dismiss

The Read-Aloud Handbook (1979)

by Jim Trelease

"The classic million-copy bestselling handbook on reading aloud to children--revised and updated. Recommended by "Dear Abby" upon its first publication in 1982, millions of parents and educators have turned to Jim Trelease's beloved classic for more than three decades to help countless children become avid readers through awakening their imaginations and improving their language skills. It has also been a staple in schools of education for new teachers. This updated edition of The Read-Aloud Handbook discusses the benefits, the rewards, and the importance of reading aloud to children of a new generation. Supported by delightful anecdotes as well as the latest research (including the good and bad news on digital learning), The Read-Aloud Handbook offers proven techniques and strategies for helping children discover the pleasures of reading and setting them on the road to becoming lifelong readers"--… (more)

If you are a parent or an educator, get this book from the library. I read the 7th edition. The first 172 pages pertain to reading, the importance of, etc. I've long been convinced that it's critical to read, read, read to your kids -- and I still learned a lot from this section. Some ideas reinforced, some expounded upon.

The second half of the book contains titles that would make good read-alouds. Sorted by type, and then sorted alphabetically by title within that.

I haven't evaulated many of these titles yet, but I'm writing down a few and will add these to our library list. I feel like it would be a more useful list if books were grouped by age vs. alphabetically.

One thing to note: a good book doesn't necessarily translate to a good read-aloud. Some books are better read to yourself, silently. This book focuses on the ones that are great aloud. ( )
  kaciereads | Apr 9, 2020 |
I used this book a lot when my kids were growing up. Great resource. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Every now and again when I receive new books to shelve, I come across one (or quite a few) that I pull aside to read for myself. That's how I stumbled upon today's book. The Read-Aloud Handbook (7th Edition) by Jim Trelease immediately caught my eye for no other reason than I'm a giant nerd for my profession. :-D The first half of the book is a discussion about the importance of reading and more specifically reading aloud to children from birth to...forever. This is not just Trelease's personal opinion but is backed up by extensive research and a plethora of data on the topic. However, it's not all technical jargon replete with charts and numbers. He uses examples from his own childhood which he describes as 'print rich' with a father who modeled reading habits as well as read to him on a regular basis. He was also fortunate to have a teacher that read aloud to the class each day. (This is a rarity in schools because of the rigorous standardized testing schedules and something I strongly contest.) He also received encouragement from a teacher who sent a note home to his parents praising his behavior and writing capability. (That really can make all the difference, folks!) Trelease also talks about the rearing of his children and their nightly routine of book reading. Perhaps the most compelling parts of this book are the firsthand narratives of the significance of reading aloud throughout childhood and the benefits gained from it. It is chock full of anecdotes from principals, teachers, parents, and librarians and how they did their part to guide the children in their lives to become lifelong learners and readers. I've used quite a few of the 'tips and tricks' that he discusses like using ebooks and audiobooks for visually impaired and illiterate parents in the workshops and one-on-one discussions I've had with parents in my community. (P.S. Wordless picture books are another great resource.) Whether you're a professional in the field of library sciences or education or simply trying to create a love of reading in your own children this is a must have. I bought a copy for myself before I'd even finished reading it! 10/10

Oh and did I mention that the second half contains a Treasury of books subdivided by reading comprehension, age group, genre, and best books for reading aloud? WHY AREN'T YOU READING THIS YET? ( )
  AliceaP | Jul 20, 2018 |
Very inspiring. Great book to give any new parent or teacher. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I LOVED this book--it really inspired me. It is full of interesting stories and examples as well as practical advice about reading to children and how to make positive changes in our families, schools, and communities with regards to literacy and creating a generation of book lovers. ( )
  Janellreads | Oct 18, 2017 |

Jim Treleaseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bennett, JillAdaptorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meek, MargaretForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You may have tangible wealth untold:
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be -
I had a mother who read to me.
--Strickland Gillilan,
"The Reading Mother,"
Best Loved Poems of the American People
To my grandsons, Connor, Tyler, Kiernan, and Tess---the best audiences an old reader-aloud could hope to find.

And to Alvin R. Schmidt, a ninth-grade English teacher in New Jersey who found the time a half-century ago to write to the parents of one of his students to tell them they had a talented child. That vote of confidence has never been forgotten. (6th edition)
Introduction: Taped inside my copy of Charlotte's Web are a note and a photograph of a little boy beside a cake.

Recommended by "Dear Abby" upon its first publication in 1982, millions of parents and educators have turned to Jim Trelease’s beloved classic for more than three decades to help countless children become avid readers through awakening their imaginations and improving their language skills. It has also been a staple in schools of education for new teachers. This updated edition of The Read-Aloud Handbook discusses the benefits, the rewards, and the importance of reading aloud to children of a new generation. Supported by delightful anecdotes as well as the latest research (including the good and bad news on digital learning), The Read-Aloud Handbook offers proven techniques and strategies for helping children discover the pleasures of reading and setting them on the road to becoming lifelong readers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,849,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible