Queen of the Night: A Novel of Suspense by…

Queen of the Night: A Novel of Suspense (original 2010; edition 2010)

by J. A. Jance

Member:jendoyle2000
Title:Queen of the Night: A Novel of Suspense
Authors:J. A. Jance
Info:William Morrow (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:southwest, arizona, mystery, native americans

Queen of the Night by J. A. Jance (2010)

Not much mystery nor complicated plot, but lots of back-story that had been omited from previous novels about the Walker family. Sets the stage for the next generation and their adventures. ( )
  DrLed | Feb 21, 2013 |
At first I didn't under stand it. Because it jumped around from one character to anther and someone killing people. after a will it started to make sence. I injoyed it. ( )
  jbemrose | May 21, 2012 |
I hated the beginning of this book – choppy writing, too many characters introduced too fast, cliches (“Now that Geet knew it was curtains for him....”), too much overly dramatic writing with not enough actual suspense. Too much explaining what was happening instead of working it into the story. Nope, this one definitely wasn't my kind of book even though I'm a fan of mysteries.

If I weren't reading it for a book discussion group, an odd book to choose, I probably would have quit in the first 30 pages. I did slog through, though, and in the end, it was okay but no better than that.

I did enjoy reading about the Tucson setting and about the Tohono O'odham Nation, I did enjoy some of the characters, although perhaps it says something that my favorite character was a dog. In the future, I'll avoid this author and stick to those authors whose writing I enjoy more and take chances on new authors. Hey, you don't know if you don't try, and I gave this one a try. ( )
  TooBusyReading | May 20, 2012 |
It starts with murder... murders. An unsolved murder from 40 years ago, a murder from 20 years ago that leaves a boy motherless and his father in jail, and the murder spree in current time of a man who blames everyone else for his failings.
Dr Lani Walker, Brandon Walker and Diana Ladd Walker are back as the current murder spills over into the Tohono O'odham Nation during the once a year blooming of the Queen of the Night cactus flowers. With a blending of Indian lore and suspense all of the stories intersect resulting in answers with a cost. ( )
  SuseGordon | Nov 13, 2011 |
I was right in remembering Jance as someone who could write female characters without getting soppy or lost in details about their appearance. Such a relief.

The story circles in general around the night-blooming cereus (otherwise known as the Queen of the Night), a flower of the deer horn cactus which blooms only one night a year, and then every flower at once. I remember reading about this flower somewhere before, and that it's quite a sight since the white, dahlia-like blooms are often the size of a dinner plate. I may get a chance to see this myself one day, if I carry thru on my plans to move to the Southwest after retirement.

But back to the story. At first I had a hard time keeping all the characters straight as there are quite a lot of them and the point of view changes from one to the other every few pages, but the story was so interesting that I could barely put the book down and finished it in 2 days. With that much concentration, I was able to get my bearings on everyone quickly enough.

There are, in fact, two plots. The minor one concerns a dying detective's desire to solve the 1959 murder of an young co-ed, into which he draws an old partner and friend when he can no longer leave his bed. The partner is also connected to the major plot, that of a man who goes on a killing spree that covers two states and eventually involves members of the second detective's family.

Mixed in this this are a lot of details about the many characters that make me eager to read the first three books in the Walker Family series. A trip to the library is in order. ( )
  BooksCatsEtc | Apr 24, 2011 |
In memory of Tony Hillerman, Old White-Haired Man, and all his Brought-Back Children
They say it happened long ago that a young woman of the Tohono O'odham, the Desert People, fell in love with a Yaqui warrior, a Hiakim, and went to live with him and his people, far to the South.

Murders old and new disturb the peace of Tohono O'odham Nation residents and their Arizona neighbors in this fourth entry in Jance's Walker Family series. Californian Jonathan Southard is so seething with resentment that he kills his wife and children and goes after his remarried mother in Tucson.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Queen of the Night by J. A. Jance was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,542,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible