Queen of the Night: A Novel of Suspense by…

Queen of the Night: A Novel of Suspense (original 2010; edition 2010)

by J. A. Jance

Member:jendoyle2000
Title:Queen of the Night: A Novel of Suspense
Authors:J. A. Jance
Info:William Morrow (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:southwest, arizona, mystery, native americans

Queen of the Night by J. A. Jance (2010)

It's summer and a very important event for the Tohono O'odham Nation in Arizona is about to occur; the annual, one night only blossoming of the Queen of the Night flower. In the events leading up to this, a man kills his wife and children and then sets off to shoot his mother and stepfather and ends up killing more than he planned; collateral damage he calls it. Dr. Lani Walker is on call when Dan Pardee, border patrol and half Apache, historidal enemies of the Tohono O'odham Nation, brings in the lone, unknown survivor of one of the two massacres, she has to face her childhood trauma from before she was adopted. In the meantime, Brandon Walker is working on solving a cold case and is worried about his wife. Diana Ladd.

The novel's scenes are broken up by time, temperature and location. Having not read the prior three Walker family thrillers, it took a little while to get everyone of the regular cast of characters straight, but that didn't hinder the book. I liked it fine, but not being a mystery/thriller fan per se, I didn't find anything special enough or riveting enough to make me like it more; as I say, it's not my cup of tea. This isn't a novel where you don't know who the murderer is; in the story that is in the present day of the story, you know who the murderer is before anyone knows any murders have happened, so it's more the suspense of finding out if the murderer will be caught, will people be safe. In the back story of the cold case, you don't know who the murderer is. ( )
  Karin7 | Mar 25, 2016 |
I always enjoy J.A. Jance's books...This one started a little slowly for me because there were so many characters to keep track of, a lot of jumping between characters....but once I had the characters (and their stories) straight, their interwoven stories made it more interesting, more meaningful. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Not much mystery nor complicated plot, but lots of back-story that had been omited from previous novels about the Walker family. Sets the stage for the next generation and their adventures. ( )
  DrLed | Feb 21, 2013 |
At first I didn't under stand it. Because it jumped around from one character to anther and someone killing people. after a will it started to make sence. I injoyed it. ( )
  jbemrose | May 21, 2012 |
I hated the beginning of this book – choppy writing, too many characters introduced too fast, cliches (“Now that Geet knew it was curtains for him....”), too much overly dramatic writing with not enough actual suspense. Too much explaining what was happening instead of working it into the story. Nope, this one definitely wasn't my kind of book even though I'm a fan of mysteries.

If I weren't reading it for a book discussion group, an odd book to choose, I probably would have quit in the first 30 pages. I did slog through, though, and in the end, it was okay but no better than that.

I did enjoy reading about the Tucson setting and about the Tohono O'odham Nation, I did enjoy some of the characters, although perhaps it says something that my favorite character was a dog. In the future, I'll avoid this author and stick to those authors whose writing I enjoy more and take chances on new authors. Hey, you don't know if you don't try, and I gave this one a try. ( )
  TooBusyReading | May 20, 2012 |
In memory of Tony Hillerman, Old White-Haired Man, and all his Brought-Back Children
They say it happened long ago that a young woman of the Tohono O'odham, the Desert People, fell in love with a Yaqui warrior, a Hiakim, and went to live with him and his people, far to the South.

Murders old and new disturb the peace of Tohono O'odham Nation residents and their Arizona neighbors in this fourth entry in Jance's Walker Family series. Californian Jonathan Southard is so seething with resentment that he kills his wife and children and goes after his remarried mother in Tucson.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Queen of the Night by J. A. Jance was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,888,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible