The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

Kids love Dr. Seuss, with his silly names and words, and rhyming language. The Lorax also reminds us "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Fun book with a good message. ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. One reason I liked this book was for the writing. The way Dr. Seuss wrote this book flows very well together due to the rhyming and it's very engaging. For example, when he wrote "And under the trees I saw Brown Bar-ba-loots frisking about in their Bar-ba-loot suits", it just flowed very nicely off the tongue to read. His use of imaginary words would also be very engaging to little children. Another reason I liked this book was how it makes children really think about the tough issue of conservation and keeping our environment healthy and safe. This can sometimes be a very heavy topic to discuss with children, but I thought the Dr. Seuss did a great job at addressing the topic in a way that was appropriate and relatable for children. Overall, I think the big message of this book is a warning that we need to take care of our Earth and nature. ( )
  akwon3 | Sep 24, 2014 |
In my opinion, “The Lorax” is a good book. One reason I liked this book was because of the writing. The writing flows together and rhymes. For example, “On the end of the rope he lets down a tin pail and you have to toss in fifteen cents and a nail…” When the words are written together like that, one can read the words like a tune to a song. Another reason I liked the book was the illustrations. The illustrations fit nicely with what the words were saying. In the book, when the Lorax is talking to the Once-ler the picture shows the Lorax talking to the Once-ler. The picture accurately describes what is happening in the story. The big idea is for children to become aware of the environment around them, and how they can help protect the environment. ( )
  amulve2 | Sep 21, 2014 |
Dr. Seuss sometimes wandered into the political arena, as with this treatment of damaged ecologies, endangered species, pollution, and the role of Big Business in contributing to these problems. The message of the Lorax seems even more relevant in these days of climate change and corporate greed. ( )
  burnit99 | Aug 17, 2014 |
This is classic Dr. Seuss and a good book to share with students about protecting the environment and asking when having enough is enough. The book also shows how different groups of people can live in harmony. This book also introduces the concept of activism.
  briandurr | Jun 4, 2014 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,885,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible