Breathless by Anne Swärd

Breathless

by Anne Swärd

English (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (5)
I think I am giving up on this. It is awful.
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I received Breathless as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

Lo and Lukas meet when she is six and he thirteen after a fire threatens their village. Their friendship-relationship (usually against the wishes of Lo's family) is the basis for the book, which occasionally provides fast-forwards to Lo's future travels and escapades.

Sward's prose is beautiful and lyrical, but I agree with the other reviewers that the structure of the book makes it hard to follow. I was constantly having to try and figure out when and where in the narrative I was, which took me out of the story. Also, the "friendship" between Lo and Lukas did make me uncomfortable at times, and while I think the characters were three-dimensional and interesting, I didn't always understand their characterizations or motivations. All in all, I think I was at a disadvantage not being familiar with the "culture" of 1970s-1980s Sweden, where the bulk of the novel takes place.

Still an interesting read, though, particularly for fans of coming-of-age novels. ( )
  ceg045 | Feb 19, 2014 |
Längta tillbaka. Det verkar så konstigt, bara, att samma ord, längta, används både för att vilja bort och hem. (s.181)
(...) svaga människor är de farligaste, de drar ner en, starka människor kan man slå sig fri ifrån men de svaga kryper under huden på en. (s.207)

Follows the secret friendship of young Lo and Lukas, who bond over a mutual love for a favorite film and whose relationship is destroyed by a mystery that unfolds throughout Lo's travels from Berlin to Copenhagen and New York.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible