The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

This is truly a Dr. Seuss classic about environmentalism and issues that still take place today. Students will like this story because they have most likely seen the movie. This book can extend into a great conversation about how we can take care of the animals that live in our world too. This book is for the higher elementary grades due to the length and lesson in the story. ( )
  KRW15 | Apr 30, 2015 |
The Lorax is the protector of the forest full of Truffula trees. The Once-ler comes and begins to harvest the trees for profit. Eventually he gets greedy and breaks a promise he made to the Lorax about how he will not cut down all the trees. All the trees are gone and now all the animals need to find a new place to live because their home is all gone. This helps to inform children about the deforestation process that is gradually happening around them. They need to act fast before there are no trees for the future. ( )
  amartino1208 | Apr 28, 2015 |
SEE EDUCREATION
Formal Book review. ( )
  sarahetuemmler | Apr 20, 2015 |
fantasy ( )
  tmr273 | Apr 14, 2015 |
This is a great book for students of all ages to read. Younger students will enjoy the bright colors and illustrations, while older students will be able to dig deeper and grasp the underlying meaning. The funny word choice and make believe language that Dr. Seuss uses throughout the story keeps readers engaged and interested, while the who story just has an overall flow that keeps it interesting. The perspective the story is written in allows the reader to have all of the details that they need without it being boring. The main idea of this story is that we need to work together to protect our environment, and that our environment is a very special and precious thing. Another main idea is that no matter how small of a person you are, it is possible to make a change and make a difference. ( )
  ehopki7 | Apr 5, 2015 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,855,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible