My name is Victoria : the extraordinary…

My name is Victoria : the extraordinary story of one woman's struggle to… (2009)

by Victoria Donda

27None402,159 (3.83)None

No reviews
In the mid-1960s, hardly anyone in Argentina could have imagined that the following decade would be the bloodiest and most barbaric in the country's history. (Foreword)
All my life I was called Analía, the name that appears on my national identity card and birth certificate. (Introduction)
The first time I saw her, I thought I was looking at an ID photo, one of those official pictures that turn out horrible no matter what you do.
No human society is exempt from injustice. Over the course of centuries, history has inured us to the idea that the suffering of others, of our neighbors, or of strangers, is necessary in order to consolidate a nation, define its borders, and crown it in glory. [...] Like every other country onthe planet, Argentina owes its existence to unspeakable horrors that are often forgotten. (foreword by Alberto Manguel, pp. ix-x)
"Originally published in Spanish as Mi nombre es Victoria by Editorial Sudamericana, S.A., 2009."

Argentina’s coup d’état in 1976 led to one of the bloodiest dictatorships in its history—thirty thousand people were abducted, tortured, and subsequently “disappeared.” And hundreds of babies born to pregnant political prisoners were stolen from their doomed mothers and “given” to families with military ties or who were collaborators of the regime. Analía was one of these children, raised without suspecting that she was adopted. At twenty seven, she learned that her name wasn’t what she believed it to be, that her parents weren’t her real parents, and that the farce conceived by the dictatorship had managed to survive through more than two decades of democracy.

In My Name is Victoria, it is no longer Analía, but Victoria who tells us her story, in her own words: the life of a young and thriving middleclass woman from the outskirts of Buenos Aires with strong political convictions. Growing up, she thought she was the black sheep of the family with ideas diametrically opposed to her parents’. It wasn’t until she discovered the truth about her origins and the shocking revelation of her uncle’s involvement in her parents’ murder and in her kidnapping and adoption that she was able to fully embrace her legacy. Today, as the youngest member of congress in Argentina, she has reclaimed her identity and her real name: Victoria Donda. This is Victoria’s story, from the moment her parents were abducted to the day she was elected to parliament.

"Argentina ?s coup d ??tat in 1976 led to one of the bloodiest dictatorships in its history - thirty thousand people were abducted, tortured, and subsequently 'disappeared.' And hundreds of babies born to pregnant political prisoners were stolen from their doomed mothers and 'given' to families with military ties or who were collaborators of the regime. Anal?a was one of these children, raised without suspecting that she was adopted. At twenty seven, she learned that her name wasn ?t what she believed it to be, that her parents weren ?t her real parents, and that the farce conceived by the dictatorship had managed to survive through more than two decades of democracy. In My Name is Victoria, it is no longer Anal?a, but Victoria who tells us her story, in her own words: the life of a young and thriving middleclass woman from the outskirts of Buenos Aires with strong political convictions. Growing up, she thought she was the black sheep of the family with ideas diametrically opposed to her parents ?. It wasn ?t until she discovered the truth about her origins and the shocking revelation of her uncle ?s involvement in her parents ? murder and in her kidnapping and adoption that she was able to fully embrace her legacy. Today, as the youngest member of congress in Argentina, she has reclaimed her identity and her real name: Victoria Donda. This is Victoria ?s story, from the moment her parents were abducted to the day she was elected to parliament."--Publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible