The Glass Rainbow by James Lee Burke

The Glass Rainbow (2010)

by James Lee Burke

Series: Dave Robicheaux (18)

The Glass Rainbow represent further proof that James Lee Burke is one of the best writers working in the English language and that genre fiction can be the equal of anything the so-called literary establishment can produce. Whilst not quite the equal of "The Tin Roof Blowdown" or "In The Electric Mists...", this is a great read, thrilling and involving from beginning to end, but never once losing the connection to the serious issue Burke wants us to think about. Dave, Molly, Alafair, Clete and Helen feature throughout the book alongside some heavy duty villains and the usual crew of interesting minor characters. The plot is complex, but never too much so, and the pacing of the book is excellent. As always I end up being more than satisfied by a Burke book, with a lot of think about. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
Dave Robicheaux is on the trail of a serial killer, while trying to protect his daughter from a boyfriend with a dark side, in the latest in James Lee Burke's classic series.
  Annabel1954 | May 11, 2015 |
"It has been my experience that most human stories are circular rather than linear."

Dave Robicheaux is made aware of the deaths of several girls in his and neighboring parishes of Louisiana, and much to his bosses chagrin, he begins to poke around outside his jurisdiction. His daughter’s new boyfriend is a famous author, hoping to help her with her novel, as one of his friends, a criminal turned famous author. When connections from a small-time pimp to the criminal author keeps surfacing Dave provokes his daughter's ire as well as his own curiosity. Things begin to get a little too contrived for his liking, as his life and his daughter’s lives wind closer and closer to the deaths of those girls. In the end, only being prepared for anything is what can save them.

Filled with fantastic descriptions of character and landscape, Burke fills his book with exposition about history and personal lives as well as anecdotes about dialect and politics. Far from tiresome, and apparently as good a place as any for the newcomer to jump in, I listened to this book while commuting, while cleaning, while lounging - never tiring of Will Patton’s accents and voices for the myriad of unfortunates who caught the eye of Burke’s sober detective. It was easy to separate the goons from one another, and the poor souls ensnared in the beckoning lie of a better life. The disillusion that our narrator sees is paralleled in the fallen plantation empires and the failure of dreams and unsavory endings that befall so many in his scope. Keeping his own family from being pulled under is all there seems left for Dave to do, even as he runs around, solving other crimes.

It is well known amongst fans of James Lee Burke that his characters are flawed souls, complete with demons and friends who dog them, and his descriptions of the Louisiana Bayou are replete with unforgiving details of history. Despite the headaches that Dave Robicheaux and Clete Purcell get themselves into, they come back for more, like the main character of a Tom Cruise movie. That the ending is often an unbelievable twist of evil plots and blazing gunfire that they somehow survive completely caught me by surprise that has become familiar to old fans. But, as they’re back in Creole Belle, the next book, this isn’t one to be puzzled over too long. Enjoy it for what it is, or give it a miss.

Dave Robicheaux #18.

(Read/Skim/Miss) (Buy/Borrow)
15:07. Simon & Shuster. 13 July 2010. ( )
  knotbox | Dec 1, 2014 |
Detective Dave Robicheaux is embroiled in the most harrowing and dangerous case of his career, seven young women in neighboring Jefferson Davis Parish have been brutally murdered. Clete Purcel, confront Herman Stanga, a notorious pimp and meth dealer, when Stanga turns up dead shortly after a fierce beating by Purcel, in front of numerious witnesses. Dave's daughter, Alafair, on leave from Stanford Law to put the finishing touches on her novel. Her literary pursuit has led her into the arms of Kermit Abeland, a celebrated novilist and his association with bestselling ex-convict author Robert Weingart, a man who uses and discards people like Kleenex. Causes Dave to fear that Alafair might be destroyed by the man she loves. ( )
  Gatorhater | Jun 25, 2013 |
Everything I want from James Lee Burke and this series and even more. ( )
  witchyrichy | Jun 3, 2013 |

James Lee Burkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lyng, HildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my cousins, Alafair Kane, Charlotte, Elrod, Karen McRae, and Mary Murdy
The room I had rented in an old part of Natchez seemed more reflective of New Orleans than a river town in Mississippi.
I know the dead are out there, beckoning from the shadows, perhaps pointing the way for the rest of us. But I don't fear them, and I conceive of them as friends whom I don't think I'll mind joining. It's not a bad way to be. page 216

Beloved Burke hero Detective Dave Robicheaux returns to New Iberia to solve a series of grisly murders.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,578,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible