The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

4,5181911,073 (4.39)84
Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

The Lorax is a traditional literature book about a young boy who wanders off, into what once was a forest, to find out why the Lorax was lifted. He finds a Once-ler and pays him some money and odd objects to tell him the story on how the Lorax disappeared. The Once-ler explains how his factory business grew too big and destroyed all the Truffula trees. Which then lead to the destruction of the forest, including all the animals, and it turned into a wasteland.

I enjoyed reading this book and I remember reading it as a child. I felt I had to read it a little slower because of all the descriptive words and unusual words in the text. The book is fun to read and the pictures bring out the text. The illustrations enhance the text, with all the bright and vibrant colors. The drawings are very imaginative and unique. The text in the book is also very descriptive with many similes and metaphors. The book is also written very poetically with many rhyming schemes. The author uses fictional situation and characters but he relates it to real life. It is a great classic!

The classroom extensions I would suggest are: having a lesson on pollution and how bad it is for the environment and animals habitats. I would also have a lesson about supply and demand and how business generally works. Another idea would be to take the children to a factory where they use chopped down trees for furniture or paper etc. to help them understand the process of business. ( )
  Robyn7 | Jul 12, 2016 |
How could I not already have listed this as read? Of course I've read it, several times, and seen the cartoon, too. It's a little didactic, but awfully memorable. Too bad it didn't impress more kids - too many folks who were grew up with this are still much too materialistic, no matter the cost to the environment. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Great moral and fun read for kids in the classic Dr.Suess style with rhythms and interesting settings. This story is great for encouraging children to be involved and giving them the confidence to make a difference. Would make a great read for celebrating Earth Day!
  Jacqcar | Jun 6, 2016 |
I love this book so much. It teaches children the importance of conservation
  madisenowen | May 4, 2016 |
This is a wonderful book to use with any elementary grade, but especially with grade K-3. The book is very colorful and full of imaginative ideas that it is easy for the students to engage in this text, and during a read aloud. It can be used for a science extension to discuss the conservation of trees and also a social studies extension to discuss the topic of supply and demand. ( )
  aeuin01 | Apr 20, 2016 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,554,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible