The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

I somehow never managed to get my hands on this book during childhood, but as possibly Dr. Seuss' most adult story, that doesn't really seem to matter. The colour contrasts in this book are striking and effective, and the message remains sadly relevant over 40 years after it was written. Critics often call the story "preachy;" I would simply say that its theme is less figurative than that of some of the author's other stories (say, "The Sneetches" for example). Probably the most powerful thing about the book, though, is the abruptness of its ending. I expected the typical, happy, "I've learned my lesson" wrap-up, and that's not what you get. Or maybe it is--but it's you, the reader, who has learned the lesson, and not the main character. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Feb 7, 2015 |
This is a fantasy book. It opens with a boy looking for answers from the Once-ler, a creature who has lived in a torn-down valley for many years. The Once-ler begins to tell his story about how he arrived in the valley, where all the truffula trees grew tall. He chopped one down to knit a "thneed", and began to sell them. A creature named the "Lorax" warned him that things would not turn out well if he kept on cutting the trees down. Pretty soon, all the trees are cut down, and all the thneeds are sold. Then the Once-ler realizes his mistake. He stops, and holes himself up in his house. When he finishes his story, he gives the boy the last truffula seed to plant and once again inhabit the valley with trees. I could use this in a 3rd grade classroom to open a unit about environmental awareness, or to teach how Dr. Seuss uses rhyme in his stories. ( )
  athena.j | Feb 2, 2015 |
What could make Dr. Seuss better? What about a social justice message, a sense of wist for what is lost and cannot be regained, and the prismatic tufts of the truffula trees??? This classic has all three of those self-evident goods. ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Dec 29, 2014 |
After seeing the movie, I fell in love and had to read it! My daughter loves it too! ( )
  NMinor | Dec 28, 2014 |
A great Dr. Suess classic that the children love. Lots of funny pictures and silly words. Easy to think of extension activities to do after reading the story.
  Jessie32 | Dec 9, 2014 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,706,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible