The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

The main idea of The Lorax is to protect the environment and be aware of your surroundings by not being selfish. I love this book because its is written in a silly, Dr. Seuss way but still informs children about the dangers of pollution and environmental destruction. It is a cautionary tale in a unique style, which makes this a very unique read. ( )
  Ajohns93 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I my opinion this is a good book for children. The writing is engaging and the rhyming flows well. The illustrations fit the written text and the colors captures the the readers attention. The book pushes readers to think about the environment and the harm of cutting down trees. The big idea of this story is to protect the environment. ( )
  Tee_Barnett | Sep 30, 2015 |
This is a book about a child who is seeking the truth. When he finds out the truth from the Once-ler, he tries to make some connections to what the Once-ler one did. Turns out he tore down all the trees in a village and the villagers weren’t very happy with him for a very long time. The Lorax told him that he needed to listen and stop what he was doing because he was ruining the resources for the other villagers in the town. These illustrations are truly fun to look at. Dr. Seuss does a great job at being creative and seeing new creatures; this book does a great job of showing his creativity. The scenery is catchy and enjoyable as people of any age would love to read this story of a boy learning to confess and listen. Students may be able to connect with some of the ideas that are brought forward in this book. That being said, two of the things found in this story that students should learn about are listening and confession, as already stated above. This might be a good story to read in a classroom where a few students are having a tough time listening and this could be a good lesson to them before they do something super bad like the Once-ler once did. Also, students can see how the Once-ler decided he needed to confess what he did wrong so many years ago, and why there are now resources in the land for the villagers to use. Students can now see that it’s okay to make some mistakes but what is not okay, is to lie about it; this is why confessing mistakes is a good thing to do in order to learn from the wrong doing. ( )
  rharrington30 | Sep 15, 2015 |
great for student engagement, earth day, beautiful pictures, wonderful lead
  nmayerle | Sep 14, 2015 |
In my opinion this is an excellent book. In typical Seuss form, he created a story that was easy for children to read, but also had a significant underlying message. Dr. Seuss created a rhythmic enjoyable read by rhyming the last lines on each page. This is evident in the quote, “ And I’ll never forget the grim look on his face when he heisted himself and took leave of this place, through a hole in the smog, without leaving a trace.” This simple rhyming helps makes the story more enjoyable for young readers, but allows them to fully grasp the important concept of conservation. Another aspect that Dr. Seuss develops fully in his book is the characters. One of the main characters, the Lorax is not only shown in full details in the vivid pictures, but also in description through the text. This is demonstrated in the quote, “He was shortish. And oldish. And brownish. And mossy. And he spoke with a voice that was sharpish and bossy.” In addition to the great descriptions and enjoyable writing, Dr. Seuss manages to cram this picture book with the message of conservation. This would be a great way to help young children to learn the importance of our forests and being kind to our environment. ( )
  eyork1 | Sep 14, 2015 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,711,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible