The Collector Collector by Tibor Fischer

The Collector Collector (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Tibor Fischer (Author)

Member:Pawelek
Title:The Collector Collector
Authors:Tibor Fischer (Author)
Info:Vintage/Ebury (a Division of Random (1998), Edition: New Ed, 224 pages
Collections:14122018

The Collector Collector: A Novel by Tibor Fischer (1997)

This was one of those intriguing books that failed to intrigue me. I gave up on it after a while, because it felt like the absurdity just wasn't going to sustain my interest. Sometimes absurdity is enough, but generally I need at least one other thing to hang my interest on. Characters whose problems I care about tend to do it, but I don't recall being enticed that way.

Still, Fischer seems well regarded, so I'm fine putting the failure down to me or to the circumstances of my reading. However, I doubt that will be enough, given all there is to read, for me to give the author another try. (Not that I don't welcome some encouragement to the contrary.) ( )
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
Narrated by an ancient Sumerian bowl that 'collects' collectors. Witty and unusual. ( )
  neilchristie | Dec 30, 2009 |
I adored this fun little book about a sentient piece of pottery! It can change its form, effect the world around it, and remembers in excruciating detail every single person who has owned or handled it. Very unusual, totally refreshing and a real delight. ( )
1 vote LisaLynne | Mar 9, 2008 |
'And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods
which were in their hand and all their earrings
which were in their ears and Jacob hid them
under the oak ...'

Genesis 35.4
Eszternek
I've had a planetful.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805057862, Paperback)

Okay, folks, are you ready for a talking bowl? In The Collector Collector author Tibor Fischer has chosen to tell his story from the perspective of an erudite piece of pottery. No mere chachka from Pottery Barn, Fischer's narrator is several hundred years old, has a very long memory, and an astounding command of 5,000 languages. What's more, this bowl has witnessed more human depravity than the Marquis de Sade ever dreamed of: "Things are done in front of me that wouldn't be done in front of pets," it points out. Yet this inanimate object keeps its secrets--until it falls into the hands of Rosa, a London art appraiser with the ability to read the memories of objects and a history that shocks even the usually unflappable urn.

Rosa's sad-sack love life, a kidnapped advice columnist imprisoned in a well, and a kleptomaniac houseguest are just a few of the curve balls Fischer throws into this ribald tale of sex, murder, and frozen iguanas. The Collector Collector will certainly appeal to readers who revel in bad puns, bawdy stories, and wild flights of improbable fancy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:20 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,510,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible