The Knight at Dawn by Mary Pope Osborne

The Knight at Dawn (1993)

by Mary Pope Osborne

Recently added byRachelAudrey, ablachly, RSSAA, private library, dmcwo, ohdrat, ltcl, sdjordan1, bairdschool

I finally got around to reading the first five books of the Magic Tree House series, and I have to say that these are perfect for my early chapter book readers. We’ve got a boy and a girl main character...check. We’ve got adventure and action...check. We’ve got readable text...check. What more could I ask for? ( )
  debnance | Jun 27, 2014 |
Book two down. Takes about 20-30 minutes to read. Very simply written and great for new chapter book readers. ( )
  weisser4 | Jun 3, 2014 |
I loved reading The Magic Treehouse series as an elementary school student, and as I read this book, I had flashbacks of reading it when I was younger. This is one of my favorite series and I really enjoyed reading this book again. One reason I liked this book is because of the different fonts used throughout the book, which made it visually appealing and interesting. There were three types of fonts used: one standard font for the actual text of the book, one font resembling handwriting from Jack’s notebook, and another font for the captions and blurbs from the book on knights and castles that Jack and Annie found. It helped to break up the text and make it more engaging for the reader. Another reason I liked this book is because of the suspenseful aspects incorporated into the plot, which were effective even for an older reader like me. For example, the knights chase Jack and Annie throughout the castle and Jack and Annie swim through a moat which may have crocodiles. I think the main idea of this story is to build intrigue for next adventure of Jack and Annie, as this book is part of a series and ends with a question about why the items in the treehouse have “M” written on them. I think another main idea of this text could be that adventures are waiting to happen all around you if you just take a chance. ( )
  apetru5 | Apr 23, 2014 |
Castles and knights in shining armor don't really find their way into my reading material often -- and they did not when I was a child, either. Had the first Magic Tree House book not dealt with dinosaurs (a childhood favorite), I likely would not have picked up the series at all. Fortunately, one of the strengths of the Magic Tree House series is that it can concern subjects that a child may not have lent much thought to and make them exciting and intriguing, as well as an enjoyable part in the developing Magic Tree House mythos, of which we only get a very small taste of this early in the series.

Jack and Annie visit what appears to be the middle ages after finding a book on knights and wishing to see him for real. They get lost in a castle and discovered and do eventually get to meet their knight. It's a short, quick read, but legitimately exciting in several places and Jack and Annie's reactions to being transported into the past are as cute and funny as they were in the first book.

I thought the descriptions of the rooms in the castle were the most interesting and informative. I'd be interested in reading about how accurate of a depiction of a real medieval castle they were. The castle occupants were both curious and frightening, especially in how they treated the lost children. I enjoyed the aura of mystery surrounding the knight, and of course the ongoing mystery of the tree house itself. I'm eager to get to the next book. ( )
1 vote vombatiformes | Jan 12, 2014 |
Jack and Annie came back to the Magic house after they discover it yesterday. This time Annie picked up the castle book, she made a wish that they could see "the knight for real." They were traveled back in time to the castle. They exposed themselves and were in danger when the knight they saw from the book came to their rescue. When they got back home safely. Jack make the discovery that the M person who owned those book is the same M person he found the Medal in the Dinosaur land. He was curious to find out about this person. ( )
  thuvan0301 | Apr 16, 2013 |
For Nathaniel Pope
Jack couldn't sleep.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067982412X, Paperback)

Jack and Annie are ready for their next fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

A castle with a secret passage!

That's what Jack and Annie find when the Magic Tree House whisks them back to the Middle Ages for another wild adventure. In the Great Hall of the castle, a feast is under way. But Jack and Annie aren't exactly welcome guests!

Visit the Magic Tree House website!
MagicTreeHouse.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:43 -0400)

Eight-year-old Jack and his younger sister Annie use the magic treehouse to travel back to the Middle Ages, where they explore a castle and are helped by a mysterious knight.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,119,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible