The Lorax (1971)

by Dr. Seuss

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.
Recently added byHRBubka, private library, look4silverlining, LoriFox, MeshaCups, brauer57, bourlil, vosje84, gavygaray
    The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Wump World by Bill Peet (al.vick)
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

This book teaches students about protecting the environment. From a young age, a boy wanders trying to find a tree--the lorax teaches the child what life is like without the tree and to not take advantage of it. It teaches young children how to coexist with nature as well as encourage it to flourish freely.
  gavygaray | Oct 20, 2020 |
I have heard great things about this book in which I would like to read hopefully soon ( )
  Lexigar | Oct 19, 2020 |
movie would be great to show along with this
  regansli | Oct 19, 2020 |
Elementary school environmentalism. A classic. ( )
  nfulks32 | Jul 17, 2020 |
Kid friendly book full of laughter and mystery. Very vivid and colorful pictures as well. The Lorax symbolizes threat in the environment . This is one of Dr. Seuss most serious books. His use of rhyme and made up words and very different characters makes the story more creative and interesting to read. ( )
  Sakidra | Apr 20, 2020 |
For Audrey, Lark and Lea With Love
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,717,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible