Mary Ann in Autumn by Armistead Maupin

Mary Ann in Autumn

by Armistead Maupin

Series: Tales of the City (8)

English (49)  German (1)  All (50)
Not my cup of tea. This book might be liked by the middle age readers. ( )
  jack2410 | Feb 2, 2017 |
A satisfying ending to a great series. Sigh of happiness. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Would normally be a 3 star book but I'm giving it 4 since I read it while in San Francisco. ( )
  euroclewis | Jun 8, 2016 |
Sigh. (That was a sigh of contentment). Picking up this Tale of the City was like bumping into an old friend I forgot I ever had. I fell in love with this series by Armistead Maupin over 20 years ago, and it was delicious to be reunited with some beloved characters after many years apart. The beauty of this tale is its naturalness-- the characters have all moved into middle age (which I also approach, slowly but surely), and for the most part they are settled, but somehow they always manage to have a little drama, just like all of us. In this case, both fortunately and unfortunately, the ultimate climax was more dramatic than anyone could hope to deal with in our everyday lives, and in fact it was the culmination of a story that started decades ago. I think there is still one (last?) book in the series I haven't yet read, and I look forward to it eagerly and a little wistfully, knowing I might be saying goodbye to that old friend forever. I guess that's the beauty of fiction, though: we can always go back and start over from the beginning. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
More of the same (this is the 8th Tales of the City story) and wonderful it is too!
Start at the beginning, not with this one, but for those of us who have read so far, it was a beautifully crafted, if predictable, story. ( )
  CarltonC | May 2, 2015 |

Armistead Maupinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Albaret-Maatsch, MichèleTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kulick, GreggCover art and designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruoto, WilliamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We shall not cease from exploration

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time.

--T. S. Eliot
For Laura Linney
There should be a rabbit hole was what she was thinking.

After suffering personal calamities in New York, Mary Ann Singleton moves back to San Francisco after being gone for twenty years and begins to slowly rebuild her life, only to confront fresh terrors when her past comes back to haunt her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible