The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (1971)

by Dr. Seuss

Series: The Lorax

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

SEE EDUCREATION
Formal Book review. ( )
  sarahetuemmler | Apr 20, 2015 |
fantasy ( )
  tmr273 | Apr 14, 2015 |
This is a great book for students of all ages to read. Younger students will enjoy the bright colors and illustrations, while older students will be able to dig deeper and grasp the underlying meaning. The funny word choice and make believe language that Dr. Seuss uses throughout the story keeps readers engaged and interested, while the who story just has an overall flow that keeps it interesting. The perspective the story is written in allows the reader to have all of the details that they need without it being boring. The main idea of this story is that we need to work together to protect our environment, and that our environment is a very special and precious thing. Another main idea is that no matter how small of a person you are, it is possible to make a change and make a difference. ( )
  ehopki7 | Apr 5, 2015 |
I did not grow up with Dr. Seuss books. English was not my first language. Even though I had read many children’s books when I was learning English, I recall rejecting these books. Now that I read it as an adult, I understood why I had set these aside at the library. Lots and lots of made-up words. I was reading with a dictionary, and it’s a *%$ as a 10 year old that I can’t understand the concept of made-up words! Lol. Hindsight is 20/20, and now I appreciate the beauty of this book before me.

In this cautionary tale, the visionary Dr. Seuss calls attention to the need of protecting our environment. The Lorax is the speaker for the trees and the animals; he repeatedly pleads with the destructive Once-ler not to chop all the trees down and not to pollute the water. But in his “figgering on biggering”, the Once-ler ignores the pleading until all was lost. The Once-ler punishes himself by staying in his destroyed world and was finally awaken from his stupor when telling his tale to the curious boy that he realizes “UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” This boy receives the last Truffula seed. Grow a forest, and maybe Lorax and his friends will return.

From the brown earth and hazy polluted skies that filled the present-tense pages which transformed into the colorful trees and bright blue skies in the story of the past, Dr. Seuss called attention not only to the environment but also mocked the more and more consumerism – “who would buy that fool Thneed”. But fools do come and buy such nonsense. There is no happy ending, as we the readers need to participate to bring forth that happy ending. Sadly, 44 years since the 1971 publication, that happy ending is yet to come.

This truly is a top notch relevant tale perfect for the youngster (especially ones in a room full of toys), hopefully read with a loving parent to explain the details. ( )
1 vote varwenea | Mar 15, 2015 |
This is my all-time favorite Dr. Suess book. The Lorax tries in vain to save the beautiful trees from the ravages of the Once-ler (industry) and happens to fall short because no one else is paying attention. This was the first socially conscious book that I remember and it definitely had an impact on my outlook.

I really have no complaints about this book. The illustrations are vintage Suess and the story is accessible for a variety of ages.

An animated version was made of this story and it was just as good. Too bad the big screen movie was not.

The bid idea here is to pay attention that to what you are doing and who you are doing it to. Your actions can have a profound impact (sometimes not for the better) on those around you. ( )
  pcadig1 | Mar 5, 2015 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible