Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

Bright Young Things (edition 2010)

by Anna Godbersen

Member:FutureMrsJoshGroban
Title:Bright Young Things
Authors:Anna Godbersen
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:2012, Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:1920s, historical fiction, flappers, gangsters, bootleggers, Prohibition, Jazz Age, New York City, Broadway, rags to riches, runaway bride, friendship, young adult

Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

Ingenue by Jillian Larkin (Hollerama)
    Vixen by Jillian Larkin (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are YA historical fiction series set during the 1920s.
    The Luxe by Anna Godbersen (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both YA historical fiction series by Anna Godbersen.

i liked this book for the most part. the plot kept me interested, but I felt the ending was very abrupt. almost like she ran out of things to write and just ended the book =/ ( )
  Kityn | Jul 3, 2016 |
Anna Godberson's newest series takes place in the roaring twenties. Letty and Cordelia live in a small town in Ohio. They have both spent their lives dreaming of something bigger. The night of Cordelia's wedding, the two girls run off to New York City. Almost immediately upon arrival the two girls split up because of a fight.

Letty ends up working as a cigarette girl, dreaming of working on Broadway. Cordelia finds her father, the famous bootlegger Darius Grey. Both girls get drawn in by the glitz and glamor of New York City and Long Island in the 1920's. Cordelia makes friends with Astrid, her half brother Charlie's girlfriend, also living on Long Island who's life is not as glorious at it seems.

Unfortunately I wasn't quite in the mood to read this book right now, which dampened my enjoyment a little bit. While there was a lot of historical detail in the book, it felt as though it wasn't as specific as some of the details given in Godberson's previous series. Another difference that I didn't really like was that in the previous work, we got not only the girls thought's and feelings we also got the men's. In this work we never got their feelings so it's harder to tell where the story is really going. You know what's happened but you aren't sure of people's motives so I don't feel as attached the male characters as the I do to the girls.

While I liked Letty, Astrid and Cordelia I did wonder a little bit at Letty and Cordelia. Both girls have had difficult lives before coming to New York. It made me wonder that they weren't more cautious in their situations. I understand that the work takes place in the 1920's which was a very carefree era, and that the wealthy in particular tended to throw away opportunities and money, but these two girls never really had anything, so they should have known better. Then one of them would be flakey like that is believable. That both of them would completely let the entire experience go to their heads was rediculous to me. I do want to read the next one and find out what happens next. ( )

Anna Godbersenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anna Godbersenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the Roaring Twenties.

Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey escaped their small Midwestern town for New York's glittering metropolis. All Letty wants is to see her name in lights, but she quickly discovers Manhattan is filled with pretty girls who will do anything to be a star. . . .

Cordelia is searching for the father she's never known, a man as infamous for his wild parties as he is for his shadowy schemes. Overnight, she enters a world more thrilling and glamorous than she ever could have imagined—and more dangerous. It's a life anyone would kill for . . . and someone will.

The only person Cordelia can trust is ­Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have it all: money, looks, and the love of Cordelia's brother, Charlie. But Astrid's perfect veneer hides a score of family secrets.

Across the vast lawns of Long Island, in the ­illicit speakeasies of Manhattan, and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, the three girls' fortunes will rise and fall—together and apart. From the New York Times bestselling author of The Luxe comes an epic new series set in the dizzying last summer of the Jazz Age.

In the spring of 1929, eighteen-year-old Cordelia Grey and her stage-struck friend Letty Larkspur run away from their small Ohio town to seek their fortunes in New York City and soon find themselves drawn into situations and relationships, particularly with the dazzling Astrid Donal, that change their lives forever.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible