The Reversal by Michael Connelly

The Reversal (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Michael Connelly

Member:cmwoods_71
Title:The Reversal
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

The Reversal by Michael Connelly (2010)

2010 (15) 2011 (19) 2012 (10) audio (10) audiobook (15) California (14) crime (59) crime fiction (18) detective (15) ebook (31) fiction (125) hardcover (10) Harry Bosch (60) Kindle (22) lawyers (20) legal (10) legal thriller (32) Los Angeles (37) Michael Connelly (11) Mickey Haller (53) murder (19) mystery (132) mystery fiction (9) police (10) read (22) read in 2011 (8) series (16) suspense (14) thriller (52) to-read (26)

English (58)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (60)
Mickey Haller... for the People?!!
While I'm relatively new to the Lincoln Lawyer series, I already struggle as seeing Haller as anything but the Lincoln Lawyer (that includes the flash backs to his time as a PD in the previous book). But this worked. It was believable and I loved the teamwork between Haller, Bosch and Maggie McFierece, who I adore. The characters were all easily believable - with CLever Clive as slimy as Haller isn't.
I need to go read the Bosch series to fill in some of the holes in the history (his daughter, Halling) and apparently Michael Connelly is my summer reading project. However I already see signs three books in of this being a lot like Linda Fairstein/James Patterson in "who is threatening the heroes' lives as the books end"

The only thing I didn't care for with this book was the flipping between 1st and 3rd person. While I realized later that the 3rd person was Bosch, I found that confusing. ( )
  skinglist | Jun 15, 2014 |
I always enjoy reading Michael Connelly's novels, and The Reversal was no exception. I actually prefer the Harry Bosch novels, not being a big fan of first person narratives, so this was a good mix of Bosch and Haller, with alternating third and first person points of view.

REDonald | Apr 26, 2014 |
Not a review, per se, just my ramblings. The Reversal was my first Michael Connelly novel and I wasn't overly impressed. He's a competent writer, obviously, a perennial best seller with, it looks like, over 20 books published, but until a few months ago I'd never heard of him. Which only proves that you don't have reach everyone to sell millions of books. I was looking for a legal thriller and someone at B&N told me if I liked Grisham, then I'd like Connelly only better. Didn't happen. Connelly has too many vulgarities for me, the writing isn't as snappy as Grisham, and I caught a few writer faux pas. There was a head hop in one scene and a "little did I know" slip. No big deal, but I was surprised when they popped out at me.

As for the story itself, sorta plodding. Interesting legal stuff about a child murderer on death row being released to be re-tried (the "reversal" by the court), but not very suspenseful. The most exciting part was the last few chapters when finally something unexpected happened. I've heard that Connelly's Bosch novels are better...but this is a Bosch novel. The narrative alternates between first person Mickey Haller (evidently another of his ongoing characters) and third person Harry Bosch. I didn't mind the POV change, made for a change up in an otherwise forgettable story. ( )
  ResAliens | Feb 6, 2014 |
I remain not a big fan of the lawyer versions of Connelly's world. Harry does have a part in this but it is the court that dominates. It was an OK light read for me despite the subject matter. ( )
  infjsarah | Dec 14, 2013 |
This is such a great series, one of my favorites. Great to see Haller, Bosch and McFierce all working together, with Haller serving as independent prosecutor for this one. Lots of courtroom drama and action after-hours. I'd somehow managed to miss this one in the series before skipping to the next, but now I can't wait to start reading Gods of Guilt. ( )
1 vote she_climber | Nov 29, 2013 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flegenheimer, CeciliaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Owen, MarkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tettamanti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traverso, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shannon Byrne
with many thanks
The last time I had eaten at the Water Grill I sat across the table from a client who had coldly and calculatedly murdered his wife and her lover, shooting both of them in the face.

Longtime defense attorney Mickey Haller is recruited to change stripes and prosecute the high-profile retrial of a brutal child murder. After 24 years in prison, convicted killer Jason Jessup has been exonerated by new DNA evidence. Haller is convinced Jessup is guilty, and he takes the case on the condition that he gets to choose his investigator, LAPD Detective Harry Bosch.

With the odds and the evidence against them, Bosch and Haller must nail a sadistic killer once and for all. If Bosch is sure of anything, it is that Jason Jessup plans to kill again.

After 24 years in prison, convicted killer Jason Jessup has been exonerated by new DNA evidence. Longtime defense attorney Mickey Haller is convinced Jessup is guilty, and he takes the case on the condition that he gets to choose his investigator, LAPD Detective Harry Bosch. Together, Bosch and Haller set off on a case fraught with political and personal danger. Opposing them is Jessup, now out on bail, a defense attorney who excels at manipulating the media, and a runaway eyewitness reluctant to testify after so many years.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,485,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible