Drawing Autism by Jill Mullin

Drawing Autism (2009)

by Jill Mullin

The quality of the artwork of those ASD individuals whose work is included in this book is amazing. It is so varied and beautiful. If only everyone could appreciate all facets of each individual despite handicaps or differences, what a better world we would have. Kudos to the author and to Temple Grandin for putting together this collection and explaining it to us so clearly.

My favorite drawing was "Vogels" (Birds) by David Barth. This was a picture, featured on the cover as well, of about 400 different birds drawn in ink and colored pencils. I loved it because I'm now trying to draw birds with colored pencil. This picture, done by the artist at the age of 10, is a hundred times better than what I can do at age 66. :)

Another artist whose drawings I really loved were those of Shawn Belanger. He did colorful drawings of people in city scenes in ink and marker.

A picture called "Winter Trees" done in oil by Esther j. Brokaw was simply lovely. Eleni Michael's "Picture #007" of flowers is amazing as well.

It was nice to put aside people's differences in these pages and simply focus on the incredible talent of the included artists. My only issue with this book was the font in which it was printed. Its light color and small size was terribly difficult for my aging eyes to see well, although I forced myself to read the entire book because I wanted to fully appreciate the artwork. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Oct 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of Library Thing's Early Reviewers Free Giveaway, and I thank them greatfully for this glimpse.

This is an absolutely stunning collection of art. Stunning not in the way of incredibly beautiful or popular representation, but in the way it hits one in the gut. Viewing the artworks and reading the artists' response to questions is just such a revealing truth. Perhaps they see more clearly. I actually underlined comments as I progressed through the book. There is nothing pretentious about this book, it just is - and it's wonderful, in the truest sense of the word. ( )
  dreplogle | Jul 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was received as an Early Reviewer Copy.
The images in this book are a reminder of the vast and beautiful people who live within the diagnosis of autism. Like the images on the pages, each of us is unique and full of promise. It is a reminder of what amazing things can be accomplished when we are given the opportunity to achieve. ( )
  signrock | Apr 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a mother of a speech-language pathologist specializing in working with autistic children and the grandmother of a grandson with Asperger's Syndrome I could not wait for this book. However I found the set-up difficult to enjoy. While the artwork is beautiful, the interviews with the artists were in tiny print. There was room for a larger bolder print. It was hard to fully appreciate this while putting glasses on and off. So I chose to enjoy the artwork!!!! Beautiful! ( )
1 vote LivelyLady | Apr 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fascinating and filled with the most amazing creations. I love this book and share it with everyone I know. My son spent hours looking over this book even after we shared the experience together. Lovely and certainly something to cherish. I received a copy through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Jenn.S | Mar 26, 2014 |
NURTURING THE WAYS IN WHICH WE SEE THE WORLD
BY TEMPLE GRANDIN
When I was a child, my mother nurtured by artistic ability. I was always encouraged to draw many different subjects.
AS SEEN THROUGH THE AUTISM SPECTRUM
BY JILL MULLIN
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a developmental disability associated with social interaction, communication impairments, and rigid and/or repetitive behavior.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0981960006, Hardcover)

Although autism was first identified in 1943, the last decade has seen the complex neurobiological disorder become a topic of conversation the world over. Knowing no racial, ethnic or social barriers, today autism is diagnosed in 1 in every 150 children, with boys four times more likely to be autistic than girls. Known as a spectrum disorder, autism manifests differently in every diagnosis. From social deficits to behavioral difficulties and language delays, the severity of autism varies greatly from person to person. The unique nature of how autism affects individuals in myriad ways makes the disorder a challenge for those who have it, have children with it or work with those living with the diagnosis. Art has long been an outlet used by some individuals with autism to express themselves in instances where words do not work, or cannot be made to.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

Using artwork created by individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), Drawing Autism celebrates their artistry and self-expression while also serving as an accessible point of entry into understanding how ASD manifests in individuals. Behavior analyst and educator Mullin has assembled a staggering array of work from established artists like Gregory Blackstock and Jessica Park, to the unknown but no less talented. Through their art, the contributors exhibit unique perspectives on how they see the world and their places in it. Their creations, coupled with artist interviews, comprise a fascinating and compelling book that serves to educate and inspire anyone who knows someone diagnosed with ASD.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jill Mullin's book Drawing Autism was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible