Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen
    Ingenue by Jillian Larkin (HollyMS)
    Vixen (The Flappers) by Jillian Larkin (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both are YA historical fiction series set during the 1920s.
    The Luxe by Anna Godbersen (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both YA historical fiction series by Anna Godbersen.

Not sure I like this as much as I did Luxe... but that certainly won't stop me! ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Bright Young Things was a novel that had everything I wanted for being set in the 1920's. It had the air of The Great Gatsby while also including speakeasies under a church that you need to know the password to enter. I felt myself pulled back into one of my favorite time periods, filled with smoke, bootlegging, gangsters and dancing. I picked this one up at a library book sale and couldn't have been happier when I spied the title as I have wanted to read one of Anna Godbersen's series for a long time now. And I only paid a dollar for it! I knew I had scored gold.

I'm really glad that multiple point of views were shown in this book because at times I found myself irritated with each narrator and at other times I wish that I could continue reading the one point of view. The change was fluid and help keep the pacing of the book moving.

The plot kind of fell flat for me, but I did love the world and the setting. The pacing was alright, and was was really saved by the multiple point of views. My heart wasn't really in the budding romance, probably because it was so brief. I don't blame Cordelia for what happened though, she was really kept out of the loop. It would have been far more interesting if her father had included her in the business rather than just keeping her a party girl.

One things I didn't like about this book was that there wasn't enough about the gangsters. Also, they refuse to tell Cordelia anything, which makes it really hard to blame her as she was just thrown into this new world. I wanted so much more and I am sure to return for the sequel this was the first book that I have read by Anna Godbersen and I can't wait to read more by her. At times I was irritated with the characters, but I love them more than anything. ( )
  manka23 | Aug 26, 2017 |
I detest quitting a book, but I’ve just got to face the facts… there are too many books in this world to spend time suffering through one I dislike. So, in list format, here’s why I decided not to continue this book:

- The introductory scene just seemed cruel to me. Of all the starting places to pick, getting married then immediately running away for no reason related to getting married just seems silly.
- I suppose the description of the book should have warned me, but what I read of this was one giant cliche.
- All the characters are way too nice to each other. There’s a little discussion about how one of the girls has a mean, discontented family, but it’s mostly to illustrate a bit where she’s remembering something and her feelings were hurt.
- I just couldn’t stand the narrator’s voice, or her depiction of all the characters. There wasn’t a lot of variety in her tones, and everything sounded way too pink and poofy for my tastes.
- Set in the 1920s, the only hint of time period I had was a mention of prohibition.
- All in all, I think it’s written too young for my current tastes.

I think that someone looking for an adorable romance and really simple writing may be able to continue, but if you’re looking for Zelda Fitzgerald-esque glamour and pizzazz, you won’t find it here.
  Morteana | Jul 19, 2017 |
i liked this book for the most part. the plot kept me interested, but I felt the ending was very abrupt. almost like she ran out of things to write and just ended the book =/ ( )
  Kityn | Jul 3, 2016 |
Anna Godberson's newest series takes place in the roaring twenties. Letty and Cordelia live in a small town in Ohio. They have both spent their lives dreaming of something bigger. The night of Cordelia's wedding, the two girls run off to New York City. Almost immediately upon arrival the two girls split up because of a fight.

Letty ends up working as a cigarette girl, dreaming of working on Broadway. Cordelia finds her father, the famous bootlegger Darius Grey. Both girls get drawn in by the glitz and glamor of New York City and Long Island in the 1920's. Cordelia makes friends with Astrid, her half brother Charlie's girlfriend, also living on Long Island who's life is not as glorious at it seems.

Unfortunately I wasn't quite in the mood to read this book right now, which dampened my enjoyment a little bit. While there was a lot of historical detail in the book, it felt as though it wasn't as specific as some of the details given in Godberson's previous series. Another difference that I didn't really like was that in the previous work, we got not only the girls thought's and feelings we also got the men's. In this work we never got their feelings so it's harder to tell where the story is really going. You know what's happened but you aren't sure of people's motives so I don't feel as attached the male characters as the I do to the girls.

While I liked Letty, Astrid and Cordelia I did wonder a little bit at Letty and Cordelia. Both girls have had difficult lives before coming to New York. It made me wonder that they weren't more cautious in their situations. I understand that the work takes place in the 1920's which was a very carefree era, and that the wealthy in particular tended to throw away opportunities and money, but these two girls never really had anything, so they should have known better. Then one of them would be flakey like that is believable. That both of them would completely let the entire experience go to their heads was rediculous to me. I do want to read the next one and find out what happens next. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Anna Godbersenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anna Godbersenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the Roaring Twenties.

Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey escaped their small Midwestern town for New York's glittering metropolis. All Letty wants is to see her name in lights, but she quickly discovers Manhattan is filled with pretty girls who will do anything to be a star. . . .

Cordelia is searching for the father she's never known, a man as infamous for his wild parties as he is for his shadowy schemes. Overnight, she enters a world more thrilling and glamorous than she ever could have imagined—and more dangerous. It's a life anyone would kill for . . . and someone will.

The only person Cordelia can trust is ­Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have it all: money, looks, and the love of Cordelia's brother, Charlie. But Astrid's perfect veneer hides a score of family secrets.

Across the vast lawns of Long Island, in the ­illicit speakeasies of Manhattan, and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, the three girls' fortunes will rise and fall—together and apart. From the New York Times bestselling author of The Luxe comes an epic new series set in the dizzying last summer of the Jazz Age.

In the spring of 1929, eighteen-year-old Cordelia Grey and her stage-struck friend Letty Larkspur run away from their small Ohio town to seek their fortunes in New York City and soon find themselves drawn into situations and relationships, particularly with the dazzling Astrid Donal, that change their lives forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,748,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible