Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth (1978)

by Richard J. Foster

In the twenty years since its publication, Celebration of Discipline has helped over a million seekers discover a richer spiritual life infused with joy, peace, and a deeper understanding of God. Hailed by many as the best modern work on Christian spirituality, Celebration of Discipline explores the "classic Disciplines," or central spiritual practices, of the Christian faith. Along the way, Foster shows that it is only by and through these practices that the true path to spiritual growth can be found. Dividing the Disciplines into three movements of the Spirit, Foster shows how each of these areas contributes to a balanced spiritual life. The inward Disciplines of meditation, prayer, fasting, and study offer avenues of personal examination and change. The outward Disciplines of simplicity, solitude, submission, and service help prepare us to make the world a better place. The corporate Disciplines of confession, worship, guidance, and celebration bring us nearer to one another and to God.Foster provides a wealth of examples demonstrating how these Disciplines can become part of our daily activities -- and how they can help us shed our superficial habits and "bring the abundance of God into our lives." The discussion of celebration, often the most neglected of the Disciplines, shows its critical importance -- for it stands at the heart of the way to Christ. Celebration of Discipline will help motivate Christians everywhere to embark on a journey of prayer and spiritual growth.… (more)
    The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives by Dallas Willard (StephenBarkley)
    StephenBarkley: These books are quite complimentary. Same theme, different approaches.

A tad heavy in places, but overall a very inspiring and encouraging read. The apparent oxymoron in the title is the theme of the book: that by willingly submitting to a variety of spiritual disciplines - from solitude to corporate worship - we grow closer to God, more at peace, and more in harmony with who we are supposed to be.

While I didn't agree with every word, much of this book resonated strongly. There's a good balance of Scriptural example, personal anecdote and very gentle direct teaching. The author is not at all authoritarian, and his advice comes in the form of suggestion rather than commands. In those of the 'disciplines' he sees as corporate, he sets out important guidelines, including complete acceptance and non-judgementalism.

Definitely recommended.

Longer review here: https://suesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2020/12/celebration-of-discipline-by-richar... ( )
  SueinCyprus | Dec 10, 2020 |
As someone who didn't grow up a Christian, his practical guide of how to use a discipline was extremely helpful. The chapters on meditation and prayer were especially meaningful to me. However, there were several parts that were just plain rambling. Some sections could have even been cut. Still a good book though. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Reprinted 1978.
  PAFM | Oct 19, 2019 |
check whether hardback or paperback. Should it be shelved as a Spiritual Classic?

Arguably the most established contemporary spiritual classic by our most profound living religious writer. This timeless classic has helped well over a million people discover a richer spiritual life infused with joy, peace and a deeper understanding of God.

The book explores the 'classic disciplines' of Christian faith: the inward disciplines of meditation, prayer, fasting, and study; the outward disciplines of simplicity, solitude, submission and service and the corporate disciplines of confession, worship, guidance and celebration.
  ExeterQuakers | Aug 5, 2019 |
Hailed by many as the best modern book on Christian spirituality, Celebration of Discipline explores the "classic Disciplines," or central spiritual practices, of the Christian faith. Along the way, Foster shows that it is only by and through these practices that the true path to spiritual growth can be found.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Jul 11, 2019 |
I go through life as a transient on his way to eternity, made in the image of God but with that image debased, needing to be taught how to meditate, to worship, to think. - Donald Coggan
To Carolynn wife, counselor, companion, encourager
To Carolynn - wife, counselor, companion, encourager
Superficiality is the curse of our age.  The doctrine of instant satisfaction is a primary spiritual problem.  The disparate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted propel, but for deep people.
Superficiality is the curse of our age.

Celebration of Discipline is a video-based curriculum built on Richard J. Foster's most acclaimed book, Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth.

This 13-session curriculum helps Christians experience formation in Christlikeness through engagement with classic Christian spiritual disciplines and includes:
• 13 motivating presentations by Richard J. Foster;
• practical exercises that bring the disciplines to life;
• conversations among such experts as Richard Foster, Dallas Willard, Margaret Campbell, and Glandion Carney; and
• the inspirational music of George Skramstad and Jim Stewart.

This package contains:
• two DVDs (total run time approx. 300 minutes);
• revised Leader's Guide

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,539,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible