The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

What could make Dr. Seuss better? What about a social justice message, a sense of wist for what is lost and cannot be regained, and the prismatic tufts of the truffula trees??? This classic has all three of those self-evident goods. ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Dec 29, 2014 |
After seeing the movie, I fell in love and had to read it! My daughter loves it too! ( )
  NMinor | Dec 28, 2014 |
A great Dr. Suess classic that the children love. Lots of funny pictures and silly words. Easy to think of extension activities to do after reading the story.
  Jessie32 | Dec 9, 2014 |
During my Junior year of high school, we used this book in our AP Environmental Science class, that should give you a sense of how fantastic the message is in this story. This story shows children that the trees are what keeps this earth running and healthy. With out the trees, our land is much less colorful, fresh and beautiful. The story is kid friendly, and gets the issues of environmentalism out to children in a way that children will easily understand. I would recommend this book for ages 6 and up. There is definitely no age limit to this book for me. This book is GREAT for read alouds and for reading at home over and over again. The pictures are fantastic and have such vibrant colors. After looking at the pictures, I wish that we had truffula trees everywhere so that out world would be as colorful at Dr. Seuss'.
  lfasce1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
If I had to think of a book that impacted me as a child, and yet was SF/F, I would say Dr. Seuss‘s The Lorax (and yes, in my book this counts as fantasy as it has fantastical elements).
When I first read The Lorax at age 4, it scared me. I had nightmares about all the trees on our planet dying, and the Earth being swallowed up by pollution monsters until everyone died. With the book’s reminder, Unless, I vowed to do more to help the planet.
To read the rest of my review, please visit: www.ravenoak.net ( )
  kaonevar | Nov 12, 2014 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,146,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible