Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

Bright Young Things (edition 2010)

by Anna Godbersen

Member:FutureMrsJoshGroban
Title:Bright Young Things
Authors:Anna Godbersen
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:2012 (inactive), Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:1920s, historical fiction, flappers, gangsters, bootleggers, Prohibition, Jazz Age, New York City, Broadway, rags to riches, runaway bride, friendship, young adult

Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

Ingenue by Jillian Larkin (Hollerama)
    Vixen by Lila Fine (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are YA historical fiction series set during the 1920s.
    The Luxe by Anna Godbersen (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both YA historical fiction series by Anna Godbersen.

Cordelia Grey and Letty Larkspur have always known they don’t belong in the small Midwestern town they grew up in. Together they decide to run away to New York City. Letty dreams of making it big--of seeing her name in lights--but so does every other girl in town. Unfortunately for her, some are willing to do almost anything to make it happen, things she isn’t comfortable with. Cordelia is in search of a father she’s never met. When she finds him, she is thrust into a world of money, glamour...and danger. She befriends Astrid Donal, her half-brothers girlfriend, who becomes her confidante. The three girls experience what the Roaring Twenties had to offer in NYC together, as well as apart.

I became interested in the Roaring Twenties my junior year of high school when we studied it in history, so I was super excited to read a historical fiction novel based in that decade. I’m not sure how accurate any of the information actually is, but it was still cool to read about. I particularly love how during this time women aren’t expected to be prim and proper at all times. Despite being set in this decade though, it mainly focuses on the three teenage girls and what they are going through which makes this relatable and relevant to teen girls now.

I also really liked that the chapters alternated between the three girls perspectives. It was nice because each was seeing a completely different side of the city. We get to see what it might have felt like to be a cigarette girl through Letty. Cordelia’s, as well as Astrid’s, perspective gives us a first hand look into the rich, powerful, and dangerous lives of the bootleggers. Each have very distinct personalities and are all very likable. I always end up having a favorite character by the end, but I don’t think that happened this time. They’re all great!

I adored Anna Godbersen’s Luxe series and this one is just as great. If you haven’t had a chance to read either, get to it! They aren’t too heavy on the historical fiction so these are great even if you aren’t into this genre. ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. I love love love reading about different eras. The Luxe series was really awesome and I just knew this book was going to be just as good. I think Anna Godbersen is one of my favorite authors. Her style of writing is really good. It's easy to follow the plot line and you never know what to expect. I was really excited to read all the Luxe novels and then was doubly excited to read Bright Young Things. I cannot wait for the next novel to come out. This is definitely a must read if you like Young Adult Fiction ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
Cordelia and Letty were two farm girls from Ohio who dreamed of making it big in the N.Y.C. of 1929, and manage to escape their small Ohio town to make a new life for themselves in the Big City. Separated after a falling out, Cordelia reconciles with her long lost bootlegger father and lives the life of the rich and famous, while Letty struggles to make ends meet as a cigarette girl with dreams of becoming a famous singer. Through lies, disappointments, backstabbing and more, they make new friends (and enemies) on their ways to learning that N.Y.C. is not everything they thought it was cracked up to be. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I really liked this book! The author does an amazing job of emerging the reader into the roaring twenties. It is a story of two girls trying to find themselves in Manhattan after living in a small Ohio town. One girl dreams of being an actress and the other wants to find her father, who is a famous bootlegger. There is romance, (some forbidden), glamour, swanky outfits, and some new vocabulary to learn for those like me who were not as familiar with the time period. If you are looking for something new to read that is not dystopian or supernatural, or you like the 1920's and all its fashion and sparkle, you will love this book! ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Apr 26, 2014 |
So not The Luxe. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 26, 2013 |

Anna Godbersenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anna Godbersenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the Roaring Twenties.

Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey escaped their small Midwestern town for New York's glittering metropolis. All Letty wants is to see her name in lights, but she quickly discovers Manhattan is filled with pretty girls who will do anything to be a star. . . .

Cordelia is searching for the father she's never known, a man as infamous for his wild parties as he is for his shadowy schemes. Overnight, she enters a world more thrilling and glamorous than she ever could have imagined—and more dangerous. It's a life anyone would kill for . . . and someone will.

The only person Cordelia can trust is ­Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have it all: money, looks, and the love of Cordelia's brother, Charlie. But Astrid's perfect veneer hides a score of family secrets.

Across the vast lawns of Long Island, in the ­illicit speakeasies of Manhattan, and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, the three girls' fortunes will rise and fall—together and apart. From the New York Times bestselling author of The Luxe comes an epic new series set in the dizzying last summer of the Jazz Age.

In the spring of 1929, eighteen-year-old Cordelia Grey and her stage-struck friend Letty Larkspur run away from their small Ohio town to seek their fortunes in New York City and soon find themselves drawn into situations and relationships, particularly with the dazzling Astrid Donal, that change their lives forever.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,069,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible