The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

This book is a perfect way to teach about the environment and the importance of conservation. Since this is a Dr. Suess book there are pictures and rhymes throughout the story that will intrigue children and keep the interested. ( )
  A_Whitney | Apr 28, 2017 |
The Lorax
Summary:"The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss is a story about how a little yellow thing teaches a little boy about why there are no more trees and why trees are so important. The little boy tries to plant a tree in the middle of town and the mayor tries to stop him.

Personal Reaction: This a really good book to teach kids about trees and why trees are important.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Teach them about trees.
2. I would have them color a tree that looks like the ones in the book.
  JessicaHerriage21 | Apr 23, 2017 |
Introduction: The Lorax is written by beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss. The book teaches conservation of resources and the importance of trees.
Characters: Main characters include the Once-ler, a boy, and the Lorax. Seuss also includes various animals to show how pollution and the harvest of all the trees devastate wildlife, causing them to seek new habitats.
Theme/Plot: The main theme of The Lorax is environmental conservation, but the book also teaches that one person can make a difference in the world if he/she cares enough.
Author: Dr. Seuss was born Theodor Seuss Geisel. He is beloved throughout the world for his children’s books often full of rhymes and quirky characters.
Summary: The Lorax tells the story of a boy who lives in a world full of pollution. He visits the Once-ler who tells him the place where he lives used to be full of Truffula trees and animals of all sorts. The Once-ler tells the boy that he cut all the trees to make Thneeds despite the Lorax’s (who speaks for the trees) warnings not to cut the trees because of the destruction to the environment. The Once-ler gives the boy the last Truffula seed instructing him that if he cares enough he can plant it and repopulate the tree population.
Quotes: Seuss introduces the Lorax as saying ““I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.” When encouraging the boy to care enough to conserve the environment, the Once-ler pleads ““Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, cNothing is going to get better. It's not.”

Overall Recommendation: I would recommend this book for any age. The Lorax can be used to teach environmental conservation and science. ( )
  StephanieMcCrary | Apr 23, 2017 |
What seems vast and infinite probably isn't. People who chase money look for opportunity and profits might not look at long term solutions. When the opportunity and profits dry up, they just move on, leaving denuded land, empty factories, and broken hearts.
  edwardcandler | Apr 11, 2017 |
I think the main idea of this book is to teach children at a young age about the environment. It is very important for children to believe at a young age that we need to keep our environment in order to live. I like the rhyming of the book because it makes you read in a beat. The pictures are also very complex which gives students a visual of what is going on in the story. ( )
  kkrume1 | Apr 5, 2017 |
This book is great whimsical story about the Lorax the protector of the trees. This book would be a great as an addition to a science unit about pollution or how to be more Eco-friendly! This book has a great a story with good underlying themes and morals.

At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,893,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible