Lords of the North: A Novel (Saxon…

Lords of the North: A Novel (Saxon Chronicles #3) (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Bernard Cornwell

Member:kenglidden
Title:Lords of the North: A Novel (Saxon Chronicles #3)
Authors:Bernard Cornwell
Info:Harper Perennial (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:2012-11-26

The Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell (2006)

Recently added byorioc22, Andrew-theQM, private library, bichet, alexbolding, hodgenet, Bayardsans, seth.wilhoite

English (29)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (33)
The third book in Cornwell's Saxon series, this is my favorite one so far. Uhtred has escaped King Alfred's clutches only to be betrayed and sold into slavery. After he gets free, thanks to King Alfred, he joins forces with the Kings of the North to avenge past wrongs. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Cornwell is predictably unpredictable! The novel moves at a steady pace but there are plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader turning the page! For sure I will be reading the next book in the series before very long! These books are taking me about two days each to read through. Grand fun! ( )
  kukulaj | Dec 26, 2015 |
In this installment of the 'Saxon Stories', we are finally introduced to the craziness and insanity that is Northumbria. While the first two books were great in their development of Uhtred's story, this is where the main story arc across the main series really gets going. Bernard Cornwell has a habit of playing mind games, and forces his readers to understand that no character, however noble, always makes good decisions. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
Third in the Saxon Stories set in the 9th century Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Wessex and Northumbria. It is 878 and Uthred of Bebbanburg is heading north. He has helped the Saxons of Wessex defeat the invading Danes but his help has been mostly unacknowledged by King Alfred so is setting off to help sort out some old business. I haven't managed to find copies of the earlier books in the series yet but this was okay so I might read them in future. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Jan 3, 2015 |
This whole series has been amazing so far! I have been listening to the audio books, this may not be the wisest move depending on the price of gas in your area. The battle scenes are so captivating I find myself sitting in the car at my destination unable to pry myself away until I find out who Uhtred has slain and what inventive insults have been thrown about the bloody place! ( )
  bookymouse | Nov 13, 2014 |

Bernard Cornwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cornwell, Bernardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
...Com on wanre niht scriõan sceadugenga

Saindo das noites lívidas desliza o caminhante das sombras

Beowulf
For Ed Breslin
I wanted darkness.
Fate is inexorable.

The year is 878. Uhtred, the dispossessed son of a Northumbrian lord, has helped the Saxons of Wessex defeat the invading Danes. Now, finally free of his allegiance to the victorious, ungrateful King Alfred, he is heading home to rescue his stepsister, a prisoner of Kjartan the Cruel in the formidable Danish stronghold of Dunholm. Uhtred's best hope is his sword, Serpent-Breath, for his only allies are Hild, a West Saxon nun fleeing her calling, and Guthred, a slave who believes himself king. Rebellion, chaos, fear, and betrayal await them in the north, forcing Uhtred to turn once more, reluctantly, to the liege he formerly served in battle and blood: Alfred the Great.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:56 -0400)

Returning to his northern home, Uhtred of Bebbanburg finds himself caught up in the takeover crusade of a self-proclaimed ruler of Northumbria, a situation that culminates in a midnight siege on a seemingly impregnable city.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,842,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible