The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (1971)

by Dr. Seuss

Series: The Lorax

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

Dr. Seuss sometimes wandered into the political arena, as with this treatment of damaged ecologies, endangered species, pollution, and the role of Big Business in contributing to these problems. The message of the Lorax seems even more relevant in these days of climate change and corporate greed. ( )
  burnit99 | Aug 17, 2014 |
This is classic Dr. Seuss and a good book to share with students about protecting the environment and asking when having enough is enough. The book also shows how different groups of people can live in harmony. This book also introduces the concept of activism.
  briandurr | Jun 4, 2014 |
The Lorax is a classic. It is my son's favorite little movie. So, I decided to read the book to him! He can't quite get it yet being so young but I definitely enjoyed it! The book is so cute, and the forest creatures loving trees is truly adorable. It has a realistic feel to it to me as well, because forest animals do need trees. I think its a great book for all ages! ( )
  CMJohnson | Apr 28, 2014 |
Another great Dr. Suess book that I, and the kids I've read it to, enjoy!
  EmilySansovich | Apr 25, 2014 |
This book gives insight to the importance of environment and habitat conservation. It tells the story of how all the trees disappeared and how the Lorax tried to protect a young ma from dangerous ground. It is a great story to use in a science lesson when discussing habitats and environments.

I would use this book for 1-4 graders. It is a fun read for all engaged. ( )
  breksarah | Apr 24, 2014 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible