This Is Me From Now On by Barbara Dee

This Is Me From Now On

by Barbara Dee

A sort of synopsis of This is me from now onEvie and her two best friends, Nisha and Lily, are happy with their lives and friendship until the day Evie gets a new neighbor, Francesca. Francesca is different, she is not like the other girls Evie knows, she both dresses and acts differently. When Evie is forced to work with Francesca on a school project it's a life changing experience.The girls suddenly has this brilliant idea, they're doing a project on the side, matchmaking for their teacher. It is so obvious who the lady is in love with, the woman just needs a few pushes in the right direction. Everyone needs a bit of happiness and needs to feel loved, right? What harm can they possibly do?Nisha and Lily doesn't like that Evie spends so much time with the new girl and the three of them have a fall out. On top of every thing that's going on in Evie's life her big crush asks her out on a date.My thoughts:This is me from now on is a sweet and funny story and I bet tween girls would love it. The book reminded me of the time when I was the same age as the main character, Evie. I loved reading the book and remembering things from the time when I was younger, it was great fun.I think most girls can relate to some of the issues Barbara Dee writes about, such as dealing with jealousy when you feel like your best friend is drifting away and bonds with another girl. You get scared, hurt and insecure which in some cases will result in anger(even when you're not really angry).Evie is a sensible girl, perhaps a bit to sensible? When she meets Francesca it's like she got a vitamin shot. It changes Evie view on what she wants and she learns to be more true to herself as a person. Sometimes we need to take some chances and get our butt out of our comfort zone.Francesca lives with her aunt and the family quarrels about where she's best of staying. Her parents have almost abandoned her, the just visit when they feel like it. It just broke my heart, no wonder she is so obsessed with making everyone she likes happy.The one thing I would have liked to be explored a bit further in the novel was Francesca and her life. Perhaps there is room for a sequel?This is me from now on is recommended for tween girls or adult girls like me who likes to remember those days ;) It is a light read that I bet young girls would devour on a warm summer day.The cover:Gives me all the right associations, summer, friends and fun. ( )
1 vote Ladybug83 | Jun 5, 2010 |
Evie was a typical teen going through life trying to fit in with out making a big splash. That all changed when Francesca walked into her life. Francesca is a a little strange but so wild and adventurous she seems to shake some life into Evie. Evie's friends on the other hand didn't seem to trust the new comer. They seemed to sense her immaturity and they believed she wasn't always to truthful. This Is Me From Now On was a quick paced book. I enjoyed the lighthearted and funny nature of the book. It took me no time to fly right though it. I really enjoyed the fun in the book. It made me realize that life comes in all shapes and sizes and is happening all around you. Enjoy it while you can. I would recommend this to those who like a quick easy read.
  cleverlyinked | May 23, 2010 |
I thought this one was an excellent middle grade novel. (also know as tween fiction) It really caught the dramatics of 7Th grade girls and I think Barbara did an excellent job of catching the pre-teen feeling of "OMG! My world is falling apart!" As adults we sometimes think that these problems aren't important but we tend to forget what it was like at that age.
The cast of characters was excellent, as the author managed to show of so many types of personalities within this group of kids. The personal struggle that the main character, Evie, faces as she is trying to find her place in the world are very true to life.
I think tweens and teens will enjoy this one because they'll be able to relate; probably pick out friends in real life who are like the characters in this book also. As an adult, I saw so many issues of growing up included in this book. Self-esteem, being yourself while trying to fit in, and accepting the consequences of the choices you make are just a few of the things that Barbara blends seamlessly into the story.
Overall...Excellent! I hope you'll pick this up for your tween or one in your life. ( )
  Cajunbooklady | May 4, 2010 |
This was a fun book, definitely a perfect addition to a weekend reading list. Francesa and Evie are two girls thrown together by circumstance, but friends despite the common opinion. The way everday situations turn into outlandish adventures when they are together certainly proves that you can't always judge a book by the cover. The message within this seemingly frothie tale, is true to its core. We write our own stories....so what will yours say! ( )
  GRgenius | Feb 28, 2010 |
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

I am a fan of Barbara Dee. She always writes a very good story.

This time the story centers on Evie, a seventh grader. She is a part of a trio of friends and has gotten into a rut.

In walks Francesca. She is a little strange. She has moved in with her aunt, who lives next-door to Evie. The adults throw Francesca and Evie together, and even though she is odd, Evie feels sorry for her and the two start to have adventures.

Her two other friends feel threatened and stop talking to Evie. Through many mishaps and misunderstandings, Evie learns a lot more about what it is to be a friend.

I love Barbara Dee's writing. The characterizations are amazing. Francesca is well-written and she is very interesting. She has a backstory which is sad and makes you understand why she is doing the things she does. Evie's two other friends are silly but very realistic. I teach fifth grade and the fights girls have are very real but most of the time very silly.

I loved THIS IS ME FROM NOW ON, and thanks to Barbara Dee for another great book! ( )
  GeniusJen | Feb 27, 2010 |

When she makes a new friend who believes in speaking frankly and aggressively pursuing whatever she wants in order to avoid having a dull life, Evie goes along with her plans, but when people get hurt, she regrets her actions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,380,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible