The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

Recently added byprivate library, PegD, nhinsider, BenHobbes, thevella6, jgslibrary, sweff, HommelFamily, Michael.Rimmer
    The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

I chose the book The Lorax by Dr. Suess. I chose this book because it is my favorite book by Dr. Seuss. I love how creative the author made book. Dr. Suess made all the characters seem so real. The best feature to me were the colors. I love how colorful the book is. Children will have so many questions about the book. They would wonder where The Lorax has gone. They would want to know more about the ecosystem in Sneedville. ( )
  augustaspors | May 8, 2017 |
  Paula1989 | May 8, 2017 |
This book is about how bad things can happen when we don’t take care of our environment. I liked this book. It was very interesting and I love these types of books. The reading levels for this book are kindergarten through fourth grade.
  ShaneKadrmas | May 5, 2017 |
This book is perfect for teaching children the importance of conservation and protecting the environment. The lorax warns a greedy clothes maker that if he chops down too many of the trees it will be no good. The greedy man does not listen and makes a factory. He takes all of the trees and ruins the animals homes. At the end the man realizes what he has done. This book teaches children about selfishness and selflessness and caring for the environment. It is a classic. ( )
  Cheyene | May 2, 2017 |
This book is a perfect way to teach about the environment and the importance of conservation. Since this is a Dr. Suess book there are pictures and rhymes throughout the story that will intrigue children and keep the interested. ( )
  A_Whitney | Apr 28, 2017 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,228,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible