The Cross Gardener by Jason F. Wright

The Cross Gardener (2010)

by Jason F. Wright

It's a poignant story about a man who loses a loved one and his subsequent journey toward healing and health. If you have lost a loved one, this book will help you process the pain as it is emotionally thought provoking and insightful. And it's a great mystery too! Why IS this man appearing repeatedly and where did he come from? I must admit, I was relieved at the ending that it was NOT what I thought and at the same time I was a bit disappointed in the denouement as I thought is was a bit shallow considering the topic - It's a 5 star book but the ending drops it to 4 stars! ( )
  flutelaura | May 1, 2013 |
This was book was such a disappointment, especially after The Seventeen Second Miracle. I found it to be over the top; his view of death doesn't even come close to my understanding of what the Bible says. ( )
  silva_44 | Oct 3, 2012 |
On the cover, Don Piper is quoted: "Fresh and spiritual". I would have said: "Predictable and sappy". But that is not necessarily a bad thing as I would have been saying it through the runny nose and streaming tears on the airplane with the other passengers looking at me like I had lost it. 'The Cross Gardener" is an exploration of loss, of grief, and of survival. It is christian fiction and, therefore, also an exploration of spirituality and God's role in the lives of believers and non-believers alike.

Unlike much of the christian literature I have read, 'The Cross Gardener' does not come off as some evangelical preacher's attempt to convert the reader. That doesn't mean that Jason Wright doesn't try and teach the reader - or perhaps better said - lead the reader to an understanding of his own personal beliefs using the novel as a vehicle. He does. But the religious tract does come off as more of an exploration than as Bible thumping.

The novel reminded me very much of 'A Walk to Remember' by Nicholas Sparks. Religious girl meets non-religious boy, they fall in love, their perfect life is torn apart by means beyond their control, life goes on. (there are no spoilers there. That much you could get from the back of the book.) Unlike 'A Walk to Remember', 'The Cross Gardener' follows the events following the tearing apart of the perfect life. I really loved how Mr. Wright focused on men, and especially on fathers and their influence on the lives around them.

Like I said, it is sappy and predictable - it is also lovely and emotional; sweet and naive with no edge. After reading the last page, wipe away the tears, heave a big sigh, smile a little and walk away with a heart that feels just a little lighter - right over to the man in your life and give him a well deserved hug. ( )
1 vote DanaBurgess | Jun 2, 2011 |
This book was a real tear jerker. I was sniffling and holding back tears while reading. It is a very touching story of one man's grief and how he dealt with it. If you need a good cry with a nice ending read this book. ( )
  ThePublicLibrary | Nov 1, 2010 |
This book was a real tear jerker. It was well written and captivates the audience. I recommend everyone to read this book. ( )
  Cottontail | Oct 27, 2010 |
To my father,
whom I pray will one day be
my own Cross Gardener.
I was born on the side of a two-lane Virginia highway at 1:21 A.M. on February 1, 1983.

Filled with sorrow over the fatal car accident of his wife and their unborn child, John Bevan erects a small cross near the scene of the accident and then withdraws from life and love. But when he encounters a young man kneeling before the cross, touching it up with white paint. John's conversations and travels with this mysterious man--known to him only as the Cross Gardener--forever change his world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible