The Mirror of Merlin by T. A. Barron

The Mirror of Merlin (1999)

by T. A. Barron

1,003612,982 (4.11)None

So good! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
The Mirror of Merlin is the slowest of the series thus far. It wasn’t until about 150 pages into the book (only about a 250 page book) that things really began to happen. I just felt like this was a little slower than the plot should have moved. Maybe if something more important happened to Merlin at the beginning of the story it would have been more interesting. Basically, we just learn that he is trying to control his shadow, which he is having a hard time with and that his art of Leaping isn’t what it should be. Nonetheless, I stuck with it and am glad I did because the ending was pretty good.

However, I can’t say to much about what happens in the last 100 pages besides saying that Merlin does find the mirror. I’m not going to say what he finds in the mirror or what happens at the end of the book, so if you want to know you will have to read other reviews (no spoilers!). I will say that this book contains the most about the Arthurian legend in its last 100 pages.

I was really upset that Rhia wasn’t in this book. I really liked her character and thought it would have been more interesting to have her along than Hallia. I didn’t feel that Hallia served to much of a purpose in this novel other than telling Merlin about a great flaming tree in the center of the Marsh and showing him how to find it. She also isn’t anymore developed in this book than she was in the previous. We at least get to see her relationship with Merlin start to develop. The best thing was being able to see some more of the baby dragon!

A new creature introduced in this novel was the ballymag. He is pretty much the traveling companion of Merlin and Hallia on their adventure within the Marsh. I didn’t really like him that well. His speech was just really strange and annoying, and other than knowing his way around the Marsh I would say he didn’t serve a purpose. I think Barron could have worked a little harder with this little creature to make him more adoring like Shim. I don’t want another Shim in a different creature, I just want the author to spend as much time developing these new creatures as he did with Shim. That’s what makes Shim such a good character in the first book. Oh well! Maybe you will like the ballymag!

Anyway, I thought the book was pretty good. Just not as interesting or exciting as the others. I did enjoy the ending however, which bumped up my rating of the book. After reading all the others in the series you will want to read this as the ending of the book is important. Anyone who loves the series or who likes fantasy books should enjoy this book as well. Just be sure to read them in order! ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
I don't really remember this book, but I do remember enjoying this series when I was a kid. ( )
  smitkevi | Oct 15, 2010 |
The Lost Years of Merlin is a good series. TA Barron does a great job with it. ( )
  Nikkles | Aug 23, 2010 |
Childhood read, good times, not great. ( )
  DF5B_RobertS | Dec 17, 2009 |
In misty dreams and shadowed memories
Of fabled cities I have dwelt apace...
In crystal splendor I have spanned the seas
And clothed myself in legendary grace.
--from a sixth-century poem,
SONG OF DYFYDDIAETH
The world from which the stories came
lies still within the astral mists...
--W. B. Yeats
This book is dedicated to
M. Jerry Weiss
devoted friend of students, teachers, and wizards

with special appreciation to
Jennifer Herron
Many are the mirrors I have examined; many are the faces I have seen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008461, Mass Market Paperback)

This is book four in the national bestselling saga of young Merlin, destined to become the greatest wizard of all time.

Something wicked is lurking in the swamplands on the magical isle of Fincayra-an encroaching evil intent on destroying the land-and only young Merlin possesses the power to stop it.

Merlin must embark on a journey through the haunted land to find his stolen sword. But then he discovers a magic mirror capable of altering a person's destiny-and the visage he finds within the glass is someone he never imagined he'd see . . .

"Young sorcery fans...set aside Harry Potter and pick up Merlin." (The Cincinnati Enquirer)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:00 -0400)

Through adventures involving a haunted marsh, talking trees, and the creature called the ballymag, the young wizard Merlin continues to experience both his growing powers and his essential humanity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,390,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible