God is in the Pancakes by Robin Epstein

God is in the Pancakes

by Robin Epstein

I found this surprisingly good, given all the praying that goes on... (and really, why was I surprised there was praying in a book with God in the title, hmmm?) I found the situation novel and affecting and not at all beyond the realm of possibility. I though Grace was very real, and her missteps on the road to love were achingly believable. The set-up with Mr. Sands was quite moving, albeit a bit "out there" in terms of probability. There was a lot going on in this book, and Epstein kept me involved right up to the end. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Grace Manning, 15, is a candy striper in a local nursing home, a gob she loves. Her favourite, Mr. Sands is the one patient who makes asks her to help him die. Stunted by this Grace says no, but as she see Mr. Sands’s disease progresses, she’s not so sure. Grace tries to avoid the decision by praying for a miracle, stuffing herself with pancakes and hiding the feelings she has for her best friend Eric. She meets Mr Sands wife and starts a friendship with her, finding out about the love she has for her husband. Will Grace come to the hardest decision of her life and help Mr Sands?
Even though the book has a Christian theme to it, it does not overshadow the book and is a lovely light romance read for teen girls. ( )
  Bellydancer | Apr 7, 2011 |
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

15-year-old Grace is having a hard time pulling her life together. Her sister's boyfriend is two-timing her and she wants to have sex with him; Grace's parents' divorce is taking a toll on the family; her father is trying to get in contact with her; and Grace's guy friend is kind of becoming a boyfriend.

It's no wonder that her job as a Candy Striper at Hanover House is something she enjoys so much. While there, she meets an older gentleman named Mr. Sands with Lou Gehrig's Disease. He teaches her to play poker and becomes like a surrogate father to her.

When her friend's health goes drastically downhill, Grace finds herself spending more and more time with Mr. Sands, as well as with his wife. When faced with a difficult request to help him die, Grace is aghast and uncertain of what to do. Will she get her life straightened out? Will she reconnect with her real father? Will she tell her sister that her boyfriend's cheating on her? What will Grace decide to do about Mr. Sands?

A touching story about a caring young woman who has some difficult situations to deal with in life. The characters are well-developed and likable. The plot is slower-paced but keeps you interested. Readers who like realistic fiction and heartwarming novels will enjoy reading GOD IS IN THE PANCAKES. ( )
  GeniusJen | Aug 19, 2010 |
This book really caught my attention. Grace is a believable teenage girl, who is struggling to make sense of the big questions in her life. And they really are challenging- she is dealing with her dad who left, a rocky relationship with her mother, and a special patient she works with asks her to help him end his life.

I love the repertoire between Mr Sands and Grace- it is awesome, and reminds me why I just love old people sometimes.

It forced me to think about what I would do in Grace's position and what I would want if I were in Mr Sands' position with a degenerative illness.

The romance is this book is simple and cute. It buds from best friends to a sweet relationship. But it is not a prominent feature, and sometimes that is refreshing. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Jul 28, 2010 |

Fifteen-year-old Grace Manning is a candy striper in a nursing home, and Mr. Sands is the one patient who makes the job bearable. He keeps up with her sarcasm, teaches her to play poker . . . and one day cheerfully asks her to help him die. At first Grace says no way, but as Mr. Sands?s disease progresses, she?s not so sure. Grace tries to avoid the wrenching decision by praying for a miracle, stuffing herself with pancakes, and running away from all feelings, including the new ones she has for her best friend Eric. But Mr. Sands is getting worse, and she can?t avoid him forever.

Robin Epstein has delivered an incredibly engaging, thought-provoking debut YA novel, with all the snappy dialogue and attitude of the movie Juno.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:20 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Grace, having turned her back on religion when her father left, now finds herself praying for help with her home and love life, and especially with whether she should help a beloved elderly friend die with dignity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,431,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible