The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss

The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel

Series: The Lorax

Member:ckoller
Title:The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Other authors:Theodor Seuss Geisel
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Picture

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (1971)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Both are about why trees are so great!
    The Woodcutter's Christmas by Brad Kessler (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: While the woodcutter deals with real people, they both make the point that "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    Bumperboy & The Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey (cransell)

In this Story a small town is run by a big corporate company. One day a young boy becomes curious as to what lies outside the towns walls. When he steps outside, he sees that the world around them has been destroyed. Upon seeing this he finds the Lorax, who speaks for the trees. The Lorax and the young boy then spread the message that trees need to be taken care of, and that one person can have a big impact. ( )
  CourtneyHowe | Feb 14, 2017 |
Summary:
The Lorax is an environmental story that follows a boy from Thneedville, who is searching for answers about why there are no more trees. At the beginning of his journey, he meets the Once-ler who tells him about his greed fr money and power. Through the Once-ler's story, we meet the Lorax who us the protector of trees, as well as many other animals. The Once-ler relives his mistakes and stresses how the boy who cares an awful lot, can make a difference. The story ends with the emergence of the Lorax, and the replanting of trees.

Personal Review:
The Lorax is a contemporary picture book that uses bright and vivid illustrations as well as poetic text to bring awareness to the importance of trees. My husband and I are very passionate about keeping the environment and the Earth clean, and it’s something that we are trying to teach our children. I love how this story takes the importance of keeping the Earth clean, and turns it into a beautifully and entertaining message for children and adults. We love to read this story at home, as well as watch the movie.

Extension Ideas:
The Lorax is the perfect book to introduce the importance of keeping the environment clean. After reading the story, I would have materials available for the students to make their own Lorax inspired mustache, and then declare what they will do to help the environment. On our monthly bulletin board, I will have the mustaches and their ideas displayed. Another fun lesson to take away from The Lorax, is recognizing problems, and thinking up solutions for those problems. As a class, we would gather all the problems that were presented in the story, and then the solutions to those problems.
  KaylaRoseDyer | Feb 12, 2017 |
All children should read this brilliant interpretation of how corporate greed (portrayed through the Once-ler's eyes) influences our environment, essentially ruining nature and all things dealing with it. I tagged this book a little higher in grade level because of that fact. This book can bring attention to things that children should know starting very young. Especially now, at a time where our children's children will be greatly affected by such changes. Seuss made an adorable character speak such truth, as he always did. ( )
  MeganSchneider | Feb 10, 2017 |
This book is about the once-ler that explains how the town became polluted and what the people can do to save the town. This book is an example of fantasy because Dr. Seuss creates his own world of creatures.
  Khegge15 | Feb 5, 2017 |
the lorax does everything he can to save all the trees but sadly all the trees get cut down.
learning how to save the environment
2 books
  TUCC | Jan 23, 2017 |
At the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows and no birds ever sing excepting old crows... is the Street of the Lifted Lorax.
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues ....

This is a story about deforestation and the conservation of land.  It is a perfect book to introduce environmental topics in the classroom.  The colorful illustrations are fantastic and sure are an attention getter.  I would suggest 2nd grade as an appropriate time to introduce this book.

Links to additional materials:  http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/lisa_algee/deforestation.html

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394823370, Hardcover)

When Dr. Seuss gets serious, you know it must be important. Published in 1971, and perhaps inspired by the "save our planet" mindset of the 1960s, The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The Once-ler describes the results of the local pollution problem.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,476,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible