Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

by Morgan Matson

North Of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another moving story of love, family and growth -- and is also young adult fiction!

aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
This book was amazing, one of those books that you feel like your traveling with them, through all the adventures they're having this feeling is increased with the small photos and playlists that are included through out the book. The characters were easy to relate to, especially Amy I found myself sympathizing for her and wanted to know more about her past. The character development through out the book was brilliant especially Amy's who started out as a shy girl who didn't want to meet people and through out the book you see her growth. Even though Amy and Roger were together through the book it is not centered on their relationship as much as it is their growth as people. This book is a fun summer read that shows a girl figuring her life out after tragedy hits. Before I knew it the book was over, I really enjoyed this contemporary but it could have been a bit longer I wanted to see what happened next.

Favorite quote

“The best discoveries always happened to the people who weren't looking for them.” ( )
  kit_kat227 | Jul 9, 2014 |
Dos jóvenes se ven envueltos en un viaje donde descubrirán el camino a la sanación emocional, complementado con una genial banda sonora que será, a la vez, protagonista de la historia. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
I read this last summer and thought it was really good. I don't know why but I love books about road trips. The plot was predictable but I didn't care. A couple months after I read this from the library, I knew I had to buy it. I went to Barnes & Noble and bought it. It is a cute summer book. I recommend it. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
Amy's father has just passed away in a tragic accident and for the past few months following his death, she has become a former shell of herself. Her mother is distant and moves to a new state to get away from the memories of her beloved husband and leaves her teenage daughter behind to help sell their old house. But her mother needs her car so she prints Amy a driving route and tells her daughter that Roger, Amy's long forgotten child-hood friend, will be road-tripping with her most of the way to bring the car to her mom. Amy doesn't want anything to do with people at all but she is forced to go along with this road trip. She has always been the good daughter and done as she was told, quite opposite of her twin brother who has always been a mess. Saying no to her mom is impossible if she's going to keep her perfect daughter reputation. Things are awkward at first with the smoky hot Roger but slowly and surely they start to become easy friends. From the get-go, they change the route. Amy's mom came up with the most boring road trip route so they decide to have a little fun. Amy can tell Roger is hiding something as well and as the story unravels, they find that things that bother them the most are nothing that they can't face together. It was a beautiful story and I cannot wait to read more by Morgan Matson. Plus this book has ALL kinds of extras: road maps, receipts of food purchased, music lists, and the cover is so pretty. The publisher did an amazing job on this book! ( )
  KatieHeflin | Jun 22, 2014 |
I sat on the front steps of my house and watched the beige Subaru station wagon swing too quickly around the cul-de-sac.

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

After the death of her father, Amy, a high school student, and Roger, a college freshman, set out on a carefully planned road trip from California to Connecticut, but wind up taking many detours, forcing Amy to face her worst fears and come to terms with her grief and guilt.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,980,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible