Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie

Maybe This Time (edition 2011)

by Jennifer Crusie

Member:misura
Title:Maybe This Time
Authors:Jennifer Crusie
Info:St. Martin's Press (2011), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Rating:***1/2

Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Inspiration for Cruise's novel.
    Wild Ride by Jennifer Crusie (ksattler)
    ksattler: Both books share Crusie's wit and humor and have elements of the supernatural and romance.
Ghosts (76)

English (85)  Piratical (1)  All languages (86)
relationships, ghosts, Ohio, mystery, humor, children

I love almost everything written by Jennifer Crusie, and this one is a little crazier than most. It has romance, nasty ghosts, frightened kids, a nutsy mother in law and an even nuttier mother, a convenient but clueless fiancé, and two people who still love each other and are learning to communicate. And LOTS of humor! And almost all of this madness happens in a very weird house that was brought over from England and reassembled in rural southern Ohio. No spoilers here, just go ahead and enjoy!
The audiobook is very well narrated by Angela Dawe. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Mar 8, 2017 |
I listened to this as an audiobook. Frankly, I don't know if I would've enjoyed it as much as a print book, because there were an awful lot of "ands" throughout the book, which flowed fine as spoken by the narrator. The characters were fun, but the setting/plot was a LOT of fun. This would be a great book to listen to during October. I liked the ghosts, and the kids were decent (normally I don't like kids in books - they often seem like "extras"). Andi was described as almost flower-childy in her physical description, which was a bit of a turnoff. She didn't come across that way - instead, she seemed like a strong, intelligent, independent woman.

If you're looking for a not-your-typical romance, and if you're okay with paranormal, you would likely enjoy this book.
  LLRobinett | Jan 29, 2017 |
I freely chose to review this book and was delighted to discover this unknown to me author, I will definitely look for more of her books! Andie Miller intended to be done with North for good and ten years of walking out of their marriage, she intended to give him back the alimony checks and start a new life with her new husband, but North tripped her guilty card and now she was heading south to the boonies....

North Archer needed Andie to go to the southern part of the state to stay with two little kids that had so much death in their lives since he was given custody. Three nannies had already quit on him from the children's antics and he played the sympathy card to get his ex-wife to agree to a one month trial. ( )
  Linda.Bass | Nov 15, 2016 |
Andromeda "Andie" Miller has met the man perfect for her and is almost ready to accept easygoing Will's marriage proposal. She just has a couple loose ends to tie up, one being her ex-husband, North Archer. The story starts with Andie meeting with North so she can return all the alimony checks he sent and which she never cashed. It's Andie's way of closing the door on their relationship. He reluctantly agrees to take back the checks, but impulsively asks Andie to do him a favor.

He needs her to care for two young relatives of whom he is now legal guardian. He sweetens the deal by offering her enough money to pay off her debt as well as pay for her upcoming wedding. All she has to do is postpone her wedding plans for a month or so, and ultimately figure out how to rid the children's current home of pesky ghosts which are rumored to have haunted the house for over 100 years. Of course, there is no such thing as ghosts...

I was actually disappointed in this book. I keep hearing how funny Crusie's books are, and I even put this book on my wishlist a while ago in response to a favorable review which intrigued me. I didn't like the heroine at all. In instances that I think were supposed to be funny, I found she was incredibly insensitive and rude to people. I found a lot of the characters very likable, including North, little Alice and Carter, and Dennis the "ghost expert". I just didn't believe that a bond could exist between any of these people with the limited and unsentimental interactions they had.

The ghost story picked up near the end, and I did like how Andie and North finally resolved issues they held in dispute over the years. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Sep 5, 2015 |
I laughed my way (in a good way) through the majority of this book. Very enjoyable. I barely noticed that the s.e.x. doesn't start until page 273. :) ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |

Crusie, Jenniferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kornbichler, EvaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Gelder, Cheriesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Sarah and Cecilia
who want cereal for breakfast every day
and who fill those days with joy.
Andie Miller sat in the reception room of her ex-husband's law office, holding on to ten years of uncashed alimony checks and a lot of unresolved rage.

Andie Miller is ready to move on with her life. She wants to marry her fiancé and leave behind everything in her past, especially her ex-husband, North Archer. But when Andie tries to gain closure with him, he asks one final favor of her. A distant cousin has died and left North the guardian of two orphans who have driven away three nannies already—and things are getting worse. He needs someone to take care of the situation, and he knows Andie can handle anything.

When Andie meets the two children, she soon realizes it’s much worse than she feared. Carter and Alice aren’t your average delinquents, and the creepy old house where they live is being run by the worst housekeeper since Mrs. Danvers. Complicating matters is Andie’s fiancé’s suspicion that this is all a plan by North to get Andie back. He may be right because Andie’s dreams have been haunted by North since she arrived at the old house. And that’s not the only haunting.

Then her ex-brother-in-law arrives with a duplicitous journalist and a self-doubting parapsychologist, closely followed by an annoyed medium, Andie’s tarot card–reading mother, her avenging ex-mother-in-law, and her jealous fiancé. Just when Andie’s sure things couldn’t get more complicated, North arrives to make her wonder if maybe this time things could just turn out differently.

Filled with her trademark wit, unforgettable characters, and laugh-out-loud scenarios, Maybe This Time shows why Jennifer Crusie is one of the most beloved storytellers of our time.

North Archer, Andie Miller's ex-husband, asks her to become the guardian of two orphans who have driven out three nannies already--and live in a haunted house! What follows is a hilarious adventure in exorcism, including a self-doubting parapsychologist, an annoyed medium, her Tarot-card reading mother, an avenging ex-mother-in-law, and, of course, her jealous fiance. And just when Andie thinks things couldn't get more complicated, North shows up on the doorstep making her wonder if "maybe this time" things could be different between them.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jennifer Crusie's book Maybe This Time was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,515,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible