The Golden Age by Kenneth Grahame

The Golden Age (1895)

by Kenneth Grahame

The adventures of five brothers and sisters growing up in rural England in the late nineteenth century.

I thought this was a children's book but it was more a memoir of childhood but written perhaps as a child would think it. Completely charming, though bits if British Childhood remain mysterious.
  amyem58 | Apr 22, 2019 |
Author Kenneth Grahame also wrote "Winnie the Pooh" and "The Wind in the Willows". Illustrated by Earnest H. Shepard. "The Golden Age" set in the late 1800's "describes the fun of being outdoors, visitors and relatives who come to the house, childhood games of Roundheads and Royalists, King Arthur's Knights, bandits and damsels in distress, knights errant, soldiers and princesses and everything else that a group of high spirited children could devise out of their boundless imaginations." Source: LoyalBooks.com
  uufnn | Jun 30, 2018 |
A lovely blend of the reminiscences of Kenneth Grahame's own childhood experiences, fantasy, metaphor and ancient Greek Legends. I particularly enjoyed reading the chapter 'A white-washed Uncle'. ( )
  ReneePaule | Jan 23, 2018 |
Early edition with wonderful silhouettes and illustrations by Ernest Shepard.
  unclebob53703 | Feb 18, 2016 |
This is not a children's book; the target audience is the adult in us who remembers something of what it was like to be a child. Kenneth Grahame makes the everyday adventures and imaginary play of the narrator and his siblings seem idyllic.
The illustrations by Maxfield Parrish are done in black and white and I suspect that they would be lovely in color.

Some quotes I liked:

[In describing The Olympians--grownups---]:
Indeed, it was one of the most hopeless features in their character ... that, having absolute licence to indulge in the pleasures of life, they could get no good of it.... No irresistible Energy haled them to church o' Sundays; yet they went there regularly of their own accord, though they betrayed no greater delight in the experience than ourselves. [p. 4]

Time, the destroyer of all things beautiful, subsequently revealed the baselessness of these legends; but what of that? There are higher things than truth; ... "Alarums and Excursions" [p. 49]

Hither the yoke-shouldering village-fold were wont to come to fill their clinking buckets; when the drippings made worms of wet in the thick dust of the road. They had flat wooden crosses inside each pail, which floated to the top and (we were instructed) served to prevent the water from slopping over. We used to wonder by what magic this strange principle worked, and who first invented the crosses, and whether he got a peerage for it. "Finding the Princess" [p. 56]
[Googling found this quote about wells: "Some buckets had a hoop with a wooden cross placed on top of the water in the bucket to prevent spillage." [p.35] at http://www.redlynchparishcouncil.org/Wells%20and%20Springs.pdf]

"These stories had their origins, my dear," [their governess] explained, "in a mistaken anthropomorphism in the interpretation of nature. But though we are now too well informed to fall into similar errors, there are still many beautiful lessons to be learned from these myths ---" "Snowbound" [p.124] ( )
  raizel | Nov 16, 2015 |

Kenneth Grahameprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parrish, MaxfieldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parrish, MaxfieldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shepard, Ernest H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Looking back to those days of old, ere the gate shut behind me, I can see now that to children with a proper equipment of parents these things would have worn a different aspect.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,680,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible