Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The School Story by Andrew Clements

The School Story (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Andrew Clements, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

Member:stephmo
Title:The School Story
Authors:Andrew Clements
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum (2002), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:listsofbests to get
Tags:unowned, listsofbests, readingrants

The School Story by Andrew Clements (2001)

I liked this story, but I didn't think it was quite as good as [b:Frindle|439173|Frindle|Andrew Clements|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IkhBtImvL._SL75_.jpg|1993854] ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
This one tugged at my heart, when it finally came together. I loved this story, felt very attached to the characters and was truly intrigued by the story as a whole. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

The book was outstanding!! We all loved it! Zoe and Natalie were loveable characters, and the plan they concocted to get Natalie's manuscript published was very entertaining. The book was brilliantly written, extremely enjoyable, and very empowering for children.

I loved the warm, genuine friendship between Zoe and Natalie: Two friends who would do anything for each other and stick by one another.

We haven't yet read anything else by Clements, but we will definitely look into his other novels! ( )
  DarlenesBookNook | Jun 12, 2011 |
Abandon, because I didn't know what is happening in the story even though I back up and re-read. ( )
  ywoo | Oct 15, 2010 |
For Stephanie Owens-Lurie and Rick Richter - without whom, less
~ A C
Natalie couldn't take it.

AUTHOR! AUTHOR!

Natalie's best friend Zoe is sure that the novel Natalie's written is good enough to be published. But how can a twelve-year-old girl publish a book? Natalie's mother is an editor for a big children's publisher, but Natalie doesn't want to ask for any favors.
Then Zoe has a brilliant idea: Natalie can submit her manuscript under a pen name, with Zoe acting as her literary agent. But it's not easy for two sixth graders to put themselves over as grown-ups, even with some help from a couple of real grownups who are supportive but skeptical.
The next best-selling school story may be in their hands - but can Natalie and Zoe pull off their masquerade?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689851863, Paperback)

Don't mess with Zee Zee Reisman from the Sherry Clutch Literary Agency. Especially when she's promoting the hot new novelist Cassandra Day. New York's publishing scene is familiar with tough players like Zee Zee, and impressed by the book she's pushing... but stunned when they find out Zee Zee and Cassandra are both 12-year-old girls. Zee Zee is really Zoe, fiercely loyal and self-assured best friend to Natalie Nelson, a.k.a. Cassandra Day. When Natalie writes a story, a really good story, Zoe is determined to let the whole world know. Using her formidable wits and all the resources available to a well-to-do New York City girl, Zoe, along with their timid English teacher, Ms. Clayton, proceeds to chip away at the challenge. The catch? The editor Natalie wants happens to be her own mother, an editor at Shipley Junior Books. But Natalie wants her authorship to remain a secret to her mom so that she'll get a fair shake. What ensues is a masterfully elaborate plot to get the manuscript in the right hands--and away from the arrogant, unfriendly editor in chief.

A highly original plot with plenty of intriguing side stories makes this a thoroughly satisfying read, especially for future novelists, agents, and editors. The publishing world is explored in just enough detail to gently banish romantic notions, but not to quell enthusiasm. The subplot around Natalie's father, who died four years earlier, is an almost silent but strong undercurrent to the story. This graceful and enjoyable novel from Andrew Clements (the bestselling author of The Janitor's Boy, Frindle, and The Landry News) is illustrated with rather gloomy, yet strangely funny black-and-white drawings from Brian Selznick, the illustrator of Clements' Frindle and The Landry News. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:31 -0400)

After twelve-year-old Natalie writes a wonderful novel, her friend Zoe helps her devise a scheme to get it accepted at the publishing house where Natalie's mother works as an editor. Natalie uses a pseudonym to write her first book, and her friend, Zoe, pretends to be an agent. With a little help from an English teacher, the book exceeds everyone's expectations and becomes a bestseller!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,697,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible