Never Less Than A Lady (Lost Lords) by Mary…

Never Less Than A Lady (Lost Lords) (2010)

by Mary Jo Putney

Absolute favorite thing in this book: the H/h relationship! Let me tell you, what a relief to finally come across a couple that actually converse with each other about their issues and doubts, not just assume what the other party is feeling and so causing melodramatic miscommunication SNAFUs to occur. The author has created something special in this book, a mature and healing relationship between two extremely scarred individuals that I could legitimately see lasting for life.

I adored Ms. Putney’s hero and heroine. She wasn't afraid to use some dark material like domestic abuse and parental/familial neglect to build her character’s personalities and outlook on life. As a result, I felt like they were better-rounded and mature going into their romance than many other romantic leads I can think of. The emotional content of the overall novel was also helped by these characters and their harsh pasts. All that misery just made me want a happy ending for our two all the more. The mutual healing they accomplished for each other had me in tears more than once.

I liked how the author approached the sexy times. When the book started out as a relationship negotiation and the whole “I reserve the right to touch you every day until you say stop” thing came up, I rolled my eyes thinking we were about to embark on a seduction-athon. That trap would have completely killed the story for me. Yet, the author infused her sexy stuff with the same emotional weight as her overall story. PTSD themes and healing were very much present which gave these scenes added weight and made them more than just fluffy candy for romance readers.

This was definitely a great introduction to Mary Jo Putney. I've heard her name before; I don’t think you can read historical romance without hearing it at least once. Yet, I’d never gotten around to her books before. So I’m lucky this was my first as it’s a fantastic one. The romance is beautiful in all its emotional glory. Characters who are well-rounded, mature, and very much adults inhabit this stunning story of love and healing. Highly, highly recommended for lovers of historical romance novels, especially of the Regency period! This is an example I wish more strived for. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 13, 2016 |
This was a pretty good book. The main female character's background made it more action-packed than some Regency romances, but as I read it I wondered if maybe I'm losing my taste for Regency romances, which isn't such a great sign. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
SPOILERS. This is a sweet book. There isn't much plot, and there is a lot of always-easily-satisfying sex.... It might have been more convincing if she had had a little bit of trouble with the physical part.
  franoscar | Dec 19, 2010 |
Putney is always enjoyable, and this one is no exception. Two emotionally and physically damaged people find each other and build a marriage, while coming to terms with their pasts and their tormenters. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Apr 15, 2010 |
Spain, 1812.

War was hell. Letters from relatives could be worse.

Midwife Julia Bancroft has hidden her past. But what will she do when Alexander Randall, the dashing heir to the Earl of Daventry, rescues her from abductors and then, upon learning her dark secret, proposes they wed?

A stirring, sensual story of a rebellious nobleman drawn to a lovely widow with a shocking past.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,053,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible