Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

by Morgan Matson

Recently added byohbookish, private library, melanielost, beearedee, Aly_Locatelli, bellareads, wegc
    North Of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another moving story of love, family and growth -- and is also young adult fiction!

I was really surprised with this book. I never thought I would loved it this much. Now I want to do a road trip more than before. The story of this book is amazing. I end up crying and everything. It's beautiful. ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
Read reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

“Tomorrow will be better.”
“But what if it’s not?” I asked.
“Then you say it again tomorrow. Because it might be. You never know, right? At some point, tomorrow will be better."

Against my better judgement, I've decided to give this book 3.5 stars rather than the 2 I'd originally planned on.

The thing is... I really liked this book! I know, I know I complained about it loads in my status updates, but that's because I try and try to like Matson's MCs and it never happens. They're always very shallow, selfish and act like victims, which I can't stand in RL let alone in a book.

You see, my dad is my best friend. We're incredibly close and I can't see my life without him. He knows everything about me, stuff that I can't even tell my mum and I trust him with my life. So maybe it's because Matson likes to kill off the fathers in her books, or maybe because the subject of losing a dad brings my worst fears to life, but I struggle a lot with the way the MCs act.

Admittedly, [b:Amy and Roger's Epic Detour|7664334|Amy and Roger's Epic Detour|Morgan Matson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327989202s/7664334.jpg|10261814] isn't what I expected. In fact, I'm not sure what I expected, but the overall book wasn't too bad and I really liked Roger's characters -- his breakup with Hadley obviously affected him and he was very open about it. Whereas Amy was incredibly cryptic (or tried to be) about the car accident, even though it was glaringly obvious from the beginning what happened.

I love a good road trip book and it was executed perfectly, especially the little snapshots of Amy's scrapbook which included things like receipts, tickets, a details playlist for each city they went to etc.

And there was no insta-love. I didn't understand the romance in the book considering it comes so late and it's not really "romance" but it was incredibly refreshing not reading about how much Amy and Roger suddenly love each other. It was sweet, short and left a lot to the imagination, which sometimes is the best thing.

I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
It has been three months since Amy Curry, 17, lost her beloved father in a car accident. Amy was driving, and feels like it was all her fault. She now refuses to drive. Her mother has decided to move from California to Connecticut, and left Amy behind to finish out the remaining month of the school year while she sets up the house. Amy is alone at the house, since her twin brother Charlie is now in a drug rehab facility in North Carolina.

Since Amy has to get herself and the car to Connecticut and she won’t drive, her mother enlists the son of an old family friend to drive her. Roger Sullivan, 19, is a freshman in college in Colorado, but needs to get to Philadelphia to spend the summer with his father. When Roger (who is much cuter than Amy remembers) arrives and sees the boring itinerary Amy’s mother has prepared, he seems disappointed. Amy is so relieved he wasn’t disappointed in her that she suggests they just go their own way: “As long as we’re there in four days, does it really matter which way we go?” Roger is delighted, and they set out to see places they always wanted to go.

They also schedule a few stops that have emotional import for them; Amy wants to go places that her father loved, and Roger wants to chase after a girl he likes who broke up with him.

Pretty soon they are off on a fantastic road trip, the details of which are interspersed with mixed media entries from Amy’s scrapbook: notes, doodles, map pages, receipts, playlists, and state trivia. As a result of spending all day and all night together, Amy and Roger get to know each other very well; help each other deal with the heartbreaks they have suffered; and work together to map out plans for better futures.

Evaluation: This is just a wonderful story. Amy’s grief is palpable, but not in a way that drags down the upbeat mood of the story. The road trip details are not only fun and interesting, but will have you salivating to make such a trip yourself. And the friendships made and romance found along the way are just perfect. A great read for all ages! ( )
  nbmars | Dec 16, 2014 |
Most of you know two things about me by now: (1) I do like young adult chick litAmyAndRoger (OK, romance!) and (2) I feel compelled to seek out independent bookstores wherever I am and buy something. The problem with working in a library and also reviewing books for library journals is that I have most of the books that I want at my fingertips.

So, when I found myself in Northshire Books in Saratoga Springs this past week it was tough finding a book I wanted to buy. (As an aside, Northshire Books is a great bookstore. Two levels, the upper level children’s and young adult. I could have browsed there for hours…actually I did, on two separate occasions.)

SecondChanceSummerMy purchase, however, finally ended up being Morgan Matson’s debut novel Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, her other books being Second Chance Summer and Since You’ve Been Gone. Although I have a long history reading and loving Sarah Dessen’s books, Ms. Matson is certainly moving up the ladder and is challenging Ms. Dessen for the top YA Chick Lit spot.

In March, Amy was driving and involved in an accident. Her father was in the passenger seat and was killed. Rather than rallying around each other, her mother and twin brother, Charlie, seemed to withdraw into themselves, not talking at all about what happened. What was worse was that she was her father’s favorite. They shared so much and suddenly he was gone.

In an abrupt move, Amy’s mother, a college professor took a job across the country in Connecticut. She left in May after putting their California home on the market, leaving Amy alone in California to finish school and then drive their car to the East Coast. However, since Amy stopped driving after the accident, her mother recruited Roger, a friend’s son to drive with Amy as passenger. Amy, Charlie and Roger used to play together eons ago.SinceYouveBeenGone

Amy needs to get to Connecticut but Roger has an ulterior motive for taking the cross country trip. While Amy’s mother has plotted out a 4 day route, made motel reservations and everything, Amy and Roger decide it might be worth it to take a ‘road trip’. I’m sure you can guess the ending, but in this particular case, the journey (no pun intended) is delightful. Ms. Matson’s inclusion of Playlists, photos, receipts, drawings and more just add to the enjoyment. In an afterward, she mentions that she is a road trip fan and actually took the trip about which she is writing.

By the way, my favorite character is Bronwyn, who plays a small but pivotal role. She a combination of southern hospitality and wisdom.

I’d suggest that Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour is a great beach read, but while it is 60+ degrees out (in November), I’m not sure if it’s beach weather. So, instead, settle down on the couch, get a drink of some sort, fluff up the pillow and meander through Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Nov 12, 2014 |
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
I sat on the front steps of my house and watched the beige Subaru station wagon swing too quickly around the cul-de-sac.

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

After the death of her father, Amy, a high school student, and Roger, a college freshman, set out on a carefully planned road trip from California to Connecticut, but wind up taking many detours, forcing Amy to face her worst fears and come to terms with her grief and guilt.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,749,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible