The Philosophical Strangler by Eric Flint

The Philosophical Strangler

by Eric Flint

Series: Joe's World (book 1)

Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David (DemetriosX)
    DemetriosX: Very similar senses of humor and narrative viewpoints.

My absolute favorite book by Eric Flint, and he is in my top five authors, so yes I really do love this book. This is the first in the Joe's World series, of which he has lamentably written only two thus far.

Now I understand that there is not as much of a following as for his other series, that the high humor in Joe's World is truly only savored by a few. I understand the cries of the masses, the myriad of intriguing projects, the wonderful authors that are just clamoring to work with him. So he works on other books. But Joe's World is a priceless gem that can only be told by Eric Flint! No one else has the twisted imagination, the dripping satire, the ability to drown on and on and on and on and on and on till just before the point that one screams and throws the book across the room. In no other fantasy series have I ever had to look up words every few minutes. No other fantasy cries forth with such interesting, intriguing, demented, unforgettable characters. These books are after all one of the very few series that I have actually purchased multiple copies and then inflicted upon others (And yes inflicted is the right word). I have even read chapters of the books over the phone.

So do I love and recommend this book? Yes, yes, yes, yes! A thousand times yes! Ignace and Greyboar are a charm to read, and Benvenuti Sfondrati-Piccolomini (admittedly only a minor character in this first book) is not to be missed. And as the wise man says 'Folly ever comes cloaked in opportunity.'

A fun read for those demented few souls who are able to understand its high humor (and much easier to read than Forward the Mage or even A Desperate and Despicable Dwarf which you can only find as a work in progress online). ( )
  dlcooper | Jul 6, 2015 |
baen ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I love Eric Flint's writing - he is humorous and entertaining, and manages to bring serious topics into a book without making it a serious book. However, this particular book didn't carry me through it. I read somewhere that many of the chapters of this book were in fact written completely independently as short stories, and Mr. Flint cobbled them together into a novel. The result is a novel without much of a plot. Its appeal is in its cleverness and sometimes off-color humor, but you had best find that cleverness and humor immensely entertaining and repeatedly so, or you will grow tired of the book and not finish it - as was the case with me. The lack of consistent plot leaves no reason to want to finish the book when you lose interest.

Still, some people will love it. My brother thought it was absolutely hilarious through to the end. I did, in fact, find it highly enjoyable up until about half-way through, when I got bored with it. I'm giving it 3 stars for enjoying it half-way through, and a little extra for my brother's two cents.

I would recommend reading some of the author's other books that actually have well-considered plots rather than choosing this one, but if you wind up with a free copy somehow, it's worth starting it to see if you like it. The nice thing about a book without much plot is you can quit when you want to and not feel like you're missing out. What you can get out of this review is knowing, if and when you become tired of it, that there is no reason to force yourself to read further, because it's not going to change for the better. So, you've nothing to lose by trying it. Maybe you'll be like my brother and enjoy the heck out of it. Nothing risked, nothing gained! ( )
1 vote bibliojim | Nov 2, 2009 |
Tries too hard.

GreyBoar is a professional assassin/mugger, a strangler by preference with stupidly excesively developed musculature. His duly registered agent is Ignace, who is the narrator of this tale. He thinks he's funny.

The narrative tone is supposed to be some coniveal pub like gossipy session of telling stories. It quickly grates and doesn't get any better as the book progresses. One incident leads ot another which reminds me of when .... you never actaully get a reason. It is almost a collection of short stories. There is just about an underlying theme.

All fo the characters are ridiculously exagerated, Ignace is a midget, his girlfriends are dykes (their words), the sister equally over the top straightlaced, the bishops totally venel. For instance, there his Hell, and then 'The Place Worse Than That', without any normal for balance, it just fails.

The attempts at philosophy aren't any better - particularly the corruption of famous names, without linking to their underlying thoughts that they are famous for. It could have been funny, but without more actual philosophy to show that the author understood what he was trying to satirise, it isn't. The concept is all good, the execution just doens't work well enough to make it worth struggling through.

I did finish it, without having laughed at any point, and the ending was predictable. Is that all? I thought. ( )
  reading_fox | Aug 23, 2009 |

Eric Flintprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickman,StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roach,RichardMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David and Fred and Richard;
To Joanie, who fed us beer and spaghetti;
To Steve, on his couch;
And to the memory of Jerry O'Connell
"To the contrary," demurred Greyboar, toying with his mug, "the secret lies entirely in the fingerwork." (prologue)
But that was all in the past. Ancient history. Forgotten unpleasantness.
It was bad enough when Greyboar was wasting his time (and my patience) searching for a philosophy of life. But now that he's found one, he's impossible.
GREYBOAR - Strangleure Extraordinaire

"Have Thumbs, Will Travel"

Customized Asphyxiations

No Gullet Too Big, No Weasand Too Small

My Motto: Satisfaction Garroteed, or
The Choke's on Me!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743435419, Mass Market Paperback)

When Greyboar, a professional strangler, discovers the Supreme Philosophy of Life, he becomes a new man--but how can a villain in good standing pay the bills with his philosophical exploration getting in the way? Then Greyboar's long-lost sister asks him to help persecuted dwarves escape their human oppressors.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,415,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible