Queen of the Night: A Novel of Suspense by…

Queen of the Night: A Novel of Suspense (original 2010; edition 2010)

by J. A. Jance

Member:jendoyle2000
Title:Queen of the Night: A Novel of Suspense
Authors:J. A. Jance
Info:William Morrow (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:southwest, arizona, mystery, native americans

Queen of the Night by J. A. Jance (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, Buchi, pontiacgal501, chrissilu68, caliope428, annemany, caseyjohn

Not much mystery nor complicated plot, but lots of back-story that had been omited from previous novels about the Walker family. Sets the stage for the next generation and their adventures. ( )
  DrLed | Feb 21, 2013 |
At first I didn't under stand it. Because it jumped around from one character to anther and someone killing people. after a will it started to make sence. I injoyed it. ( )
  jbemrose | May 21, 2012 |
I hated the beginning of this book – choppy writing, too many characters introduced too fast, cliches (“Now that Geet knew it was curtains for him....”), too much overly dramatic writing with not enough actual suspense. Too much explaining what was happening instead of working it into the story. Nope, this one definitely wasn't my kind of book even though I'm a fan of mysteries.

If I weren't reading it for a book discussion group, an odd book to choose, I probably would have quit in the first 30 pages. I did slog through, though, and in the end, it was okay but no better than that.

I did enjoy reading about the Tucson setting and about the Tohono O'odham Nation, I did enjoy some of the characters, although perhaps it says something that my favorite character was a dog. In the future, I'll avoid this author and stick to those authors whose writing I enjoy more and take chances on new authors. Hey, you don't know if you don't try, and I gave this one a try. ( )
  TooBusyReading | May 20, 2012 |
It starts with murder... murders. An unsolved murder from 40 years ago, a murder from 20 years ago that leaves a boy motherless and his father in jail, and the murder spree in current time of a man who blames everyone else for his failings.
Dr Lani Walker, Brandon Walker and Diana Ladd Walker are back as the current murder spills over into the Tohono O'odham Nation during the once a year blooming of the Queen of the Night cactus flowers. With a blending of Indian lore and suspense all of the stories intersect resulting in answers with a cost. ( )
  SuseGordon | Nov 13, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Queen of the Night is the fourth in the Walker family series. This series has always struck me as a bit darker and grittier than Jance's other series, but with Queen of the Night she seems to have written a more intricate suspense novel that takes the focus off of the evil deeds of the bad guys and places it on the connections between characters. The resultant beauty in those connections and the blessings that can come out of tragic events and circumstances is a major focus in this book.

The complex character relationships could have been difficult to follow, but Jance's story flowed exceptionally well and made those connections effortless to follow. The relational aspect of the book also had an extraordinary symmetry to it -- rather like the "circle of life" concept. There was a lyricism to this story that I haven't fully experienced in Jance's other works and, I think, makes this one shine above the rest.

For those, like me, who have grown up in the Southwest there is plenty of regional atmosphere. The desert flora is represented by the Night-blooming Cereus which blooms once a year and has symbolic significance to the Tohono O'oodham people. Jance also weaves into her own story some of the legends of the Tohono O'oodham people (Desert People).

This is, hands down, the best Jance novel I have ever read. Get it. Read it. Really. ( )
  TerriB | Apr 5, 2011 |
In memory of Tony Hillerman, Old White-Haired Man, and all his Brought-Back Children
They say it happened long ago that a young woman of the Tohono O'odham, the Desert People, fell in love with a Yaqui warrior, a Hiakim, and went to live with him and his people, far to the South.

Murders old and new disturb the peace of Tohono O'odham Nation residents and their Arizona neighbors in this fourth entry in Jance's Walker Family series. Californian Jonathan Southard is so seething with resentment that he kills his wife and children and goes after his remarried mother in Tucson.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Queen of the Night by J. A. Jance was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,919,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible