecutor when a court overturns the conviction of child killer Jason Jessup who has been in prison for 24 years. Some DNA found on the dead child's dress turns out wasn't from Jessup. The prosecution asks Haller to take charge of the case. Harry Bosch handles the investigation for Haller. They start to suspect this was not a one time thing for Haller. Jessup's attorney thinks he has a slam dunk and that the city will have to pay out big money, but Haller and Bosch come up with information and manage to blow up Jessup's case. Jessup turns on his own defense team. Luckily Bosch has figured out where he is hiding out. Pretty good book. I like Bosch and know he has a lot of other fans. I liked Haller.
  taurus27 | Mar 29, 2017 |
Just finished The Reversal... Odds on the best Crime and Mystery book that I have ever read. The Reversal chugged along without missing a beat... new material/clues were introduced at regular intervals and the ending was both surprising and plausible.

I had a bit of a problem starting the book, I think that was because I was starting this series in mid stream... but it rapidly turned into a page turner... There was one loose end that bugs me a little that was left unresolved...and that was the attorney that hired Mickey Haller in the first place and wanted to be in on every decision... what was his agenda? Maybe that will be revisited in another novel.

I have a lot of reading ahead of me now...nice to find a new author. ( )
  Lynxear | Mar 19, 2017 |
Connelly was, at one time, one of my favorite crime fiction writers. He wrote great police procedurals that were not only well-written but also exquisitely plotted and researched. That's not the case any more, as it appears he's now 'mailing it in'. It's not quite the disappointment as 9 Dragons, but as someone who has followed his career since the beginning, I know he can do a lot better.

This one places two of his best characters, Harry Bosch the cop and Mickey Haller the defense lawyer, together in a story about a killer who is being re-tried for his crime, the murder of a little girl. It's neither a police procedural nor a courtroom drama. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and the story is pretty interesting and moves at a good pace. The problem I have is with the number of logical holes, unlikely events, and the manner in which the conclusion comes about. I don't want to spoil the story, but it was all pretty unbelievable. I did like the tension between Bosch and Haller, but the fact the story was split between them sort of watered down their impact.

For someone just starting out with this author, if you liked this one you'll love his early work. If you didn't care much for The Reversal, still give his earlier stuff a chance. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
Entertaining, solid, i have some doubt about the end but... not the best of his books. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 1, 2016 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Flegenheimer, CeciliaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Owen, MarkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tettamanti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traverso, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shannon Byrne
with many thanks
The last time I had eaten at the Water Grill I sat across the table from a client who had coldly and calculatedly murdered his wife and her lover, shooting both of them in the face.

Longtime defense attorney Mickey Haller is recruited to change stripes and prosecute the high-profile retrial of a brutal child murder. After 24 years in prison, convicted killer Jason Jessup has been exonerated by new DNA evidence. Haller is convinced Jessup is guilty, and he takes the case on the condition that he gets to choose his investigator, LAPD Detective Harry Bosch.

With the odds and the evidence against them, Bosch and Haller must nail a sadistic killer once and for all. If Bosch is sure of anything, it is that Jason Jessup plans to kill again.

After 24 years in prison, convicted killer Jason Jessup has been exonerated by new DNA evidence. Longtime defense attorney Mickey Haller is convinced Jessup is guilty, and he takes the case on the condition that he gets to choose his investigator, LAPD Detective Harry Bosch. Together, Bosch and Haller set off on a case fraught with political and personal danger. Opposing them is Jessup, now out on bail, a defense attorney who excels at manipulating the media, and a runaway eyewitness reluctant to testify after so many years.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,763,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible