Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Hand of Oberon by Roger Zelazny

The Hand of Oberon (1976)

by Roger Zelazny

English (22)  French (2)  All languages (24)
If you've come this far with this gang of Machiavellian misfits, you obviously like the books. Volume 4 holds the reader's attention by making the plot of the series more complicated--if that is even possible. Zelazny does offer the reader a much-needed recap of the first three books, as well as something more important: an explanation of why the characters don't simply just live in any Shadow of their own design. "I never enjoy meeting people who remind me of other people," Corwin explains. "Personality is the one thing we cannot control in our manipulations of Shadow. In fact, it is the means by which we can tell one another from shadows of ourselves." In other words, once you know what reality is really like--once you are "attuned" to it, as the characters all say about Corwin and the Jewel of Judgment--you notice all the imperfections in any Shadow. The old song that claimed "Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby" applies here. One can't pretend that Subway is as good as Tastee Subs. Cubic zirconia is not the same as a diamond.

Of course, the reader, being Shadow-bound, cannot wholly appreciate this, never having seen Amber. All we know is our Shadow existence.

Zelazny keeps up the fun of the plotting, but also raises issues more primal: the idea of the black road, the mark of sacrifice on the primal pattern, seems like something sprung from the collective unconscious. A sin and a curse that mark a family through time and space is an archetype to which readers readily respond. At least this one did. As I've said in other reviews, I'm rereading these since I first read them in high school thirty years ago, so everything I write is glazed over with nostalgia. But they still hold up as page-turners, and unpretentious ones to boot. I'm looking forward to rereading Volume 5. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
later ( )
  EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
Oberon, long thought dead, is shown to be alive and orchestrating everything to date, all to save Amber from complete destruction at the Hands of the Courts of Chaos. Amber is NOT the ultimate Reality, but simply the First Shadow. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This fourth book in the Chronicles of Amber series is stellar! ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
The Amberites have to put one of the brothers down. The fourth Amber novel, and, I think the last time read an Amber book. RZ has fallen a long way from his first two hits, and I found myself delaying the finish, to read the "Morte D'Arthur" aloud to my kids. That's the kind of geek I am, but the book's only for hard core completists. Happy New Year's 1977! ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 27, 2015 |

Zelazny, Rogerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jay Haldeman,
of fellowship and artichokes.
A bright flash of insight, to match that peculiar sun...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380016648, Mass Market Paperback)

Returning to Shadow Earth to investigate a threat against his life, Corwin discovers that the Jewel of Judgment has been stolen by his traitorous brother, Brand, who plans to use the enigmatic gem to reshape the universe. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:22 -0400)

Corwin and the remaining princes of Amber must call upon all their superhuman powers to defeat their brother-turned-traitor before he can remake the universe in his own image.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,503,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible