Enemy Lover by Karin Harlow

I liked the story line and the action, the whole concept of the book. But somehow it didn't grab me and I don't know why. I should have loved it, but I only liked it. I'm not sure if it's the voice or because I did not really like Jax - I just could not relate to her. Or maybe it's because I'm getting tired of all the killing because all these 'we are going to save the world teams' are playing judge/jury and executioner.
I'm more than willing to give this author another try, though.

3,5- 4* ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
This is one of the best adult paranormal books I have read in a LONG time. OMG! I am sorry but when I am excited about something I don't articulate myself very well and boy am I excited! Let's hope I can explain my new found love for Karin Harlow!

So...lets start with a strong spitfire of a heroine, one who faces the worst life has to offer and comes out on the better side. Then...add a dangerously sexy vampire who is looking for his mortal side. Slap them together add political intrigue and secret government agencies and you have this book in a nut shell.

The heroine is strong, one of the strongest ones I have read about and wasn't turned off by her over exaggerated strength. The author has no problem torturing her characters and she certainly shoves everything bad in life at Jax and then rewards her with everything that can be good. The hero is also equally strong and as unmoving as Jax but he has a soft side as well and he has his own code, I can respect that in a man. It also doesn't hurt that their bedroom activities ignite to crazy heights, oh yes, you know what I mean.

The plot. OMG, the plot. *deep breathe* The plot is perfect, I was hooked from page one that I started at about one in the morning all the way to the last page at about six in the morning. I can't even explain the book well right now with all the sleep deprivation, it's like a female Jason Bourne crossed with a white Blade and then shoved into a freaking Mission Impossible movie. Gah, anyway the entire book is hot, exciting, and amazing.

If you were ever only going to be able to read one book that I recommend it would be this one! You HAVE TO GET IT NOW! I can't wait until everyone in the world reads this book and then understand the awesomeness and then can gush about it with me! *deep breathe* *sigh* ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I LOVED IT!!
the book is very well written and never boring, it's amazing.
the characters are easy to fall for.
Jax Cassidy, what to say. At first i thought " OMG she's a psycho" but then, getting to know her better i saw that she's just that baddass.
Marcus Cross.... the author made him almost perfect. He's obliviously sexy, at first it's like a caveman, death and sex being the first thoughts, but then he becomes more "human-like". you start to see that he's honorable and that even if he wants to look like a super macho he is also very sweet, especially when he understands that with Jax he has to go soft.
what else to say.
hot hot hot ( )
  Sarah.Hansrote | Feb 12, 2014 |
Reviewed by Jen
Originally posted at Romancing the Book
ARC provided by the author

I loved this book. I devoured every word and my first thought when finishing was “when is the next book in this series coming out?” (I happened to look today, Enemy Mine will be released August 30!). From reading the back cover, I wasn’t sure exactly what I was getting myself into. Is this a paranormal, or a romantic suspense? Well, it’s definitely both, with more emphasis on the suspense… the paranormal part just seems secondary, although crucial.

I found myself intrigued by the “mercenary” group Karin created with L.O.S.T. and those members who have found their way to working for them. The political undertones mixed with this highly secretive group for hire lends itself to so many stories. And when you add in a paranormal twist, your options are just limitless. I can’t wait to see where Karin takes the staff of L.O.S.T in future books.

But, back to Enemy Lover. Jax is a complex character and she is well developed over the course of the novel. You care about her and ache for her to achieve justice in the end. While I didn’t find Marcus quite as interesting, I did want to see him receive peace (and a happy ending). And the chemistry between the two… well, I’m shocked that my book didn’t burst into flames.

After skimming the book to refresh my memory (other than remembering so clearly that I enjoyed it), I’m finding myself wanting to re-read… which is about the highest praise I can give a book as I rarely want to do it. ( )
  RtB | Jul 28, 2012 |
Please see full review at Reader's Edyn: http://bit.ly/nPdu7F

I just e-mailed an acquaintance that had asked me to let her know what I thought about Enemy Lover because it was my first Karin Harlow book. Ironically, the e-mail served well in helping me collect my thoughts about the book. *whispers* Acquaintance, you know who you are so if some of the comments in this review seem familiar, take care – you inadvertently aided me in creating this review. 

I really loved this book. I can honestly say that I looked forward to turning every single page, actually upset with myself at times for not reading faster. Once in a while my eyes would jump ahead a catch glimpses of what was coming up. Bad, I know, but I enjoyed it that much. There was something taking place on very nearly every page. Yes, yes, that is what generally happens in books. I am aware. But what I mean is that Harlow did not linger over any scene overmuch. She kept the story forward moving at all times with a fast-paced read that the reader has no choice but to jump into head first.

What I really appreciated was the balance within the book. As much as I hate to admit this, sometimes reading a lot of erotica-type books kind of wears a person down. I do not always want to read about attraction, passion flared, and the inevitable sexual conquest wrapped up in a pretty little love story. *GASP* Did I just say that? Yes, the steamy sex is nice, but the story does not have to revolve around the sex to be good and suck the reader in. Trust me, I’m on the lookout for the lightning that is about to strike me down!

Anyway, Harlow builds a world with various other worlds that is very easy to believe in. Government funded secret op forces that take out national threats. Yeah, I can get on board with that. There is the world as we know it and then there is Marcus’s world and Jax’s world. Each has its own rules and regulations and each perceives the other as a threat. Not to mention each is acting for the greater good. But which side is the good side is the question that has to be answered. And of course, through it all, the world as we know it hasn’t the slightest inkling that any of these organizations exist.

Also liked was the fact that I could identify with Jax. Not from the perspective of having ever suffered a crime so heinous, but understanding her reactions, motivations, and drive to continue on after the nightmare she experienced. When the heroine is tough and strong, she has to embrace characteristics much like Jax to be believable. I think that a lot of us in our daily lives operate similarly to Jax. Definitely not on her level, but in the following way: She may not have been perfect, but she did the best she could with what she had with the best intentions - a feat I think many of us try to emulate within various aspects of our lives. Bottom line, I thoroughly enjoyed Enemy Lover and my time spent with the L.O.S.T. I can’t wait to continue the journey with Enemy Mine, Karin’s latest L.O.S.T. installment. You can also find Karin writing as Karin Tabke.

(paperback won in contest online courtesy Pocket After Dark) ( )
  GzNKz4evr | Oct 17, 2011 |

"It's Jax Cassidy's first mission for L.O.S.T.--one that will give the former cop who went rogue a chance to prove herself. Her assignment: gain the trust of assassin Marcus Cross...eliminate him...then take down Marcus's mentor, Joseph Lazarus, a man with a bold eye on the White House. But the woman who's known by her team for being a femme fatale succumbs to passion, only to discover Cross's deadly secret. He's a vampire, and Joseph Lazarus is his creator. Left for dead by his platoon in the violent hills of Afghanistan, Special Ops sniper Marcus Cross was given a second chance at life. His newly heightened skills make him the perfect killing machine, and as Lazarus's right-hand man, he's quickly rising to the top of his dark empire, purging enemies with speed and precision. Only when dangerous beauty Jax Cassidy is sent to bring him in does he begin to question Lazarus's motives and his own actions. But when Jax's life is threatened by the one thing that can destroy them both, Marcus must make a bitter choice--her death or his."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible