The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

4,742211988 (4.39)84
Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

The Lorax is one of my favorite books of all time. I love this book for many reasons. First, Dr. Seuss's classic rhyming writing style makes reading his books fun and unforgettable. Young readers will enjoy reading the song-like prose and will be encouraged to read independently. I also enjoy the message that this book sends to children about the environment. I believe that by showing children the impact that they have on the environment, they will understand and take action to help preserve it. The Lorax does an amazing job at making this message clear to readers. Lastly, I enjoy the illustrations that this book has. Dr. Seuss's style of art will be loved for generations to come and the Lorax is no exception. The illustrations are bright and colorful when the environment is good, but when things go badly the illustrations turn dark and dismal. This help readers to understand the impact that The Onceler has on the environment. ( )
  CassieLThompson | Dec 16, 2016 |
This book is a great book about teaching children about the environment and the impact of deforestation. This book is about a tree in a fores that is harvest to make clothes. After a while, there is only one tree left. I like the visual representations in this book because it keeps the students engaged and it shows a true representation of the an environmental concern.
  Cameron.InouyeNg | Dec 15, 2016 |
The Lorax is a children book about a man's journey in understanding the fragile state of the envirnemtn around us. I throughly enjoyed this book! I loved the illustrations. I felt that the bright colors of the different animals and scenes in nature were engaging to the reader. I also enjoyed how the illustrations got less colorful as the forest was decimated. I believe that showing that changes from a healthy, bright and colorful scene to a duller area showcased the affect of the man's actions. I also enjoyed the writing in this book. The classic Dr.Suess rhyming kept the readers interest and the pace of the book made it unchallenging to young children. Overall, I believe that this book offers an overall message of respect for nature and how every action has a consequence.
  jessclark | Dec 15, 2016 |
This is a classic Dr Seuss story, it is a cautionary tale about the Lorax who speaks for the trees. This is a great book for discussing environmental conservation with kids. While it has a lot of non-words (every Dr Seuss story), these provide high engagement for kids. The illustrations showcase the story very well. The intro is dark and dreary representing industry and the illustrations are bright and colorful during the parts describing the land before all the trees were chopped down, providing a visual representation of the ideals of the book. ( )
  Alangenberg | Dec 5, 2016 |
The Lorax is the person that speaks for the trees and for the environment. When an industry comes to the forest, the Lorax tries his hardest to stop the deforestation and pollution of the land. Unfortunately, the Lorax was not able to stop the industry.

This is a great story to accompany with a unit on the environment and pollution. I liked it and I like reading stories with nonsense words, because it makes the story more interesting for the reader.

An activity that I would do is a book picture analysis as a class. We looked through the book and noticed that the illustrator accompanied the story and we didn't even realize it. As the story went on , the pictures lost their vibrant colors and became glum. ( )
  kmedwa4950 | Dec 1, 2016 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,795,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible