The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

3,645None1,443 (4.4)80
Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. Published by Random House. Copyright 1971. pg. 61

Type of Book: Children's Poetry

Summary: This story is about how the lorax got lifted away. The child goes to the Once-ler's house and pays him to tell him the story. He tells him how the grass was green and it was all so beautiful. The Once-ler chopped down the beautiful trees and started making shirts out of them. The lorax than popped out of a stump and told him that he speaks for the trees. So the Once-ler sold one of his shirts and decided he could make a bunch of money. He then called his family to come help him with his deed. The lorax was mad and didn't want the trees cut down. The lorax showed up saying that the Bar-ba-loots that play in the trees and eat fruit from them have no more food and no energy. So the Bar-ba-loots had to leave. The Once-ler made his factory bigger and he was polluting the air so the birds had to leave. The fish in the pond had to leave as well because the water was turning brown. He cut down all of the trees. So the family left and all that was left was the lorax and Once-ler. The lorax than left the Once-ler. There was a pile of rocks that the lorax left saying unless. The Once-ler realized it meant unless a kid like the boy came to help. So he threw him a seed for the trees and told him to plant it because maybe the lorax and his friends would come back.

Response: This is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. I love his work. The illustrations are amazing. He has come up with some of the craziest words to use for characters and his stories rhyme. I really enjoy reading Dr. Seuss's work. As a kid it was so wonderful to read and look at the awesome art work.
  singleton2012 | Apr 2, 2014 |
“The Lorax” is a book by Dr. Seuss that revolves around the main idea of environmental conservation. This is one of my favorite stories for a few reasons. First, I believe that Dr. Seuss addressed environmental conservation in such an imaginative way that it will cause many children to become interested in the topic. Through his “truffula trees” and “brown bar-ba-loots,” Dr. Seuss intrigues the reader and relates conservation to more than just one type of tree or one area. Rather, his story can be expanded across areas, cultures, and life spans. I also love this story because of the subtle, but powerful call to action at the very end: “UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” I believe that this urges the reader to take action without being too overbearing. ( )
  kburdg1 | Mar 24, 2014 |
This book is so interesting to me because it delivers a familiar message in a very unique way. Dr. Seuss has a way with words, making rhymes out of words that don’t even rhyme. He makes up his own words for things, like the Grickle-Grass and brown Barbaloots. He uses symbolism and descriptive language that draws the reader in and invites them on an adventure. Along with the extraordinary ability to tell a powerful story about a Once-ler who destroys the environment with his greed for business and money, the illustrations in The Lorax are also exceptional and very influential. The colors used are bold and bright, and are representative of the rollercoaster of feelings and moods reflected in the story. The big idea is that unless you decide to become part of the change you wish to see in the world, no change will occur. The Lorax focuses primarily on the environment, but I feel that this sentiment could apply to many situations. ( )
  kbrash1 | Mar 18, 2014 |
This wild animated adaption of the classic children's book is creepy, it's funny, and it's animated in a very computer generated style with speed a clarity that will excite many young viewers.
  ndhalsan | Mar 18, 2014 |
One of my favorite books of all time. I love this book for two reasons. The illustrations are what make the book really interesting to read and enjoy. I love how the colors of the trees are in different colors and in the beginning of the book everything is colorful and happy and towards the end when all the trees are cut everything is dark and sad. This book helped the little ones see the picture and understand the story even without reading it. The plot of the book is also another thing that I like. I love how the book starts with a very sad place where there are no birds, trees and everything is dark and then it continues to tell the reader how it back this sad place. The book goes from a sad place to a very happy place that it ones was and back again to a sad place because all the trees were cut off. The main idea of this book is to talk about the environment and how important it is to keep it clean and help grow as much tress as possible. A great book to read to your class. ( )
  dtato1 | Mar 14, 2014 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,450,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible