The Noise Within by Ian Whates

The Noise Within

by Ian Whates

Other authors: Dominic Harman (Cover artist)

Series: The Noise (book 1)

First contact...or is it? Fairly good sci-fi, though a bit far out on the military end of the genre for my taste. Still enough other meaty content to keep me happy and get me to immediately begin reading the sequel. One peeve: the author occasionally chooses a similar-sounding word to the one he intended to use, and always (three times, yes I counted them) said "principle" when he should have used "principal." Needs an editor. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
A space opera romp that almost makes it. I was quickly drawn into the story and the two chief protagonists' lives. The pace kept me interested and it was rarely dull - those moments largely being concerned with other minor characters we travelled with for a while, some of whom I lost track of. Why, for instance, show the life of the kid - his story added nothing to the rest of it? While I did like Leyton, I felt he was a bit of a caricature, and would have found some more depth with him a better use of the pages.
Having just read a Neal Asher book, I was pleased to notice that I am not the only one to compare - much of the tech seemed familiar.
But then the descriptive passages got a little out of control, and towards the end the fights got a little more detailed... just as if a green author were attempting to add to the momentousness of the events being described, only it went the other way, and I was bored.
But, from the perspective of the book as a good read, it was enjoyable without being testing, and I am sure I will get around to the sequel. ( )
  Drakhir | Apr 3, 2013 |

Ian Whatesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In memory of Bill Whates, who, I like to think, would have been proud of his son.
Leyton crouched beneath the wall, waiting for the right moment.

On the brink of perfecting the long sought-after human/AI interface, Philip Kaufman finds his world thrown into turmoil as a scandal from the past returns to haunt him and dangerous information falls into his hands. Pursued by assassins and attacked in his own home, he flees.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible