The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

4,7012081,008 (4.39)84
Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

This is a classic Dr Seuss story, it is a cautionary tale about the Lorax who speaks for the trees. This is a great book for discussing environmental conservation with kids. While it has a lot of non-words (every Dr Seuss story), these provide high engagement for kids. The illustrations showcase the story very well. The intro is dark and dreary representing industry and the illustrations are bright and colorful during the parts describing the land before all the trees were chopped down, providing a visual representation of the ideals of the book. ( )
  Alangenberg | Dec 5, 2016 |
The Lorax is the person that speaks for the trees and for the environment. When an industry comes to the forest, the Lorax tries his hardest to stop the deforestation and pollution of the land. Unfortunately, the Lorax was not able to stop the industry.

This is a great story to accompany with a unit on the environment and pollution. I liked it and I like reading stories with nonsense words, because it makes the story more interesting for the reader.

An activity that I would do is a book picture analysis as a class. We looked through the book and noticed that the illustrator accompanied the story and we didn't even realize it. As the story went on , the pictures lost their vibrant colors and became glum. ( )
  kmedwa4950 | Dec 1, 2016 |
This is an incredible book on saving forests written by Dr. Seuss. This book is best suited for a third grade reading level because of the concepts that need to be grasped. It is an excellent choice for a Read Across America Day book. Also, the pages are beautifully illustrated, and there are many crafts that can go along with this book. ( )
  MaryHannahSwan | Nov 10, 2016 |
This book is a fantastic tool to use in the classroom when talking about the environment. The Lorax is a representative who "speaks for the trees" and warns the citizens about the dangers of their environmentally destructive ways. ( )
  BethBaugh | Nov 8, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book because of all the action. Dr. Seuss follows a young boy as he learns about what happened to the trees told by the Once-Ler. ( )
  jessica_haynes | Nov 7, 2016 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,817,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible