The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (1971)

by Dr. Seuss

Series: The Lorax

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

This is one of my favorite books! The premise of this gem from Dr. Seuss is that uncontrolled industry is bad for the environment. It's a great way to get kids thinking about nature, cause and effect, and interdependence. The colors and illustrations are great. It's a little bit long for little kids but it really works for kids 10+. ( )
  flackm | Jul 24, 2015 |
The Lorax is about teaching a lesson in taking of our environment. It showed someone fascinated with silk trees and cutting all of them down. This book teaches students to take care of trees and the rest of our environment.
  ayala.yannet | Jun 7, 2015 |
The Lorax, is a bit of a different but wonderful aspect of Dr. Seuss literature. It is not as nonsensical as some of his early reader books, and is a bit longer. The lesson in this book is that of greediness and of saving/abusing resources, which has a vast many uses in the classroom or with your child. And as usual Dr. Seuss illustrations have captivating colors and simple forms which are wonderful for kids of all ages
  barquist | Jun 4, 2015 |
Summary: Lorax looks after the trees of the forest and knows how valuable they are to the environment and the habit it creates. The Once-ler comes and cuts a few, and then he becomes greedy. He doesn't listen to the Lorax and destroys all of the trees for profit.

Personal Reaction: In a Suess-y way, this book provides simpler context for understanding what is happening to our rainforests. It's also a very good story.

Classroom Extension: Use to introduce the topic of environmental preservation. Discuss how the Once-ler's business hurt the land of the Lorax and how things could have been different if the Once-ler listened to the Lorax.
  KaitlynBlevins | May 6, 2015 |
Summary: A boy living in a strange and polluted town cuts down a tree to frond a Lorax. He complains about the pollution and how their land used to be clean and filled with beautiful plants. The factory that runs the town is shut down because there are no more trees to work with and the Lorax is distraught.

Personal connection: When reading the book I did not make the connections to global warming but that is automatically where my mind goes when reading the story again.

Class use: Ask the students what their thoughts are about global warming. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,077,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible