The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

The main message of this picture book is to take care of nature because we once we have lost it, it will take a lot of work to get it back.
This book has always been my favorite because of the illustrations, the way it makes the reader think once they are done reading, and the writing style.
Dr. Suess’s illustrations have always been impressive but I particularly enjoy the drawings in this book. The illustrations are filled with bright colors, odd shapes, and unusual looking characters. All those qualities make this book enjoyable to look at and they only add to the emotional pull of the story. With the first and last few pages of the book being so dark and grey compared to the middle with its bright colors and beautiful nature, it is quite a visual shock for the reader. I enjoyed the oddly shaped trees, the portrayal of the main character as only long green arms, and especially the lorax.
In addition to the illustrations, I enjoy the way the book makes individuals think about their lives and how it affects nature. As the Lorax says during the book, individuals must take care of the trees and the environment. Not only did Dr. Suess remind the readers, he also gave them a real life possibility to show that it is a real problem with real consequences with real visual pictures to really shock the reader into thinking of making possible changes in their life
Lastly, I really enjoyed the writing of this book. It is creative and the author was able to make every page sound interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed the creative words he came up with: the truffula tuft, thneed, bar-ba-loots, and Once-ler. Also the unusual way that the author chose to rhyme this book, my favorite being “my poor swomee-swans… why, they can’t sing a note! No one can sing who has smog in his throat”. This patterns of repetition and explanation of simple logical connections to be very affective for young readers which might be why I find his rhyming patterns to be very interesting and fun to read out loud. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 19, 2015 |
This is a cute book by very own Dr.Seuss. This book is about a lorax who worns the people in his town about the dangers of harming the earth. ( )
  ktboyd | Nov 17, 2015 |
The Lorax by Dr. Suess is an intriguing book about a creature of the forrest trying to save the Earth. The text in this book expand the story and the pictures enhance the story because Dr. Suess uses language that isn't always real. The layout and design of the book keeps the child engaged and moving across the page. I give this book five stars for a great story about saving the earth, and illustrations that keep the reader excited about the story. ( )
  hht23 | Nov 16, 2015 |
See full review @ The Indigo Quill: http://theindigoquill.blogspot.com/2014/04/cinematic-saturday-earth-day-lorax-by...

Dr. Seuss has many great books.
Many great books that make me want to look.
They have pretty colors and many clever things,
the cute little creatures make me want to sing!
He sometimes has a message that makes you think,
just like in the Lorax, it will tickle you pink!
He liked to make things educational and fun,
Fun, Fun, Fun for everyone!

Okay so that's my sad attempt at reviewing in Dr. Seussian. Hardy har har. I love The Lorax. I love Dr. Seuss. Actually, I have every intention of decorating my children's nursery in Dr. Seuss trimmings. I know a lot of people have controversy about the message he's trying to send here, but honestly, I think people can be a little overly-critical of children's picture books. Unless the information is deliberately inaccurate, just take it at face value and look at it through the eyes of a child. Sometimes the simplest lessons are the best lessons, and you just need to enjoy the ride. My children will most definitely know who Dr. Seuss is! Also, did you know they have a pop-up book, too? ( )
  TheIndigoQuill | Nov 7, 2015 |
Today I read this book aloud to one of the ELL students I work with. Both my student and I thoroughly enjoyed the illustrations as well as the language. The story of The Lorax is an amazing one, but the illustrations are what makes it complete. The story begins with a dark tale and the illustrations perfectly match; they are done with dark colors and are less detailed and very dreary. Once the story flashes back to the tale of the Onceler, the images become vividly bright and detailed. The trees are beautiful shades of pink, yellow, and orange and the they fit perfectly with the new tone of the story. The illustrations mirror the text and add details to enhance it. The amazing illustration is by far my favorite part of the book. I also however really enjoy the rhythmic language Suess writes in. The story is told in rhymes and with very many wacky, invented words. These invented words add a light tone to the twisted story being told. They make the reader laugh and the rhymes make the reading much more fun. The main message in The Lorax is all about the environment; it is telling readers not to take advantage of precious natural resources. I loved this story, and so did my ELL that I work with. ( )
  CasieProdoehl | Nov 3, 2015 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,847,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible