A Killer Plot by Ellery Adams

A Killer Plot (2010)

by Ellery Adams

A Deadly Cliché by Ellery Adams (LornaBarrett)
    LornaBarrett: Ellery Adams' debut novel, A Killer Plot, is not only a great read, but a visceral experience. Olivia Lamoges investigation into a friend's murder, will have you hearing the waves crash on the North Carolina shore. You might even feel the ocean winds stinging your cheeks. Visit Oyster Bay and you'll long to return again and again.… (more)

Well, I had to go back to read the first of these fluffy mysteries, having started by mistake with the second. Ms. Adams (a cheesy pseudonym, don't you think?) could use a copy editor from time to time, but it was an entertaining read on a rainy day. ( )
  ffortsa | Dec 16, 2016 |
Olivia Limoges happens to meet the members of an aspiring writers’ group in Oyster Bay, North Carolina. And Olivia is in the midst of a bad case of writers’ block with her historical novel. She particularly likes one member of the group – not in a romantic way. Later he’s found dead behind a seedy bar that he normally would not have entered … and the writers’ group wants to know why he was there and what happened to him.

As it turns out, Olivia is a wealthy woman and is accustomed to making her own rules and having her own way. So she doesn’t hesitate for a second to intrude on the police investigation when she thinks it’s necessary.

Olivia is not your stereotypical cozy heroine. She has a few years on her and doesn’t have the Pollyanna-ish approach to live of many such characters. In fact, her past is murky and a bit dark. One of the characteristics that most endears her to me is that she is not ruled by her hormones. When she’s intrigued by a man, she’s very much in control and definitely not the needy type. Thank goodness there are women who don’t go weak in the knees when a handsome man appears!!!

I really like this series and, upon finishing it, made my way to my local bookstore and bought the next two in the series. And there are more!!! ( )
  NewsieQ | Nov 5, 2016 |
Oyster Bay, North Carolina used to be a well-kept secret, but since a national magazine rated it one of the best places to live / vacation, the population has swelled and economic growth has increased. Olivia Limoges has recently returned to Oyster Bay; wealthy, single and aloof, she owns a number of commercial buildings as well as her family homestead. A chance encounter with a group of writers, draws her out of her shell, but before she had establish herself with the group one of them is murdered.

This is a pretty interesting cozy mystery, featuring a group of aspiring authors who together try to solve the murder of one of their group. I like Olivia Limoges, though I was picturing her as much older (and eventually figured out she’s probably in her mid-30s, or perhaps early-40s). I like that her faithful dog – a standard poodle named Captain Haviland – is a DOG, not a character who helps solve the crime (though his ability to track does come into play). I also like that Olivia and her friends do not take unnecessary chances; they are curious and do meddle (wouldn’t be much of a cozy mystery without SOME intervention by the amateur sleuths), but they seem to know when to back away and let Police Chief Sawyer Rawlings step in.

I thought Adams did a good job of setting the scene. I really got the sense of a small sea-side community that relies on tourist trade in season, fishing year-round, and is struggling with issues of new-found wealth and investment. As is typical of most cozies, there’s a pretty large cast of supporting players, not a few of whom are pretty colorful (a roller-skating dwarf waitress, for example) I found a few of the relationships stretched credulity, but not enough to mar the fun.

Adams includes several interludes where the writers’ group members share chapters from the books they are working on. Well … I could have done without those. The reveal seemed abrupt and it happened a good 50 pages before the book ended, which made me wonder if there wasn’t another twist coming up. That kind of extra padding really isn’t necessary.

Still, it held my attention, it had a good pace and I enjoyed trying to figure out who-done-it. I’ll definitely read another in the series. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | Jul 23, 2016 |
I picked this book because it contained a writing group and I thought it would be interesting to see how writers would tackle an investigation. It seems an eclectic group with each person writing in a different genre. I liked that we got some excerpts from the writers as well as some critique/feedback on the passages we saw.

I'm not sure if it was just because it is the first book in the series, but there seemed to be quite a few extraneous characters that didn't really need to be involved in this plot. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
I got the second book of this cozy mystery series as a gift, so I bought the first book. I honestly wanted to love A Killer Plot. It has a would-be writer as the lead. She has a poodle (what is not to like?). It is set on the coast of North Carolina in the fictitious town of Oyster Bay, near New Bern. The mystery is just difficult enough to solve that it kept my interest.

That written, there were some missteps. Olivia Limoges, the lead character, has some serious personality flaws. She throws money around to get rules bent. She parks illegally in handicapped spots, saying she can afford the fines. No matter how nice she is to others, there is a hint of calculation behind her actions. I hope that some of this is smoothed out in the next book as I don't really like her.

There are two gay men in the book. Both of them are close to being stereotypical in their language and clothes. Did I like those characters? Absolutely. But still I wish there were some level of balance.

I will read the next book and hope for the best. After all, this is just the start of the series and the premiere may have some rough spots. ( )
1 vote Jean_Sexton | Sep 22, 2015 |
For Mary Shirley Harrison, dear friend and kindred spirit.
Two of Oyster Bay's lifelong citizens were in line at the Stop 'n' Shop, gossiping over carts stuffed with frozen entrees, potato chips, boxes of Krispy Kremes, and liters of soda when Olivia Limoges breezed through the market's automatic doors.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042523522X, Mass Market Paperback)

Olivia Limoges is the subject of constant gossip. Ever since she came back to town-a return as mysterious as her departure-Olivia has kept to herself, her dog, and her unfinished novel. With a little cajoling from the eminently charming writer Camden Ford, she agrees to join the Bayside Book Writers, break her writer's block, and even make a few friends...

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:46 -0400)

"In the small coastal town of Oyster Bay, North Carolina, you'll find plenty of characters, ne'er-do-wells, and even a few celebs trying to duck the paparazzi. But when murder joins this curious community, the Bayside Book Writers are there to get the story...Olivia Limoges is the subject of constant gossip. Ever since she came back to town--a return as mysterious as her departure--Olivia has kept to herself, her dog, and her unfinished novel...But when townspeople start turning up dead with haiku poems left by the bodies, anyone with a flair for language is suddenly suspect. And it's up to Olivia to catch the killer before she meets her own surprise ending."--P.[4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible